KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
A few questions after our first play:

Shipping Goods Questions:

(1) If a player delivers a goods cube in a town but has no more steam points to continue to move, are they able to pick up another goods cube in that town?

Based on these sentences in the rules: "It does not cost any additional steam to pick up, carry or deliver goods." & "If a train carrying a goods cube ends its movement in a town, but the color of the goods cube does not match the town, the good must be automatically unloaded and is available for any player to pick up on his turn." it would appear this is permitted since the train was not carrying it when it ended its movement and pick up does not require any steam. Please confirm.

If the answer is yes, three other related questions: (2) On the players following turn, if she places a tile (thereby not moving from the town tile but still carrying the goods cube), does the goods cube need to be unloaded? Again, based on the wording above, since the train never moved this turn, I would think not, but please confirm. (3) If it does not need to be unloaded, can the player choose to unload a goods cube if she wants to in this case? The rules seem to imply that a goods cube cannot be unloaded unless the train stops movement in a town of a color different from the good. (4) If no unloading is permitted in (3) or (4), would the player be able to leave the town one track, stop their turn and on their next turn, turnaround and stop back in the same town they picked it up in to unload (not deliver) the cube, having now met the unloading requirements by ending their movement in the town - and would it matter if the town was the same color or different color from the good)?

End of Game and Scoring Questions:

(1) I have only played one 4-player games so far, but noticed that there are no modifications to the set up or end game conditions with fewer players. I am sure I don't fully appreciate the subtleties of the game yet, but does this become a race to 13 points with 2-3 players since there is the same amount of ways to score points but less competition to do them? Just seemed like a game that would have some adjustments for # of players so I would be interested in how the typical game ends with 2 or 3.

(2) Since steam points at the end of the game can be a tie breaker, would it also include any Coal Cubes a player had left? If not, is it best for a player to just turn them in for Steam Points if she thinks the game will be ending soon?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
A few questions after our first play:

Shipping Goods Questions:

(1) If a player delivers a goods cube in a town but has no more steam points to continue to move, are they able to pick up another goods cube in that town?

Based on these sentences in the rules: "It does not cost any additional steam to pick up, carry or deliver goods." & "If a train carrying a goods cube ends its movement in a town, but the color of the goods cube does not match the town, the good must be automatically unloaded and is available for any player to pick up on his turn." it would appear this is permitted since the train was not carrying it when it ended its movement and pick up does not require any steam. Please confirm.

If the answer is yes, three other related questions: (2) On the players following turn, if she places a tile (thereby not moving from the town tile but still carrying the goods cube), does the goods cube need to be unloaded? Again, based on the wording above, since the train never moved this turn, I would think not, but please confirm. (3) If it does not need to be unloaded, can the player choose to unload a goods cube if she wants to in this case? The rules seem to imply that a goods cube cannot be unloaded unless the train stops movement in a town of a color different from the good. (4) If no unloading is permitted in (3) or (4), would the player be able to leave the town one track, stop their turn and on their next turn, turnaround and stop back in the same town they picked it up in to unload (not deliver) the cube, having now met the unloading requirements by ending their movement in the town - and would it matter if the town was the same color or different color from the good)?

My understanding is that the idea is that any loco in a town cannot have a goods cube loaded and therefore prevent another player moving through and picking it up. You have to move off the town to ensure that you keep the cube so that it can't be taken off you - and avoid stopping in any intermediate town before you deliver it to a town of the same colour as the cube.

Quote:

End of Game and Scoring Questions:

(1) I have only played one 4-player games so far, but noticed that there are no modifications to the set up or end game conditions with fewer players. I am sure I don't fully appreciate the subtleties of the game yet, but does this become a race to 13 points with 2-3 players since there is the same amount of ways to score points but less competition to do them? Just seemed like a game that would have some adjustments for # of players so I would be interested in how the typical game ends with 2 or 3.

Yes - and it's also quite easy for a four-player game to be mainly a race to 13. Just depends on how you play.

Quote:

(2) Since steam points at the end of the game can be a tie breaker, would it also include any Coal Cubes a player had left? If not, is it best for a player to just turn them in for Steam Points if she thinks the game will be ending soon?

Thanks

That's not clear. My opinion would be that coal cubes do not count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Michael
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary is correct on all counts. (Thanks Gary).

Goods in a town do not belong to any player. Just as when they are transported into a town and your train stops the cube is automatically unloaded, you cannot load a good until the turn you move your train out of the town. Blame the union. In one instance they insist on the work. In the other instance they won't do the work until the last moment. Go figure. It alleviates the need to remember who owns the goods in a town. No one does.

Yes - the set up and victory conditions remain the same for 2-4 players. It is a race to 13 points, or as many as you can get before the track tiles run out. While the total number of goods stays the same the rate of their availability generally increases with more players.

Steam points are the tie breaker so cash the coal in at your earliest convenience. This does depend on turn order. So in a tight game you may want to be the player that places the last town tile which releases the coal, to be sure you can convert yours into steam.
If you do not like the gameiness of this solution feel free to include a house tie breaker that includes coal. But running out of track tiles before someone scores 13 AND having a tie should be a relatively rare occurrence. I hope you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.