19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Would you enjoy a games related holiday break? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: UK [+] [View All]
tony ferri
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My brother died in May, he was only 51. He was my best friend as well as my brother and I miss him a great deal.

He had a very large collection of board games, mostly from the 60's, 70's and 80's. I have not made an inventory of all of them but there are over 700 I think.

He also had a large collection of television related material from the same period books, annuals, comics, DVD's and VHS tapes. He was a great fan of Doctor Who and had every episode in either video or audio form.

I am toying with the idea of setting up a holiday cottage somewhere, where enthusiasts and fans could have a relaxing weekend or week immersing themselves in all this stuff.

For a sixties/seventies child I think it would be a cornucopia of delights!

I don't want to sell the stuff because it all meant a lot to him and I think it would be a nice tribute to him. I like the idea of fans and enthusiasts of all ages being able to enjoy something that meant so much to him.

Before I commit to doing it, however, it would be useful to know whether enthusiasts would actually enjoy this kind of holiday (or whether its just my own fantasy of a good time!) and what sort of things they would expect and if it is something they could afford. I am thinking that if I found somewhere in a nice location with three bedrooms, enthusiasts could share the cost and make it an affordable and fun break.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All work and no play?
You are starting a business, with all that entails, plus the worry that someone selfish may trample on your fond memories.
Think it through. If you are confident carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sincere condolences on your loss.

As far as the meet goes I would, my partner wouldn't so I wouldn't get away with it as a holiday. Not sure how many people you are planning to invite or how you will transport all the memorabilia for that matter. Would you not be better of finding a cheap B&B or holiday park (possibly local to you) with plenty of rooms available for that particular weekend. Make it like a minicon in your brother's memory.

If it ends up in the South West I'd certainly come for the day and possibly spend night in a tent rather than share a bedroom with 2/3 total strangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony, it might help people to decide if they knew what games were available. You could register another account and add the collection there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony ferri
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Darren,

I am thinking of a permanent holiday cottage - something I could let out and also make use of myself.

I would like to put all my brothers stuff in it so that people could enjoy it - but your average holiday cottage renter would just want an empty cottage.

You have hit on a fundamental point - a gaming enthusiast or a Doctor Who enthusiast might be in seventh heaven with all this around them - but would their partner let them book a holiday like that!

Enthusiasts might get away with booking a week away without their partner (much as I imagine that anglers do!) but that depends on them being able to book it with other enthusiasts that they enjoy being with - as you say you might not want to share a cottage with total strangers.

I realise that there are a number of board game enthusiast clubs but I don't know if they would actually want to go away on holiday together!

Cheers

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony ferri
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have only just stated collating them all but as a taster - this is the first batch I have been through - it represents about a 1/6th of the total I think.

1. 1829
2. AND THEY'RE OFF
3. BERMUDA TRIANGLE
4. BIG BOSS
5. BORODINO
6. BUREAUCRACY
7. BY JOVE
8. CARAMBA
9. COOK TOURS
10. COUP D'ETAT
11. CUL DE SAC
12. EXECUTIVE DECISION
13. FOREIGN EXCHANGE
14. FORTUNE
15. FOURSIGHT
16. FRIGATE
17. GAME OF DRACULA
18. GETTYSBURG
19. GLOBAL WAR
20. GOLDRUSH
21. GOLFWINKS
22. GRENADIER
23. JUDGE DREAD
24. JUGGERNAUT
25. KGB
26. KRIEGSPIEL
27. LUNARTIK
28. MAKAHIT
29. MEDITRRANEAN
30. MICRODOT
31. MIDLIFE CRISIS
32. MONOPOLY AMERICAN
33. MONOPOLY AUSTRIAN
34. MONOPOLY DANISH?
35. MONOPOLY FRENCH
36. MONOPOLY ITALIAN
37. MONOPOLY SOUTH AFRICA
38. MONOPOLY SWEDISH
39. MR PRESIDENT
40. MYSTERIES OF PEKING
41. NEWSDESK
42. ORGANIZED CRIME
43. ORIGINS OF WORLD WAR
44. PANZERBLITZ
45. PLAYING SHAKESPEARE
46. POLICE STATE
47. POWERPLAY
48. RANCHER
49. RATRACE
50. RICHTHOFEN'S WAR
51. RISE AND DECLINE OF THE THIRD REICH
52. SCOTLAND YARD
53. SHERLOCK HOLMES CONSULTING DETECTIVE
54. SINAI
55. SOCCERBOSS
56. SOLDIERS
57. SORCEROR
58. SORRY
59. SPECULATE
60. STARSHIP TROOPERS
61. SUPERSELL
62. THE ADMINISTRATIVE WALTZ
63. THE ARAB ISRAELI WARS
64. THE GAME OF NATIONS
65. THE GODFATHER GAME
66. THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY
67. THE LONDON GAME
68. THE MAGNIFICENT RACE
69. THE NEIGHBOURS GAME
70. THE PARTY GAME
71. THE SIGMA FILE
72. THE STATELY HOMES OF ENGLAND
73. THE STOCK MARGET GAME
74. TOP CLUB SOCCER
75. TOP TEAM
76. TYCOON
77. VICTORY IN THE PACIFIC
78. WAR AND PEACE
79. WEMBLEY
80. WHOSIT
81. WIDE WORLD
82. WILDLIFE
83. WORDSWORTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony ferri
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Alan,

Yes, I take your point. I am getting older and the profession I am in is a young mans game. I need to think of something that I would enjoy and bring in a modest income - so it does need to be a business.

I could just set up an ordinary holiday cottage that I could rent out and use myself part of the time but it seems a shame not to let others enjoy my brothers collection.

It is possible that people could abuse the trust I would be placing in them.

I appreciate that he had some rare items in his collection and their might be the temptation to make off with pieces?

I suppose it depends on how much faith I decide I can place in people.

Regards

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correction:

tonybannister wrote:

It is possible that people could abuse the trust I would be placing in them.

Try "inevitable that people would"

No offense intended to the great people of England, just to the not so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony ferri
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi David,

Yes, I suppose that is always the problem - there are a few people who spoil things for the majority.

I would not want to get too anal about it, but perhaps I could have some kind of booking in and out procedure for the more valuable items?

If people knew that you were going to be checking on the condition of the games they might be more thoughtful. Very few of the games are in pristine condition - most have been extensively played, so they are not in the kind of mint condition that makes them really valuable.

Cheers

Tony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry to sound negative but I can't see it working.

Why would a gamer want to rent a cottage with pre-stocked games, some of which he may or may not like. The biggest issue most gamers face is not lack of games but lack of opponants.

So who is your taget audience? and why would they choose your cottage rather than going to the many gaming conventions that are held across the UK?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony ferri
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi David,

I take your point - I suppose I was thinking that if you were a board game fan you might be more attracted to a holiday cottage that offered a big range of games than a bog standard holiday cottage. But I see your point, the problem is not with having games to play but someone to play them with.

I suppose my target audience is people who generally book cottage holidays but are looking for something a bit different and that offers a lot entertainments, in itself, that others do not - particularly with British weather being the way it is.

But I admit I don't know a great deal about gaming conventions, which as you say perhaps offer greater attractions.

How do they work? Do people bring along a selection of games?

I'll have to give one a try - I used to play these games with my brother, and occasionally persuaded my teenage kids to play but they have gone from being a mainstream pastime when I was a kid to a bit of a niche entertainment.

Cheers

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tony,
sincere condolences for the loss of your brother. My brother too is my best friend and I couldn't bear to think of losing him.

I think you have a great idea and a unique one too. I have a small group of friends that game at each other's houses once a month. The sessions last over 12 hours at times. We've been going for over 4 years and last week one of the gang suggested a gaming weekend next year. He's spotted some log cabin near Port Merion in Wales. We've all 'signed up' to it and we go in Feb 2010. There can't be just us in the U.K thinking the same. Go for it. What a way for your brother's love of gaming to carry on. What would you do with his games otherwise ? Keep them ? Or more likely sell them.
Good luck in what you decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony ferri
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Phil,

Well, yes what would I do with them otherwise ? - I would not want to sell them so they would be just sitting on the shelf occasionally being played by myself and family.

At the end of the day, if it did not work out I could just rent it out as a normal holiday let - but as you say there may well be people like yourself and friends who might book it for the added value.

Thanks for your enthusiasm.

Regards

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds great, I'd love it, but my wife wouldn't. I think a lot of boardgamers are in a similar position.

Its a shame that the response is generally negative here, but I guess that is because people are giving you honest advice. Boardgaming just isn't that big in the UK. I'm not sure it would work as a paying business. It might be a goer in certain parts of the US or Germany - it would depend on whether you would want to buy somewhere that far away. Also the language barrier might be there for Germans (I know a lot of them can speak and read English really well, certainly more than the number of English people who can read German, but it cuts down the small numbers even more).

My initial response is that it does sound like a great long weekend option - gamers could probably get permission slips for that - and that it could be a chance for them to try out loads of new games. Whether that would make it viable is questionable though.

Maybe you could trial it by renting a cottage and putting the non-valuable games in and see if you can get people to fill a few slots?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be a place called the Wargames Holiday Centre in Scarborough, providing a service somewhat similar to what you are talking about, but with tabletop figures. I don't know whether it is still operating, but you should probably learn what you can about it before coming to a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your current idea is a good solution in some aspects but what you have to lose if it goes wrong might not be worth the risks you will take. If I lived closer I would stop over to play a couple of the games with you.

It seems like you are attempting to memorialize his collection and provide his collection to a group of people that could appreciate it as he did. Your motives are founded with nothing but what seems to be good intentions. In a way it would seem that your solution would allow a certain aspect of him to continue to live on.

Here are my thoughts.

It will take your time and money to set the whole thing up and what you risk is something that couldn't be replaced (his collection and the feeling you get from being around that collection) and a great deal of time and money.

I personally would love a holiday gaming with some other folks that are friends. If it could be for 3-4 days and on the rare occasion maybe a week that would be a true blast. Just this year I wanted to try and plan for a trip to Essen 2010. Wouldn't that be awesome. Sadly he won't be able to travel in the fall...ever, his work is running the votes which always occur in the mid fall. That being said... I have met some local gamers that make me want to put a fork into my ear soon after meeting them and I can't hardly be around them for more than 2 hours.

I think I could categorize my opponents or fellow hobbyists currently into 2 groups.

Firstly would be: folks that I know and the second group would be: strangers.

Gamers I know: Many here on the geek have very tight groups. Groups of maybe 5-8 people and they get together to game. These gamers many times are vastly different except for their games. You can have the unemployed and the wealthy...the sick and the healthy...all sorts of variants on the socioeconomic make-ups of individuals.

The trouble in my own group is this huge variant. I might be able to have a particular holiday but not most of the other guys and vice versa.

So with people I do know and can game with...there are too many socioeconomic barriers. My above example is my own personal cross to bear with potential gaming adventures.

The second category would be strangers

I would not put myself in a position for a "holiday" with strangers unless...

A) There was something else to do other than the original that would also be fun. *example..This games sucks I am heading to the pub....*

B) There would be a good agreement ahead of time on the games play or other activities to get into(ie I wouldn't care to watch the complete collection of Shirley Temple movies with any company no matter who they were....)

Think about the movie you could make from putting Wargamers with Eurogamers with Ameritrashers and 18xxers on a vacation to game... I think the result could be like standing at the threshold of hell.

C) There would be plenty of space to feel solitude or a sense of peace.

From my personal experience I think gamers have this set of needs/wants being met already and very competatively to your idea. Through Essen and through the BGGcons and other cons they can have gaming adventures or getaways.

Your idea seems to be more intimate and therefore would be much riskier.

I love your idea...I wish I could see it working...Maybe it could...here is my opinion warts and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, a semi-permanent kind of gaming space. That seems more workable. If it had a nice loft you could store games up there and keep it locked when non-gamers stay. I'd have a chance of an annual weekend away with friends but price would always be an issue. Also location since many of my gamer friends are now scattered around the country.

Personally I wouldn't worry overly about gamers stealing or damaging games, all the gamers I know have more respect than that. Accidents might happen though so you could ask for a deposit and give this back when they leave (obviously you'd have to be close then.) You could possibly limit the number of games that anyone would have access to (20 say!) That way you may get repeat business as people try to see more gems.

Great list by the way, he must have been a stalwart gamer! Respect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony ferri
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Darren,

Price wise I was planning to charge the same kind of price as your average holiday cottage - but hopefully the added home entertainments might mean that it gets rented out a bit more in the winter months.

As for location - well the other attraction would be all the Doctor Who stuff, and logic rather dictates South Wales, given that it seems to be the epicentre of all stuff Who now.

Being fairly central, it should be easy for most people to get too. It would be interesting to see how much the Doctor Who fans might be interested in the board games and vice versa!

Still compiling the list - the gaming is a bit of a family trait.

My Dad was quite fanatical - there would always be a fair old pile of games under the tree every Xmas and my brother (being single and having the space!) became the custodian of them all.

There is quite a mix - from family standards to the more complex strategy and tactic games. Nothing much after the eighties because by then my brother was into computer based strategy games.

I am just trying to get my head around the way enthusiasts now describe different types of board games!

Best Wishes

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.