Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Crawford
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a review of the sports game Sports Action Canadian Pro Football.

The game I own has cards for the 1981 season and I bought this many many years ago and have played it numerous times and thoroughly enjoyed the experiences. I have not played it though until just this past month as it had been packed away and only now have I unpacked all my games and put them back in a bookshelf.

So I thought I would do a review of the basic game first. I am planning on playing the advanced game in the coming weeks and will probably do a review then. The advanced game adds so much more to the basic game and is worth playing if you plan on playing this game. The basic game is ok for learning the system but I think you want to soon advance to playing the advanced game.

First off the game components are ok. Nice colour board with a field and time keeping area as well as areas to place markers to indicate downs and quarter. The pieces are made out of card stock and comprise a football and 10 yard marker. You get 2 play selection cards to call your plays with as well as a rulebook, CFL Playboard that contains various charts such as penalties, turnovers etc. and of course 4 dice. Each team is represented by a set of cards and there is a set of formation cards to use in the advanced game.

Lay everything out and select your team. Then you must lay out your player cards by position as well as a quarterback, defense team card, kicker cards and returner cards.

The game play is as follows. One player kicks off. You find the kickers card and roll 4 dice. The white dice tell you how far the ball has gone as well as which column on the returner card to use to determine how far they ran the ball back. The red dice tell you which returner to use. Each play moves the clock 30 seconds. Move the 10 yard marker, set the ball on the line of scrimmage then you are ready for downs.

Secretly both players set their plays by adjusting markers on their basic play call selector cards. The defensive player places a marker on the numbered circles on their card to determine if they are expecting to defend against a run or pass. If you expect to defend against a run select a low number and a high number against a pass. The offensive player then selects the type of play to run by placing a marker on their play call selector card and it can be a run or a pass, and if you select a pass then you must select short medium or long. Then you select a position of the player either running or receiving the pass.

The offensive player rolls the dice and use the red dice and consult the defensive team card of the defender to determine if there are any modifiers or penalties etc. You can get modifiers such as -1 which means you move your marker one position to the left, which is easier to pass against but harder to run. Each team has modifiers based on its performance that season. Edmonton for example is good against the long pass so often you will get a modifier of +3 against the long pass when passing against Edmonton. Now If the play is a run then you cross reference on their card the defense number and the white dice roll to determine the number of yards gained or lost. If it’s a pass you do the same thing but consult the quarterback’s card to determine if the pass is complete. If it is then you go to the players card indicated on your play call selector card and roll the dice to determine the yards gained on the play. The ball marker is moved according to the number of yards gained or lost. If you have not gotten 10 yards then the chains don’t move but you move the clock 30 seconds and place a marker on the 2nd down circle and the same procedure is performed again.

You can get penalties both defensive and offensive if there is a P on the row and column selected on the player or defensive team card. You then roll on the penalty table to determine what it is and how many yards. Interceptions can occur as well as pass rushes which add a level of unknown and excitement to the game.

A game should take between an hour to an hour and a half to play depending on how fast you play. For its time I think this is a great game. I like that you get to use actual player stats when resolving your plays rather than just team stats. It adds a nice personal touch. Unfortunately there are no cards after 1986. Still this is a game I recommend anyone who is a CFL fan to try at least once if you enjoy sports games.

Components: 7/10
Replay Ability: 10/10
Number of Players: 2
Overall Rating 8.5/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Taylor
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this is an excellent game. I haven't played it in awhile. I created my own solitaire league for Second Season and that has been taking up most of my gaming time. Getting back to SAG Canadian Pro Football, this game also plays great solitaire.
This game rates up there with Strat-O-Matic for head-to-head play and Second Season for solitaire play. If you enjoy stat based football games (whether or not you follow the CFL) you'll enjoy SAG Canadian Pro Football.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks really interesting, still trying to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Taylor
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To download a print and play copy, check out:
http://www.tabletop-sports.com/

Go to Downloads-football games-SAG Canadian Football
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise
WOW Thanks for the Link!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
Canada
flag msg tools
Just picked up a copy of this game with the 1981 season myself, and have tried the basic version (solitaire) so far, with some friends coming over soon so we can try it head-to-head.

Agree with the review; it's a well-thoughtout game, and I can see getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. Hopefully I can track down other sets (thanks for those who have pointed out the 5 seasons available on tabletop-sports.com!) and even mix-and-match teams -- how would the 1977 Montreal Alouettes do vs the 1983 Toronto Argonauts, etc, etc.

Thanks for the review!

Mike in Victoria, Canada
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.