Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be any advance copies of this game available for sale at BGG Con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't look like it will be available for sale. Will there be any copies available for demo? (even prototype copies?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leonhard
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about advance copies, but Jason will be attending and should have a prototype with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
As is widely known now, copies were available, and the game is a delight!

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
As is widely known now, copies were available, and the game is a delight!

-MMM

I'm hoping for some first impressions from the people who got to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I made comments with my rating....

In short....

Quick playing game and with only 4 states active at any one time, there is a lot more back and forth here compared to say 1960 and Twilight Struggle where players can work in different regions of the map.

Rules are very simple (in fact, explained the game to several folks as I saw them opening the box to play). All the games I played were tense affairs coming to the end. First game, I lost as McCain as I ran out of cards at a critical junction allowing my opponent to gain the margin of victory. The second game came down to the final state...which happened to be Ohio for the win.

Several neat mechanisms in the game. The card drafting (you only use 15 of the 45 cards in a game) as well as the decisions about which states to put forth, etc make for a tense, quick playing game that appears to have great replayability.

And if it counts for anything...lots of table talk and fun trash talk in the games I've played. Had a blast with it and glad I got it early at the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played three games. Twice as Obama and once as McCain. I won all three, and all three played very differently.

The first was with the preset decks. I suggest skipping that and going straight to deck construction. The preset decks give you a sense of the core of the game, but they are completely balanced. The fun in this game is the asymmetry created through deck construction, so balanced decks were a bit dry. It's easy enough to grasp what you need to do in the game without needing the presets, and it plays quickly enough that even a craptastic deck won't leave you suffering for long.

The second and third games used the drafting rules and played quite differently from one another. One had a number of "going negative" cards on each side, as well as a media control card for McCain that made all his going negative cards repercussion-free.

The third game had zero going negative cards on either side - both players delved heavily into wooing key demographics. This made the key demographic toggle a HUGE part of the game when it was only a minor consideration in the previous games.

Love the design. In my ratings comments I compare the tone of the gameplay favorably to Blue Moon, one of my favorite card games. Very glad I impulse bought it at the con!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Octavian wrote:
This made the key demographic toggle a HUGE part of the game when it was only a minor consideration in the previous games.

Yep. In the pre-constructed decks (basic game) there are only two demographics that matter. Catholics for McCain and Reagan Democrats for Obama. I told new players about this so that they didn't worry too much about this part of the game for the basic game beyond those two.

Card drafting is a key part of this game and lets the player truly be the campaign manager - developing and working a strategy for their candidate to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.