Popular Tags: [View All]
Sutanto Joji
Indonesia
Jakarta
Jakarta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Help needed surprise

I was trying to play this fabulous game with my g/f. This was my first time attempting to play and explaining. Mind you, I'd read the rule before hand yet I'd not played any game before.

Long story short, my g/f was overwhelmed by the end of turn 1. She said that there's just too many option, too many unknown event (everytime someone play a card, i have to read the event out loud and read her too. This bug her too), too many states to look at (We're not american, so we don't know where the states are), too many to look at (media, endorsement, support, rest cubes, campaign strategy, debates, events). There's simply overwhelms her.

So, does someone have any suggestion to make the game is easier to explain and the example turn grant a smoother gameplay? Should i remove the longlasting event? Should i remove the debate and election day event? Should i cut the cards so the event is mitigated?

Does anyone ever have this problem? She said that she would prefer die macher any time any day. Mind you, she loves Through the ages, agricola, die macher, railroad tycoon, puerto rico, and brass).

Final question. Should i ASKED her to PLAY AGAIN? whistledevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife had the same problem at first, and now she loves the game.

I'd say don't worry too much about strategy at first, or even about winning and losing. Don't get bogged down in trying to make the perfect decision - it's only a game after all. Just follow the rules and keep moving.

Once you get through a couple of sessions, she should start to see how the game works, what's a good move and what's a bad move. And yes, of course you should ask her to play again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I tried it with my wife. Now I did have a lot of questions afterwards (see my thread that I posted earlier today).

However, I took someone's suggestion on the geek and for the first turn we ignored Media and Issues. So in turn 1 we used our 5 cards to either play the event or to play CP for State Support. In turn 2, I introduced the idea of Media and Issues.

Debates we sort of did it when we got there. I just told her to save cards that were Blue (she was JFK) and that supported a variety of issues. She ended up winning 2 of the 3 debates.

Hope this is helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this multiple times with my wife and actually, no matter who I'm playing against, I pretty much expect that the first game is about learning it. So I do explain the rules, but once we start playing I just encourage "to go with the flow". Not stress too much about making the right move and so forth.

Especially with this game, which is actually pretty simple once you get down to it, the gameplay settles down to an even flow by the end of turn 2.

Also, I don't necessarily talk about all the rules of the game, for example, as the turns go forward, I start reminding the opponent what the Debate is about and how you should prepare for it.

Thorough rules explanations are great in theory, but I think they somewhat impede on the first game experience. I think I'm generally a pretty good at explaining rules and trying not to overwhelm people, but there's only so much newbie players can soak in at once. At least that's the case for me - I probably forget some of the rules explained to me at the first time, but then I'll just try to play brief and ask the table "can I do this, can I do that?".

So: Just play the game, don't worry about doing the right moves. When it's her turn, do some quick checks from the rulebook if you have something in mind. By the time you've done couple of rounds, you'll realize that it's pretty easy after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.