Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola is probably my favorite game.

However, the base game has so much stuff in it, that fun and replayability (I play with E,I and K decks combined) are ensured for a long time to come. I am perfectly happy with it.

Now, as I understand it, Farmers of the Moor uses the Family game board, brings more options (special action cards) but at the same time forces you to do more (forests, peats,heating), alters the decks (more Major Improvements, new Minor ones but no Occupations) and adds a new path to victory (horses).

My point is that it alters the game so much that it doesn't feel like an expansion to the base game. It feels like an alternate version of Agricola.

So, my question: Do I need a new version if I am happy with the old one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Albani
Germany
Achern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i just read, that in the playtesting phase, hardcore agricola fans played a variant with ALL the Stuff! The normal Agricola (not family) with the additional rules for Farmers o t. Moor. And this worked so well, that this option became an official variant to play the game, too. although it is only recommended for very advanced players...

so i think, this addon might be a good choice for you, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am of the mind that none of us "need" anything when it comes to boardgames.

Am I buying it? Yup. Agricola is a top 10 game for me, so I get the stuff. It will give me more options when I sit down to play, and I like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:

Words of wisdom. Do you mind explaining why you own 479 boardgames you don't need?

HuckmanT wrote:
Am I buying it? Yup.

Do I care? Nope.

Johannes before you wrote something helpful and I thank him for that.
You could learn from his example, instead of talking about yourself and seeking to patronize others.

(This was a personal attack. My apologies to everyone who read it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Every expansion changes the game. Any expansion that doesn't change the basegame is a bad expansion I don't need. I don't need just "some more cards", "some more meeples" or something like that. I want an entire new experience!

Therefore the answer is simple: Do you need this? YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
wow

Actually I thought HuckmanT's reply was quite helpful. "Adds more options, so therefore buy it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you don't need it

All I can say is that Agricola is not my favourite game, but it is up in my top ten or so. I have played Agricola: Farmers of the Moor and as soon as we can get our hands on an English version we will be getting it.

I would say that it does not fundamentally change the base Agricola to the extent that it does not make it a fundamentally new game (which is something I personally do not like expansions to do) but it does add enough new and different things that are interesting to add to the game overall without changing it to a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need it. More options and details means it feels more like a farm. And when Uwe gets through with an iron expansion, I'll need that too. And OP has a good point. "Ducks" would be a great thing to have in an expansion!
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CJoe wrote:
And this worked so well, that this option became an official variant to play the game, too. although it is only recommended for very advanced players...

I don't understand why it's a variant at all. Of course advanced players would be interested in the expansion! And why would anyone want to go back to (or learn for the first time, as I and I'm sure many others skipped it) the family game? I'm sure I'll pick this up, but the integration of these new elements seems weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
wow

Actually I thought HuckmanT's reply was quite helpful. "Adds more options, so therefore buy it".

Thanks - I certainly was trying to be helpful. Not sure where the vitriol came from.

I own 479 games that I don't "need" because I "want" them and I was able to "afford" them and "store" them. I "love" them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
Thanks - I certainly was trying to be helpful. Not sure where the vitriol came from.

I own 479 games that I don't "need" because I "want" them and I was able to "afford" them and "store" them. I "love" them!

Stop patronizing us!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
And when Uwe gets through with an iron expansion, I'll need that too.

I'm going to pass on the catapult, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:

I'm going to pass on the catapult, though.

Hahaha. That makes me laugh. I've played Carcassonne: The Catapult exactly twice...and neither time I ever once played "catch". Stupid expansion. Farms of the Moor, though, absolutely necessary! I don't like Gric all that much but I think Farmers may make it a lot better. It at least seems like it will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
HuckmanT wrote:

Words of wisdom. Do you mind explaining why you own 479 boardgames you don't need?

HuckmanT wrote:
Am I buying it? Yup.

Do I care? Nope.

You could learn from his example, instead of talking about yourself and seeking to patronize others.

Where the hell did THAT come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
Where the hell did THAT come from?

I'm gonna chock it up to the nature of language. It's tough to tell the exact timbre of someone's tone when you're just reading plain statements. Sure, assuming HuckmanT's comment was an attack, instead of light-hearted honesty, was a little premature -- but it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacto Northern Cal
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
HuckmanT wrote:

HuckmanT wrote:
Am I buying it? Yup.

Do I care? Nope.

DRAMA!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but there are no ducks, only horses. You might, therefore, want to give this one a miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.