Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

D-Day at Omaha Beach» Forums » General

Subject: Suitability for a beginner. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a gift for a brother of mine and would like some opinions on the suitabilty of this game for someone who has never played a game of this type. Understanding the military tactics side of things shouldn't be a problem for him as he has been in combat as a member of the 82nd Airborne Division.

My concern would be how difficult do you all think this game would be for a new player to pick up? He's a smart guy, so that won't be an issue either. I want to send him something that has the potential to help him relax after a tough week at work, not stress him out without being any fun.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a bit tough to me. I'd start with something like Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges, in which his unit fought. At one time was a freebie, but shouldn't be too difficult to scare up a copy?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
timmy65 wrote:
I want to send him something that has the potential to help him relax after a tough week at work, not stress him out without being any fun.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.


I'd think a 2 player game of Memoir 44 would be a better if has has anybody to play. I look at most wargames as mental exercises not for relaxation.

Has he ever played a hex and counter wargame?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Quintas
Spain
DAGANZO DE ARRIBA
MADRID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have played several times wargames for 2, but never solo games. What I mean is that I am not very comfortable/accustomed with the symbol chits. I bought this a couple of months ago and played twice. The rules are great and easy to understand. The play goes smooth. I did not have any problem (although there are several rules I forgot during the first play, but it should not represent any problem with the game; they are just minor rules that won't affect the flow of the game).

I entirely recommend this game for beginners with a bit of patience and motivated to play a great game. Once you played, what it offers is really high in comparison to other games. You really get the feeling of it.

Hope it helps.

Good luck!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe that he has ever played a hex and counter wargame before. His children are grown as well, so I believe that pretty much leaves solo play as his only real option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calvo wrote:

I entirely recommend this game for beginners with a bit of patience and motivated to play a great game. Once you played, what it offers is really high in comparison to other games. You really get the feeling of it.

Hope it helps.

Good luck!


You have helped!
Gracias!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
timmy65 wrote:
I'm looking for a gift for a brother of mine...

Bet you already know it can be played with two players too!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
timmy65 wrote:
I don't believe that he has ever played a hex and counter wargame before. His children are grown as well, so I believe that pretty much leaves solo play as his only real option.


Are you sure about that? It’s when the children get older that you actually have time to yourself – well some time anyway. Between 0 and 12 forget it.

I’d be real hesitant to expect anybody who hasn’t played a hex & counter game to play one sight unseen. Wargaming is a very niche hobby.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked out Steadmans video review of the game.
It'll give you a very good idea of what to expect.
It sure made me decide I want this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I have,thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
timmy65 wrote:
I'm looking for a gift for a brother of mine and would like some opinions on the suitabilty of this game for someone who has never played a game of this type. Understanding the military tactics side of things shouldn't be a problem for him as he has been in combat as a member of the 82nd Airborne Division.

My concern would be how difficult do you all think this game would be for a new player to pick up? He's a smart guy, so that won't be an issue either. I want to send him something that has the potential to help him relax after a tough week at work, not stress him out without being any fun.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.


I would expect someone who's never played such a game to have quite a bit of trouble with this, especially as a solo player without anyone to help him understand it. Also, it is a very hard game to win, which might frustrate a first time wargamer? That being said, the game is terrific.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
timmy65 wrote:
I'm looking for a gift for a brother of mine and would like some opinions on the suitabilty of this game for someone who has never played a game of this type. Understanding the military tactics side of things shouldn't be a problem for him as he has been in combat as a member of the 82nd Airborne Division.

My concern would be how difficult do you all think this game would be for a new player to pick up? He's a smart guy, so that won't be an issue either. I want to send him something that has the potential to help him relax after a tough week at work, not stress him out without being any fun.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.


I would expect someone who's never played such a game to have quite a bit of trouble with this, especially as a solo player without anyone to help him understand it. Also, it is a very hard game to win, which might frustrate a first time wargamer? That being said, the game is terrific.


I've been reading the rules to try and get a feel for what he would be up against and I believe that you may be right about the difficulty for a first time player. I think that I'm going to go with something a bit less difficult for him and pick up a copy of D-Day for myself. I figure that if I can learn it, I'll be able to at the very least see if he's interested in trying the game co-op with me.

Thank you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
timmy65 wrote:
fatgreta wrote:
timmy65 wrote:
I'm looking for a gift for a brother of mine and would like some opinions on the suitabilty of this game for someone who has never played a game of this type. Understanding the military tactics side of things shouldn't be a problem for him as he has been in combat as a member of the 82nd Airborne Division.

My concern would be how difficult do you all think this game would be for a new player to pick up? He's a smart guy, so that won't be an issue either. I want to send him something that has the potential to help him relax after a tough week at work, not stress him out without being any fun.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.


I would expect someone who's never played such a game to have quite a bit of trouble with this, especially as a solo player without anyone to help him understand it. Also, it is a very hard game to win, which might frustrate a first time wargamer? That being said, the game is terrific.


I've been reading the rules to try and get a feel for what he would be up against and I believe that you may be right about the difficulty for a first time player. I think that I'm going to go with something a bit less difficult for him and pick up a copy of D-Day for myself. I figure that if I can learn it, I'll be able to at the very least see if he's interested in trying the game co-op with me.

Thank you!


You are welcome. I'm not a very experienced wargamer, but I've played some and picked it up without too much trouble. I think you'll like the game. And if you can play it with him to teach it, he likely will also. Good luck,

Chris
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.