Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently found a copy of Struggle of Empires at a local store. It's $60 and I'm not sure if I should pick it up. Is this going to be reprinted? If so, will it be anytime soon? It looks like a great game. A concern I have is if my gaming group will enjoy it. So far we are enjoying Acquire and Power Grid. Power Grid is the game of choice when it comes to this group. I understand SoE is a deeper game, but the fact that it may be hard to find is what's attracting me to purchase it. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
1) you should be able to find that cheaper
2) buy Through the Ages when its 3rd printing comes out instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know whether it's more cheaply available: Marc's probably right. But I find SoE superior to TtA. TtA doesn't take 4.5 hours, though, if that's a factor with your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo
mbmbmbmbmb
$60 is a decent price for SoE. You may be able to find it cheaper online (i.e. Ebay), but then you have to consider additional shipping cost as well as the extra time to ship. Also, $60-$70 is about what it would cost to get a new game from MW's Treefrog line. SoE is well worth paying $60 for.

I don't understand the suggestion for TtA. I like that game too, but I wouldn't say it replaces SoE. In fact, SoE is an empire-building game of (predominately) conquest. TtA is a civilization building game with some conquest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Desiderata wrote:
$60 is a decent price for SoE. You may be able to find it cheaper online (i.e. Ebay), but then you have to consider additional shipping cost as well as the extra time to ship. Also, $60-$70 is about what it would cost to get a new game from MW's Treefrog line. SoE is well worth paying $60 for.

I second that. I was lucky to get 20% discount but when combined with shipping cost it all grossed out to $60, more or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
SoE is an excellent game, and out of print, so I don't find that $60 pricetag to unreasonable. I would be the first to say got with TtA, but save a headache and wait for the new printing, and then wait even longer to make sure they didn't mess it up "again". Meanwhile, SoE is a must have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires has nothing to do with Through the Ages. Recommending the second to replace the first one is like recommending Agricola to someone who's looking for advice to buy a new stereo system for his car.

SoE rules, it's worth $60, and it's much better than the Conquest of Empires version that Eagle games released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered Endeavor? Its cheaper and a very good game as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Romian wrote:
Have you considered Endeavor? Its cheaper and a very good game as well

More abstract, less depth and of too much hype :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor has nothing on Struggle of Empires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
BrenoK wrote:

Well, it has been compared to SoE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anyone asking the most pertinent question: how many people are you playing Acquire and Power Grid with? Because Struggle of Empires wants to be played with 5 or with 7. In a three-player game, one player will be devastated by the alliance system. With an even number of players, the alliance system doesn't come off nearly as well. You want the asymmetry, but not the huge risk to one player. So, 5 or 7. SoE also takes 1/2 hour per player. That means 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 hours.

That information might be enough to decide against the game.

If not, then I'll continue by saying that SoE is way more involved that Acquire, and slightly more so than Power Grid. I do think it would be an awesome game for a stable group that prefers to get to know a game through repeat play. SoE is an area majority game crossed with a wargame. It's essentially El Grande with armies, variable player powers, and a weird pay-to-play treaty system.

I like Struggle of Empires. If you have a group of 5 that you play Power Grid with, I could see it being a big hit. It's longer, less scalable, more aggressive, and "making money" isn't an integral part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
SoE is a fantastic game and well worth the price IMO. The Conquest of the Empire II version is good, but not as good as the original SoE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grouchysmurf wrote:
BrenoK wrote:

Well, it has been compared to SoE.

Yeah, I'm aware of it, but the gameplay is really nothing like it. Endeavor is an 80 minute silent affair of gathering VPs from card/chit collecting and map connections. Struggle of Empires is a 200-minute area-majority game heavily based on negotiation, direct conflict, auctions and special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three of us who will play Power Grid at anytime , but we have played multiple 5 player games as well. Most of these people are new to games. I started them with Acquire and threw in Power Grid quickly after and it's worked out great. I understand that SoE is way more involved. I just didn't know if I should pull the trigger on the game because its out of print. That's why I wanted to know if it's being reprinted.

On another note, I was mostly interested in Steam as the next big game and then came across Chicago Express. CE is supposed to be a little lighter and since it is a stock market game I figured it would work best. Steam just seems like a great game and something slightly different. Struggle of Empires basically took me by surprise cause I found it and figured it may be a smart purchase because of its availability. Not to mention I am definately interested in it. What to do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely get SoE, I don't think it'll be reprinted anytime soon, and it's definitely my favorite conflict game. You'll always find steam and chicago express some other time (Mayfair announced that they plan on keeping Steam permanently available at stores), but this could be your only chance of getting SoE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wilhelm
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick search for copies of Struggle of Empires that have recently ended on eBay suggests that this game is available for less than $60, but I know for a fact that availability is spotty at best. I've been browsing for a copy since Origins and have so far been unsuccessful in paying attention at the right times.

CotE2 is relatively close to SoE, although I agree that SoE is the better game. However, it's pretty inexpensive (I picked up my copy for less than $40), it's widely available, and it might be a good low investment alternative to SoE to find out if that kind of game is something your gaming group would enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another alternative might be Martin Wallace's new Rise of Empires, which is similar in theme (though encompassing a far greater swath of history) and somewhat similar in gameplay (variable player powers, area control). I think it's a shorter and somewhat less complex game than Struggle of Empires, but I haven't played it enough to say for sure yet. However, I'm fairly sure it will play well with three as well as four or five, which might be a point in its favor in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
absurdjohnny wrote:
What to do...

SoE is a completely different beast than those you play with your group. It is long (200 minutes is a laugh; this game is best played with full crew and it takes then more then five hours), full of negotiation and conflict game of warfare and diplomacy. The manual is badly written and FAQ comes in handy more often than it should (it's best to have someone who actually knows the game).

Steam, on the other hand, features less interaction, is more streamlined, from the lack of better term by which I mean it has clean, well written and relatively simple rules, less interaction and conflict and is definitely more approachable.

What to do... Well, if I were you I would get both. $60 seems to be OK-ish price. Steam will be in stores for long but it's always better to have two games instead of just one.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Spielboy has a great price tracking tool that can be used to see trends in pricing for a game on BGG marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.