Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am hoping that as Seaside is released and then maybe one more after that, then the strategy talk about card combos will die down considerably. My favorite thing about this game is having to develop strategy on the fly during the game.

As it becomes less likely that any two decks with be drawn out for the same game, it becomes less important to play "what if" games in your head about two cards working together. I will look forward to that. I don't mind these discussions in CCGs when you can build a deck and increase the chances of those cards coming into your hand together. But these discussions for Dominion seem to be no better than talking card combos for Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep us posted on your preferences. We had been wondering about that.

How do you feel about tomatoes? The world wants to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

And why is my opinion about anything less important than yours? I've noticed your posts floating mostly aimlessly across many Dominion threads. Why are those words of wisdom worth anything special?

By the way, not to keep the world waiting, I like tomatoes thinly sliced and lightly salted.surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

I really like tomatoes. But, I hate it when they are even a bit green. One thing that annoys me is when canned tomatoes have green bits. Also, when they have the skin still on. I don't know why, because I like the skin on raw tomatoes, but I cannot handle it when they are cooked.

Is it only me who eats tomatoes like they're a fruit? I love to bite in and then suck the seeds out. Obviously not if it's a cherry tomato - though I like those too, I just pop them in, sometimes a few at a time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I like tomatoes thinly sliced and lightly salted. surprise

Salted?! How can you do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
And why is my opinion about anything less important than yours?

It seems odd, to me, to post in the Strategy forum to request that other people not discuss strategy. But maybe it's just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
No Sunday without flame wars. YES! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That wasn't my point. I like strategy discussions. But with this game I don't like card combo discussions. They are too unlikely to happen if you're following the rules and only seem likely if you're picking you're decks tio play with.

I'm getting impatient waiting for some news on Seaside, so just thought I'd write something about one reason why I'm so much looking forward to the release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Colburn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enough with the thread drift! Back to the tomatoes.

My grandmother salts her tomatoes, but I suspect that's just because she hasn't really enjoyed the taste of a fully flavoured tomato.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
rickert wrote:
I'm getting impatient waiting for some news on Seaside, so just thought I'd write something about one reason why I'm so much looking forward to the release.

Jay Tummelson at Rio Grande Games has embargoed the release of any info on Seaside until the Thursday that Spiel opens, Oct. 22.

Eric
Editor, BoardgameNews.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet he told me some info about it when I interviewed him at GenCon for a story I was writing. How odd.shake I'm also fairly sure there's been a few other stories with Seaside info as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
rickert wrote:

Jay Tummelson at Rio Grande Games has embargoed the release of any info on Seaside until the Thursday that Spiel opens, Oct. 22.

Eric
Editor, BoardgameNews.com

Yes; Spoilers would hurt sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
locusshifter wrote:

Jay has done this in the past, most recently with Strozzi, which debuted at Spiel 08. He gave out nothing prior to the show, saying that he wanted it to remain a surprise. He's taking the same approach with Priests of Ra, too. Of course as the owner of RGG, he's free to break his own rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I believe Jay cares a great deal about Essen and he really wants the people going there to be among the very first to learn about Seaside. I understand that and won't be critical of that. But I will continue to be impatient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well all know the week it's coming. How will knowing the day matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Dominion Seaside >> General

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaraway wrote:
So I will wait for the morons who will buy this game "just because" to tell us all about it before I put the cash on the table. I suggest you all do the same.

Wait. If everyone takes your advice then nobody will buy the game, then you'll never hear anything about it, then you'll have to be a moron and buy the game yourself so those who took your advice would know whether or not they should buy it. Did you think this plan through?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Wait. If everyone takes your advice then nobody will buy the game, then you'll never hear anything about it, then you'll have to be a moron and buy the game yourself so those who took your advice would know whether or not they should buy it. Did you think this plan through?

Only a moron would think his plans through in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
jcaraway wrote:
So I will wait for the morons who will buy this game "just because" to tell us all about it before I put the cash on the table. I suggest you all do the same.

Who's the more moronic: The moron, or the moron who follows him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Jay has done this in the past, most recently with Strozzi, which debuted at Spiel 08. He gave out nothing prior to the show, saying that he wanted it to remain a surprise. He's taking the same approach with Priests of Ra, too. Of course as the owner of RGG, he's free to break his own rules...

I wondered why no one cared about Strozzi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apparently anyone who enjoys a game enough or is a big enough fan of a game designer to purchase the newest release without tons of opinions or info is a moron. Fan = moron?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Barksdale
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread doesn't really seem to be about replying to the OP but I'll try nonetheless.

In a one-set-game of 25 possible cards, any two given cards will show up 15% of the time. With 50 cards it's down to 3.67% and 76 puts it down to 1.57%. So if you buy every set and play them all together, the odds of you getting Cellar/Library or Scout/Nobles or whatever do go down significantly, although of course there may be equivalent cards in whatever you're playing with.

Having said that, I don't really understand your aversion to discussing the combos. A two-card combo is about the most common thing that's interesting to talk about; if both cards are in the same set, you will probably see it a few times, depending on how much you play and how you choose the kingdom cards. It also usually plays somewhat differently each time, due to the presence or absence of certain cards, and depending on what other players like to play. In the Village/Smithy example, cards like Gardens, Chapel, Throne Room, Witch, Duke, Saboteur, Ironworks, Nobles, Bridge, and Tribute will all play a role in how or whether I will play a Village/Smithy strategy.

It is kind of neat to discover how cards interact for yourself, but that's not an experience that ever goes away. The other week I built an action-heavy Library deck with Village, Remodel, and Cellar, which was not something I had ever seen in all my games of the base set.

My expectation is that people will continue to talk about two-card combos, especially if both of them are in Seaside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea that there will be less reason to talk about combos when Seaside is out is probably not well-founded. There are often a variety of cards that do similar things, and so even if the probability of seeing two particular cards in a game is low, the odds of seeing "A along with any of X or Y or Z" will remain substantial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can find some use for discussion about how one card interacts with a variety of cards, but not one particular card. I never choose what cards I play with except for perhaps a first time teaching experience with another gamer.

For me discussing how card A and B work together is about as useful as some giving me advice about how to deal with a sudden snow shower in early October in central Indiana. It could happen, but the chances are remote enough to not be worth mhy time for the discussion. I'd much rather learn to deal with it as it happens and that's my approach to Dominion.

The other thing is that two cards don't interact in a vaccum and the effectiveness of how they work together can certainly be impacted by the other eight cards being used by that person or his or her opponents in a game. I think just because Dominion is a card game, people who have CCG experience fall into a familiar pattern of how to analyze games. But I believe that Dominion breaks that mold in ery significant ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
But these discussions for Dominion seem to be no better than talking card combos for Munchkin.

rickert wrote:
For me discussing how card A and B work together is about as useful as blah blah...

Then..... don't read the discussions?
I really don't understand why this bothers you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.