Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
July 12, 1944

During the night I received various reports from each platoon. Second platoon was at two-thirds strength by shear luck. Their third squad had never made it to the rally point and this had luckily kept it off the hill that claimed so many soldiers earlier that day. Third platoon had beaten back the counter attack in the center, but now received reports that a reinforced German bunker was on the hill overlooking the woods it was responsible for clearing. The platoon would now have to clear the woods possibly under murderous German fire from the new bunker. First platoon had outflanked the German bunker on the right flank, but during the night, had to pull back from the main objective, the cottage house that had been previously cleared. There were now reports that the Germans had taken up positions inside the cottage.

As morning began, my confidence of successfully completing the company’s mission plan was at a new low.
The 1st Sgt informed me that the company had access to the 15th Field Artillery and some 105s from the Rgt Cannon company. Able Company would be given first priority and could pound away at the Germans practically all morning with artillery. I agreed with the sergeant and had the platoon headquarters hold their soldiers in their current positions while we softened up the German positions. For the next hour or so, artillery barrages hit the Kraut positions. By early afternoon the barrages let up and we assessed the situation. The Germans began firing pot shots at our positions, but it was an obvious difference in the enemy fire compared to what we faced the previous day. The artillery barrages had definitely thinned out the German lines.

While the barrages had been taking place, Lt Meadows had had his squads from first platoon firing into the sides and back of the bunker on our right flank. After ordering a ceasefire, he moved up to the perimeter tree line to assess the situation and was wounded by small arms fire. Several of the German soldiers had crawled out of the bunker and was attempting to infiltrate the surrounding woods. The XO, First Lieutenant Davis, took over the platoon and ordered a counter attack on the small band of Germans who were attacking their position.

Unfortunately, the small enemy attack force was quite experienced and found some empty foxholes to hid in. The XO’s counter attacked failed and a couple of first platoon’s squads fell back to the starting positions we had advanced from yesterday. I realized that if left to their own devices, first platoon might continue to fall back to the English Channel. I ran behind the lines and confronted one of the retreating squads. “Sgt Little! You are now in charge of 1st platoon! Get these men back up into the woods and kill some Krauts!” I couldn’t tell if the startled sergeant was more surprised by his instant promotion, or the order to get back into the fight, but after a brief hesitation he ordered his squad back up the line. “You heard the CO! Let’s move! Now!“ The squad turned and ran head long back into the woods.

It was late afternoon when the 1st Sgt reported to me that the continued artillery barrages had done the trick. The Germans were falling back and even though we still had a couple more casualties to tend with, Lt Slewder was advancing 3rd platoon into the village house and surrounding woods. His reports were all good. The Germans had not been able to hold against the pinpoint high explosive rounds and had left the bunkers and the cottage house. He had also found a few prisoners who had been wounded by the artillery fire, but hopefully would still be able to give Battalion some helpful information.

By evening, the German assault squad from the bunker was all that was left and it seemed they were determined to fight to the end. They had managed to put second squad from 1st platoon out of action with a grenade attack and continued firing at every opportunity. I ordered the new platoon leader to clear his remaining soldiers out of the woods. It was now time to literally, call in the big guns. As the last soldiers from first platoon scampered out of the woods, the first sergeant had 105mm shells screaming in the air. After a few minutes, the barrage stopped and moans of injured Germans could be heard from the area. Third squad moved in and secured the area.

We waited the rest of the evening for any signs of a German counter attack, but fortunately nothing happened. Able company had now accomplished all its objectives, but at the highest cost yet. We had taken an incredible number of casualties over the past two days, and for the first time ever, I would be eagerly awaiting replacements from the repple depple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report! I haven't made it to this mission yet, but now I know what I have to look forward to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.