Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've lent Memoir 44 from my boardgame club and played through the first 4 campaigns with a friend of mine. We both enjoy it very much and plan on playing all campaigns in the book. However, I can't keep lending it from the club continuously, as others want to try it as well. I've been thinking about buying it, but I've been reading reviews on Battlelore as well. The added depth, fantasy theme and magic system it offers appeal to me. I am a bit worried though about the fact that the game is more centred around melee and movement in groups. I'm afraid it might degenerate in a puzzle game when trying to efficiently move troops around in a probably cramped space. Combat in Memoir 44 is almost always ranged, which allows for more flexibility in movement ( I think ). Ofcourse, I haven't actually played BL yet, so I may be completely wrong. Oh, from what I've read on the net, I'm especially interested in the upcoming Heroes expansion for BL. My friend and I are both RPG computer games fans, and the idea of building up heroes through several games appeals greatly to us both.

Anyway, I only have money for one game, and I have a hard time choosing. Are my impressions of BL right? Is there maybe any longterm use in buying them both? Which would be the better choice here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan parker
Wales
montgomery
powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would say battlelore, havent played memoir 44 yet but haveing read reviews and session reports i think battlelore has alot more depth. i do own battlelore and play it often, i dont think there there is a movement problem at all i really enjoy the fact you have to keep your troops together to make them BOLD, and love taking out an oppenents formation which means they are not BOLD and loose there battle back!

you need to play it to know but trust me if you like the theme and memoir youll like battlelore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore is definitely melee-focused. But it's still like M44 plus, so if you were only going to get one, I'd go for Battlelore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own them both, and still play them. They have their similarities and their differences. M44 is more of a higher level scale with larger squads-size per board unit, whereas BL is more of a unit level game with more cohesion required and more variety in the unit types. They do have different tactics, M44 does indeed have more unit independence and the unit cohesion in BL is important but flexible enough to avoid it becoming a jigsaw, as you were afraid of. I would highly recommend them both, and it depends as much on the preferred genre as the complexity when deciding between them. M44 _is_ more simple, but that isn't a bad thing, BL is more complex and in-depth, but that is also not a bad thing. M44 is probably the slightly cheaper option to get going on, if cash is an issue. If you get the opportunity I would give BL a go with someone who knows the rules so you can compare the 2. Both go through a nice progression into the complexities of the rules, as you will have already found out with M44, but BL does have more depth with the magic and council abilities so the learning curve is a little higher with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mackenzie
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir for me every time...but that is based on its WW2 theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is easier to learn and has a lower cost.

BattleLore has a bit more variety and is easier to play with more than 2 players (just have to buy the Epic set to get an extra board rather than a second copy like M44).

Over all I prefer BL, as I am more into medieval/fantasy than WWII.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is much better supported and with a lot better expansions that BattleLore. Cheaper, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and I prefer Memoir '44 because of the WWII theme and the emphasis on range combat. I also like Memoir '44 because I think the currently available expansions add a lot.

HOWEVER

You mentioned how you like RPGs and the Heroes expansion adds a strong RPG element. I played this expansion at Gen Con and I liked it, but to make it worth while requires repeated plays in a short time. With a little creativity a cool battlelore campaign could be created with persistent heroes, so if that sounds appealing to you then Battlelore may be the one for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Long
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this does not answer your question. I have BattleLore, and did consider Battlelore and Memoir '44 when I made the purchase. I wish I have gotten Commands & Colors: Ancients instead as the whole system of mechanics makes a little more sense there.

In any case, if you are anti-DoW or anti-Fantasy Flight, well you can always choose that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips so far, everyone. My favor is tilting towards BL. The cost isn't that big a deal, buying both is Someone mentioned the heroes expansion requires a number of plays in a short period of time. Could you explain that a bit more in detail? We tend to play two to three games once every week or two.I'm assuming the amount of time between sessions doesn't have any meaningful impact?

EulerPi wrote:
I wish I have gotten Commands & Colors: Ancients instead as the whole system of mechanics makes a little more sense there.

Could you elaborate? Having played only a couple games, I find the M44 system very intuitive, so I don't see the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
battlelore, hands down. I own both plus many expansions. If I play WWII I go with tide of iron. Battlelore is fun and has variety. The mechanics fit the theme of the game better than WWII, in my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperoo wrote:
Thanks for the tips so far, everyone. My favor is tilting towards BL. The cost isn't that big a deal, buying both is Someone mentioned the heroes expansion requires a number of plays in a short period of time. Could you explain that a bit more in detail? .

Sure! Along with adding heroes to the game one of the big selling points for the expansion is that it is possible to create a custom hero and level them up. Each time they level up they get a new ability of the players choosing.

to really experience this the right way requires playing it regularly. For example, between Memoir '44, Battlelore, and other games I only get around to playing battlelore every two to three months. At this rate it would take over a year to level up a character and that slow of a pace would destroy a lot of the fun that is part of leveling up. With as often as you say you will play, it sounds like this will be a good expansion for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
Dublin 14
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Memoir, Battlelore and C&C Ancients. Everytime this question of one vs another comes up, the setting of each game is a big part of recommendations. On that basis Battlelore is the one for you. Personally I'd choosed the more somewhat more complex Battlelore over Memoir. Depth and variety are important. Any one of these will ultimately lead to the purchase of expansions. They are that sort of game. One thing I would say is that visually Memoir is better out of the box, as the grey base figs from Battlelore are drab and may detract from the appeal of the game, I'm certainly going to be painting my son's new copy when I get the chance. If painting doesn't appeal to you it you should take this into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the scoop, Dave: go with theme and don't worry about complexity.

Why? There are so many expansions and campaigns and scenarios for both M44 and BattleLore that you'll be playing for years. Even after you dig through the (literally) hundreds of official scenarios and expansions and so on for M44 and/or BattleLore, there are still tons of homebrew scenarios, campaigns, and so forth. They've both got TONS of meat on the bone for playability.

So, if you're going to buy one, buy the one with the theme you like the best. Either way, you can't go wrong - they both have great production values and stupendous replay value.

I own Memoir '44. I love it. I can't wait to play more. And I don't even own a single expansion yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold M44 (with expansions due to lack of shelf space. Battlelore have the same basic system - but a lot more added. No doubt it have much staying power.

With Battlelore and Battlecry (and may add Star Wars Queens Gambit) to scratch my C&C itch

and Tide of Iron (among others) to scratch my WWII itch - There was not a hard descision to let M44 go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seems all the world is now being torn between those three.

bruno faidutti likes battlelore better:

http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=473

me, i like cc or battlelore, each for itself. perhaps this thread is interesting to you:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/449103

well it is about other things too. and there was a similar discussion somewhere.... maybe someone got it.

here is what i said there:
Quote:

Commands & Colors: Ancients has as topic ancient battles of rome, greece, macedonia etc. every scenario uses a historic battel, mostly with the better inital stance of armies on one side (who won the REAL battle mostly). so you have to play most scenarios twice with changing sides.
units are represented by wooden block with different stickers on it. as units get hit, the blocks become fewer. there are mechanics for leaders, close combat, chariots, cavalry and such. and there are expansions (six and still going...) covering the ancient world.

BattleLore is set in medieval times, imagining all the stuff said then was true: saracenes are goblins, there are orks, scottish drarves and so on. dragons are coming.

the blocks from above are here minis, the order cards are of slightly better stock. the counters too are euroquality. classic design from above is now fantasy art.
there is magic, complete with summoning creatures and aggressive and defensive spells. here also, there are expansions afoot, moreso as battlelore has changed its publisher to fantasy flight, which are notorious for their love of expansions.
the newest one is about heroes which can gain experience per battle. and die with it.
also only in battlelore there is a hq, in which you can put your personal favourites into position: a good leader, or a strong magician? or a rogue?
there is a fine review (one of many i am sure) on Bruno Faiduttis webpage:
http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=ludotheque&id=473

though the similarities are quite extensive: each has a strong thematic feel (which i find especially surprising with cc:a, since it is not that expensive produced).
the other two entries in this game system are not to my liking:

Battle Cry i never played. and Memoir '44 is not my cup of tea: i play Combat Commander: Europe in ww2 and i find the order system of flanks and middle and superior battle commander a little ahistorical for ww2. but as one can easily read on bgg, many think otherwise.
i personally know a grognard who has all four. and right now he plays memoir like a madman. LIKE A MADMAN I SAY!

enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.