Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
My friend and I played through Mission 1 four times today (alternating roles . . . with only one SM win!) and then Mission 3 twice.

We learned a few things along the way.

Marines
Overwatch is the key to success. Lock down halls with an overwatcher. GS can rarely get 3 spaces without a kill when you consider the use of sustained fire (hits on 5 or 6).

Time is of the essence. Identify the quickest route to victory and take it. You're going to need to get lucky sometime, don't put it off with cautious play. Press forward before the GS hordes can amass. Fortune Favors the Bold!

Use your CPs wisely. Don't burn them up on unnecessary moves, save them for 2AP actions like placing men on overwatch and firing the flamer.(looks like we got that rule wrong blush ) Press forward with your regular AP.

Guard your rear. One man on overwatch might seem costly to cover a blip that might just be a 1. But mistakes are costly and genestealers are quick. Even a single GS can rip through marines that failed to consider the threat they pose. A failed flank is a failed mission.

Use your flamer to shut down GS movement. Flaming an intersection turn after turn might seem wasteful with only 6 shots but it can isolate valuable Stealers that would otherwise overwhelm you.

Keep your lines of advance clear. Your worst enemy is often yourself. A sluggish SM can cause men behind him to waste APs waiting to get by. This takes considered planning and 4 minutes isn't enough time. Use the GS turn to think about your next moves -- it's fun to watch the havoc but don't lose focus on critical actions in your next turn.

Save a CP or two for the GS turn. A man on overwatch is dead if his gun jams. A CP in reserve can let you unjam and keep firing. Extra CP can also be used to: place a man on Guard when he's about to be close assaulted, fire up that flamer at a key chokepoint, backup that one space to avoid a close assault.

GeneStealers
Act quickly, don't give your opponent a chance to plan their next move. Creating a sense of urgency can unnerve a SM commander and cause him to make mistakes.

Lurk around corners. If you are ahead of the SM advance, don't give him a target. Find a choke point and let him come to you. If you are behind, slow him down by staying just out of sight and forcing a rear guard action.

Threaten the flanks. A single blip can cause great concern for the SM and cause him to dedicate a valuable marine to overwatch his flank. Use that uncertainty by presenting threats from multiple directions. If he fails to cover you, make him pay dearly for it.

There's the meat, go get it. Sometimes you need to charge that guy on overwatch at the end of the hall and hope he gets a jam that he can't clear.

It's often advantageous to reveal a 2 or 3 blip early to allow you to place a GS one space ahead of the blip. It's like a free move!

That's it for now. Let me know if you, more experienced players, think I missed the mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

Guard your rear.

Always good advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Let me know if you, more experienced players, think I missed the mark.

Looks like you nailed it. Great summation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Get your guys in position and spend a CP to go on Overwatch or light up an intersection with the flamer.

Spend "a" Command Point to go on overwatch? It costs 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - all good stuff, but it does seem like you are playing CP wrong. You can use CP in the stealer turn to make ONE action each time a stealer does an action that leaves it in LOS. That action can cost any amount of CP, but you have to pay the correct amount.

So:

1CP to shoot, 2CP to fire the flamer, 2CP to guard, 2CP to go into overwatch, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
This takes considered planning and 4 minutes isn't enough time.

Three minutes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Fivepast wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Three minutes?

Pedantic much?

Actually, I have heard some people saying their timer runs slow, so maybe this isn't far off the mark sometimes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Fivepast wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Three minutes?

Well, I didn't time my timer but I thought I read somewhere that it was 4. The rules don't state the time limit (that I could find).

Three is crazy fast but damn if it doesn't make the game twice as awesome. My group is very AP prone, this really keeps the game moving along.

BTW, we ran into situations where a SM turn was over with the timer half empty and then the GS finish their turn quickly. Clear the board of markers. Draw CPs and still have sand in the timer!

So the SMs got some bonus playtime while waiting for the timer to empty.

I learned later on that if you end your SM turn early, don't just say "done". Use the rest of your time to consider what you might be facing during the GS turn. Where you might spend CP and what you need to accomplish on your next turn. Setting small objectives for each turn ("Secure that intersection","Get a man on overwatch securing that hall", etc) can make your turns faster and more effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Nilsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Fivepast wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Three minutes?

Pedantic much?

Two minutes fifty seconds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Grady
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealer Tip: close the doors behind you.

It might seem a waste of an AP but if you arent in a line of fire, its going to preserve your blips behind it, and burn up SM APs he has less of to open it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
Monstrum wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Fivepast wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

Three minutes?

Pedantic much?

Two minutes fifty seconds!

Mine also runs faster than 3 minutes... looks like about 2:40?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.