BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions

Subject: New Denver Area Convention - January 2010 - Volunteers Needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
A new convention will be debuting in January 2010 in Denver, and we are in the process of recruiting volunteers to help get the show on the road. MagnaCon will be held MLK Day weekend (Fri Jan 15 - Sun Jan 17) and will mainly feature board games, with some RPGs. We are aiming to get program info online by mid to late month.

We are currently looking for folks who would like to help out with running board games, RPGs, concessions, operations, etc. If this is you, you can reach MagnaCon at magnacondenver@gmail.com.

Please stay tuned for more info on the convention. We'll post as soon as the site's ready to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Neeff
United States
Rock Springs
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What entails helping out with running a board game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameJunkies wrote:
A new convention will be debuting in January 2010 in Denver, and we are in the process of recruiting volunteers to help get the show on the road. MagnaCon will be held MLK Day weekend (Fri Jan 15 - Sun Jan 17) and will mainly feature board games, with some RPGs. We are aiming to get program info online by mid to late month.

We are currently looking for folks who would like to help out with running board games, RPGs, concessions, operations, etc. If this is you, you can reach MagnaCon at magnacondenver@gmail.com.

Please stay tuned for more info on the convention. We'll post as soon as the site's ready to go!

Do you guys have any idea what part of denver this will be in. I also hope the winter weather won't become too much of an issuesurprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hello!

"Running a game" = Teaching a game rules and overseeing game play during a specific time slot. I need to know the games you want to run in advance (the sooner, the better since the schedule is filling up and these volunteer positions are limited). The official title of this volunteer position in "Game Master" at our convention. I've also seen "Game Judge" at some conventions.

MAGNACon is going to be held in Central Denver, just north of downtown. As of today, there is some basic content on our website at www.MAGNAConDenver.com

We're working on planning a snow date, in case of extreme weather, and starting in 2011, MAGNACon will move to a different date annually so as to not compete (not that we are interested in competing or capable of competing) with GenghisCon in February.

Thanks!
Veronica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Neeff
United States
Rock Springs
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I might be able to help out. I am thinking of doing Cartagena 2, Through the Desert, or Lost Cities the Board Game. Is there I specific game or type of game that I should run? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, Lauren-

I will send you a private Geek Mail with details. Thanks for your generous offer to help out!

~Veronica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin (just call me Q) Antrim
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in running some games for this convention. I could run old and/or new games. If you have something in partcular in mind, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh...I wondered what this was as I read about it on the Denver Gamers Yahoo list. I thought it was an anime con with the Magna on the front. I assume lots of people will come to the conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hopefully not, as the anime you're referring to is manGa and not maGna... but, yes, we may run into that. Unfortunately, right now we're stuck with the name and we'll have to see how things pan out. If you go to our site: www.magnacondenver.com, there is a nice explanation of why we chose this name, which stems from the term magnanimous.

I'm getting back to anyone interested in running games via geekmail, so keep them coming here and I'll be sure to shoot you a note. Or, visit the site and contact us that way too.

Thanks!
Veronica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there possibly with a buddy of mine. Going to bring some games so hopefully you will have good attendance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno if I can attended, but I'll gladly donate to your cause. You should have information and links about who you're raising money for and why along with you convention materials.

Great job so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
There is info about the causes online: http://www.magnacondenver.com/content/our-beneficiaries

Seems we need to make this more obvious though then. Thanks for the input!

Once pre-sale passes are available (which will be approximately November 1st), we will also have the option for people to be able to donate funds to the Whittier Community Center via our site. We're putting our heads together on possible ways to help out the food bank for those who cannot make it to the event as well. Those will be announced around the 1st of November.

Thanks again,
Veronica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent! Be sure to stay tuned to the site for more info on the schedule, etc. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardGameJunkies wrote:
Hopefully not, as the anime you're referring to is manGa and not maGna... but, yes, we may run into that. Unfortunately, right now we're stuck with the name and we'll have to see how things pan out. If you go to our site: www.magnacondenver.com, there is a nice explanation of why we chose this name, which stems from the term magnanimous.

I'm getting back to anyone interested in running games via geekmail, so keep them coming here and I'll be sure to shoot you a note. Or, visit the site and contact us that way too.

Thanks!
Veronica

Yeah, I saw the website and it helped. Just at a quick glance, it is confusing, but I hope it works out well. I will try and pop by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Crap - You Guys Rock!!! meeple

This is the coolest thing I have heard about in a long time I am very happy for you, and proud of you and am very excited for you and your new con and hope it does great.

So I take it you have open Gaming Tables and games Library?

I am so surprise Buckeye Game Fest only gets 300 people, Cabs is so big I would except a lot more in a city as big as columbus - kinda makes me think the gaming community is not as big as we would like to think, and yet Origins brings in 13,000 people in the some town.

For me if a convention has a play and win thing going with some small game companies I would be more likely to make sure I got their. Hasbro use to do a win a wave small tourney for Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie all day long at GenCon and hand out prizes it was great, I was very very sad to see that missing this year soblue

I would almost wonder if you should try and have Trivial Pursuit tourney, or Apples to Apples or a few big party games and give out some game prize but advertise to the coffee shop crowd.

I think for your area you should try and get a bunch of people with kids who love games to run some kids education games and try and market to the school ( Over 25 really fun, fast, educational games you can enjoy playing with your kids - Play and get a chance to win the game you played. --- Have the same game played a few times the first day, the 2nd day all the winners play for the game. But people love tourneys and the chance to win something.

Maybe put more info on the community center and see if people here will donate games for prizes since it is for a good cause and it so helps the community.

Not sure if those are good ideas but I got a bunch of them, I am knee deep in play testing a game I have designed and an very happy with it so far, and have been doing so much research about getting it published and all the options, I am still happy with the direction I am going, but I am salesman, have been all my life and looking at all angles what I really thought about being a designer is this................

Yea right, not a chance, think smart where is the $ in making games, look a the bigger picture of games........................

Conventions- That is where the $ is, it would take a few years to build up but it could be done a whole heck of a lot easier then you could make $ from a game ( at least for me as I do not see me making a million dollar party game - but hey who knows ). Hard to be the huge band, easier to run a big festival.

I Love your Idea, start small charge a little and let it bring people in the first few years.

So do you have special guest yet?

Any Vendors yet?

Costume Contest?

Get someone at www.Heroscaper.com to have a 1 or 2 day Heroscape Tournament -- we are fanatics, and we host tourneys all over the country all the time, we all bring a prize and then some so everyone everyone goes home with a prize ( even the guy in last place who did not win one game all day ), it is utterly amazing I tell you, the winner gets some great swag usually killer custom stuff people are making. It should bring you 15 - 30 more people, again if you offer up even something small as a prize it is big, maybe Contact Hasbro and see if they would donate if you find someone to run it?

I am not sure how the other games are with fanatics, but if they are anything like the Heroscape Crowd you want to find 10 or so games where the fans host their own tourney all over the place all the time. I will actually ask the Heroscape community for you, they might have heard of me over there?

Are you in a local gaming group?

I would think if you had church going gamer friends it might be great if they could try and get some free PR going there, it is for a good cause.

Have a great Day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Junkies
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Hello-

OK, so here's the scoop on a few things since you asked...

This will be a SMALL convention to start. My next blog post to the MAGNACon site will actually address that issue specifically. Small to start, a couple hundred maximum, but we are hoping to grow.

And, yes, there will be a gaming library on hand, put together by the volunteers. Eventually, the Community Center will have its own gaming library on hand. That's one of our eventual fundraising goals.

Open gaming tables are a MUST, and one of my personal MUST ALWAYS HAVE available items at this convention.

Your other suggestions are great, and I will take them into consideration for 2010 and/or future years. Right now, we're mostly limited by space.

Thanks for your encouragement! We should have some info updates within the next week or two.

~Veronica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.