Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincenzo Tringali
Germany
Offenbach am Main
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, do you think that it will be possible to try and buy the game at the Stuttgart Game Fair in November?

http://cms.messe-stuttgart.de/cms/spiele09_start.0.html

Do you maybe have a stand or a distributor there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to disappoint you, but asking this question obviously shows that you never were at the "Stuttgart Game Fair".
There are several fairs in one taking place at the same time, with a single hall dedicated to games (and part of this space is used by handicraft stuff or artists making animals from balloons).
I think apart from maybe Kosmos hardly any boardgame company at all will be there. There are a few shops selling board games, but hardly anything that came out at Essen the week before. They might have OK prizes, but considering what parking and entrance fee will cost you ...
If you are thinking about going there from Italy, I strongly urge you to avoid that disappointment.
When I was there last year (due to a free entrance ticket) I can honestly say that I had seen everything that was worth it from a boardgamer's perspective in ten minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beezle McBeezle
Germany
Waiblingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately that's true.
I was very disappointed when this fair moved to the new fair buildings at the airport in Stuttgart in 2007. Much less boardgaming and games related stuff as in years the fair was at the Killesberg.
In 2008 even less boardgaming was there... I'm not sure I'll go to that fair this year.

I'll be in Essen for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I live in Stuttgart I was there the last two years and will be there. But there are only two main kinds of "booths":
1. Online retailers and shops.
2. Open places with a lot of tables and many games to try and play.
The publishing comopanies are only the biggest German ones, plus some German special companies like Gerhards or Chili Spiele, to whom the cost and effort are not too much compared to their sellings.
No smaller non-German publisher at all. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Tringali
Germany
Offenbach am Main
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and thanks for the replies.
I've actually lived in Stuttgart for a few years and I visited the Spielemesse every year until 2007 (the first year in the new buildings).
Everytime I found many publishers (not all the publishers, but not only Kosmos), many distributors and some very furnished game shops.
Furthermore, as Daniel said, there are places where you can try all new Essen games.
Each year I tryed and buyed the most important games that was published in Essen.
I know, nothing is like Essen. But Stuttgart is not as bad or as little as you described Thomas. And is half the way far from Italy
I'm quite sure I will find all the games in my list.
Hope to meet you there this year and try Stronghold together
Schöne Grüße aus Italien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becienz wrote:
I know, nothing is like Essen. But Stuttgart is not as bad or as little as you described Thomas. And is half the way far from Italy
I'm quite sure I will find all the games in my list.
Hope to meet you there this year and try Stronghold together
Schöne Grüße aus Italien

Maybe I'm a bit too harsh in my description, but living near Stuttgart and having a game fair in the vicinity that I personally find so disappointing is hard to bear cry

Still I would say that most people who are interested enough in board games to have an account on BGG and are interested in non-mainstream titles like Stronghold will not be happy there. Yes, you can try a lot of new games, because the nice people from Boeblingen's FsF (gaming club, roughly translated) might have them, but you will only be able to buy the mainstream stuff.

And maybe I'm spoiled from my FLGS probably having a larger selection of new Essen games at that time than the fair will.

I've sworn myself never to go to the Stuttgart Game Fair again, but if you are in the Stuttgart area for longer than the weekend, we could meet at my FLGS in Boeblingen for a game of Stronghold, as I will be buying it in Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Swiss Toy and Game fair which is just before Essen. In general, you're not going to see anything hugely new and differnet there, but there were (small, 10% ish) discounts available on games.

It's also possible to try out some more widely available games and see if they're really for you. Last time I went I had the opportunity to discover that Carc New World and Keltis were both games I had little or no interest in playing again.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Tringali
Germany
Offenbach am Main
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas, I'm still planning the journey to Germany this Autumm.
I'd really like to go to Essen, but from Bologna (centre-nord Italy) it needs 12 hours by car ("only" 7 hours to Stuttgart).
Flying with RyanAir would oblige me not to buy everything I'd like to :)
Maybe next year I’ll have more time for a week in Germany driving to Essen!!

I’ll be in Stuttgart for a long weekend and I’ll pass most of the time in the Fair buildings ;)
If we don’t meet there, I’ll make in this thread a little report on my search for a Stuttgarter copy of Stronghold :p
Please subscribe this thread, I’ll be back in a few weeks.

Bruce, thanks for the advice. I’ll find some infos on the Swiss Fair. It’s not far from my city at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.