Subject: Which Dominion set should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Meduna

Spokane
WA
msg tools
mbmb
I do not own any of the Dominion games, but am very interested in buying a set. I was about to buy the original Dominion yesterday, when I stumbled upon intrigue. Should I buy Intrigue instead? Does it offer more, or have a better rule set than the original? Does it have the same cards as Dominion, save a few new cards that are included in this set? Or should I now look at the new Sea Dominion? Also are the sets interchangeable whereas I can mix and match the various sets?

Thanks for the Help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can mix the 2 sets (they are completely different) and that is even the best way to play the game, in my opinion.

If you must buy just one, and you never played before, go with the original set.

Intrigue is very good, but has a few more tricky cards, although there's more interaction between players (which is a plus, I believe).

Definitely buy both if you can.

As for Seaside, you must own at least one of the 2 complete sets (original or Intrigue), since it is really an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are the same in all sets, just the action cards vary. All cards can be mixed and matched with all other cards, IE, use 10 cards from one set, five each from two sets, one card from ten different sets (in a few years when all the expansions have been released).

Dominion is generally a little simpler, Intrigue has slightly more complicated cards with more options and a bit more interaction between players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked the same questions not long ago (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/434833/new).

Based on comments I received, I bought Dominion...played a few times...decided I really liked it and ordered Intrigue. Haven't played Intrigue yet, but can understand why majority suggested I start with Dominion. To be honest, the replayability of Dominion is so good, I haven't played with Intrigue yet. Still working through playing different combinations of cards in Dominion.

My opinion is to start with Dominion and see if you like the game. If other's comments having you considering it, I bet you'll like it. It lives up to its hype!

Later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Mo
msg tools
Yup, start with the base Dominion set, then buy Intrigue if you really like it.

Intrigue might turn you off since there are many complicated cards with multiple functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Meduna

Spokane
WA
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really don't mind more complex cards, and situations that may arise from such circumstances. I use to play M:TG back in the day, and currently play Argicola (play using the complex deck), Munchkins, etc. so I am use to arguing about rule discrepancies.

Also are both game 2-4 players with the six player variant included if you own both sets, or can you play Intrigue six players out of the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anudem wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really don't mind more complex cards, and situations that may arise from such circumstances. I use to play M:TG back in the day, and currently play Argicola (play using the complex deck), Munchkins, etc. so I am use to arguing about rule discrepancies.

Also are both game 2-4 players with the six player variant included if you own both sets, or can you play Intrigue six players out of the box?

To play with six players, you need more Provinces, Estates, Curses, and Treasure. Therefore, you must have two copies to play. The two copies don't have to be different if you don't mind selecting from only 25 Kingdom cards. You can only play with two copies of the base game if you already know the 6-player rules, since they aren't included in that box. Future expansions won't include basic Treasure, Victory, or Curse cards, so you won't be able to use those to support six players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gische
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Future expansions won't include basic Treasure, Victory, or Curse cards, so you won't be able to use those to support six players.

While it is correct that Seaside is a true expansion (i.e. you need one of the full sets to play with it), I wouldn't extrapolate that decision to the rest of the Dominion releases. To the best of my knowledge, no statement has been made to that effect. For all we know the remainder of the Dominion sets will all come as standalone expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick Dominion if you want it to be:
-easy to learn
-straightforward play
-lower interaction

Pick Intrigue if you want:
-more depth
-more choices
-more interaction

And as stated, you (or someone you know) need another copy to play 6-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gische wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
Future expansions won't include basic Treasure, Victory, or Curse cards, so you won't be able to use those to support six players.

While it is correct that Seaside is a true expansion (i.e. you need one of the full sets to play with it), I wouldn't extrapolate that decision to the rest of the Dominion releases. To the best of my knowledge, no statement has been made to that effect. For all we know the remainder of the Dominion sets will all come as standalone expansions.

Since the primary reason Intrigue has basic cards is to support the 6-player rules, I think it's a good bet that future expansions will not include basic cards. But you are correct that we won't know for sure until they are released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas De Herdt
Belgium
Brussels (Uccle)
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like about dominion is the power-engine crafting. What I also like about Dominion is that it doesn't have to be each game like that and sometimes you have more attrition style games (with slow action cards to choose from and weak combos).

I don't understand how you guys can even imagine proposing dominion intrigue as an more intellectual alternative to dominion.

Intrigue lacks cheap power cards for speed engine craft, has much more chaotic and slower cards. So in my opinion Intrigue is a very bad way to start dominion and is only fun for people allready very well aware of Dominion mechanics.

Whatever you do if you want to buy Dominion, only buy the original one, chances are you'll buy intrigue anyway. But if you buy only Intrigue chances are you'll miss on the simplicity, fun and speed of the original one, which is omposed of the basic cards needed for fun game.

It would be like playing magic without any lands, sure people very well aware of Magic mechanics could have fun battling each other with such niche-decks, but that is not the essence of the game.

So IMHO intrigue is nice, but only as an extension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Meduna

Spokane
WA
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting Dominion, and will hopefully get to play it this Friday with some friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.