Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Small World for the first time, I couldn't help but feel like I was playing a Euro-ized version of History of the World.

In both games, you take your armies, and branch out from some starting point, capturing territories with little luck involved. Then you do it again with another race/civilization, but you still get points for what your former race/civilization did.

HotW has the advantage that it is based on actual historical civilizations, and thus you get some education, as well as having that feeling that you changed history.

SW has the advantage in that it is much faster to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are similar, but HOTW has the nations showing up in the same place at the same time for the most part. SW isn't like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

HotW is much more interesting than SW, IMHO.

SW is fantasy based and very simple to play; not that I am saying that HotW is more difficult to play, far from it but it is that bit more realistic.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morency
Canada
flag msg tools
another problem with history of the world is that it's a pretty long game... over 5 hours of play instead of the 1 to 2 hours needed for Small World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this has been decreased to 1/2 an hour per player in brief history of the world, History of the world also has some civilisation elements in the form of event cards. Basically it depends whether you want a more epic game (HotW) or a fun fast game (SW). I am buying small world at the moment due to the price difference and availability. But will probably get (BHotW) in a year or so for something a little meatier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.