Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
And now for something completely different:

I have always been fascinated by this subject with regard to Biblical writings. For the Biblical student, and any other who might be interested, here is an observation of the very first passage of Scripture - Gen. 1:1 - in view of the significance of the number of its meaning:

"Inthebeginning created God the heavens and theearth."

There are 7 words in the original Hebrew that complete this first complete statement of the creation account in Gen. 1:1. Additionally, there are 28 letters that make up the this first inspired utterance, or 7 x 4 letters. And then, adding up the values of all 28 letters, the sum of them is 2701. This number has only 2 factors, in addition to 1 and 2701. They are 73 x 37. So we see stamped into this opening statement of creation, the number 7 (God's perfect will) and the number 3 (Father, Son, Holy Spirit), being represented in this statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
What you have there is numerology, not Gematria. Actual Gematria is something Jews have been doing for millenia but there are strict rules about it the first of which is that Gematria cannot prove anything not demonstrable by other means, it can only lend secondary support and must be regarded as nno-literal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the Creation Math that serves as the basis for Creation Science?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
ExcitingJeff wrote:

You have caught on Jeff! And now I can mention that the earth is 7,000 years old. This is incredible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
What you have there is numerology, not Gematria. Actual Gematria is something Jews have been doing for millenia but there are strict rules about it the first of which is that Gematria cannot prove anything not demonstrable by other means, it can only lend secondary support and must be regarded as nno-literal.

Non-literal is all that I am offering, that's fine. It is numerology, but is related to gematria in that the letters are substituted for a numerical value for a word or phrase (see wikipedia definition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
From Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (an excellent book I never got around to reading all of):

Quote:
He threw open the shutters dramatically and pointed. At the corner of the narrow street and the broad avenue, stood a little wooden kiosk, where, presumably, lottery tickets were sold.
“Gentlemen,” he said, “I invite you to go and measure that kiosk. You will see that the length of the counter is one hundred and forty-nine centimeters—in one hundred-billionth of the distance between the earth and the sun. The height at the rear, one hundred and seventy-six centimeters, divided by the width of the window, fifty-six centimeters, is 3.14. The height at the front is nineteen decimeters, equal, in other words, to the number of years of the Greek lunar cycle. The sum of the heights of the two front corners and the two rear corners is one hundred and ninety times two plus one hundred and seventy-six times two, which equals seven hundred and thirty-two, the date of the victory at Poitiers. The thickness of the counter is 3.10 centimeters, and the width of the cornice of the window is 8.8 centimeters. Replacing the numbers before the decimals by the corresponding letters of the alphabet, we obtain C for ten and H for eight, or C10H8, which is the formula for naphthalene.”
“Fantastic,” I said. “You did all these measurements?” “No,” Aglie said. “They were done on another kiosk, by a certain Jean-Pierre Adam. But I would assume that all lottery kiosks have more or less the same dimensions. With numbers you can do anything you like. Suppose I have the sacred number 9 and I want to get the number 1314, date of the execution of Jacques de Molay—a date dear to anyone who, like me, professes devotion to the Templar tradition of knighthood. What do I do? I multiply nine by one hundred and forty-six, the fateful day of the destruction of Carthage. How did I arrive at this? I divided thirteen hundred and fourteen by two, by three, et cetera, until I found a satisfying date. I could also have divided thirteen hundred and fourteen by 6.28, the double of 3.14, and I would have got two hundred and nine. That is the year in which Attalus I, king of Pergamon, joined the anti-Macedonian League. You see?”

Excellent response. However, I am offering the simple math for the very first recording of the numerology for the very first verse penned in the sacred writings. It seems to me quite a significant result. But that is my humble opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caltexn wrote:
ExcitingJeff wrote:

You have caught on Jeff! And now I can mention that the earth is 7,000 years old. This is incredible!

Hmmm. 7,000 years? Miraculously there are 7 days in a week. Now watch this........wait for it.......if I multiply 7 days by 2 I get 14 days, the amount of time in two weeks! This has to mean something important, I'm gonna contact the Pentagon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
caltexn wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Non-literal is all that I am offering, that's fine. It is numerology, but is related to gematria in that the letters are substituted for a numerical value for a word or phrase (see wikipedia definition).
Related to, perhaps, but Gematria is a technical religious term and in spite of surface similarities this isn't it-- whatever Wikipedia might say to the contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.