Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Middle-Earth Quest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wording Clarification: "The Ithil-Stone" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Heup
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Shadow card "The Ithil-Stone" says:

"Search the Plot deck or discard pile...".

The question is whether the Sauron player has to decide beforehand which of the two card piles he/she wants to search or if both piles can be searched?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cheup wrote:
The question is whether the Sauron player has to decide beforehand which of the two card piles he/she wants to search or if both piles can be searched?


You take the card you want from whichever deck it's in. This is the inclusive "or".

I think the Sauron player sees all of the cards that go into the discard pile, so you should know, anyway, whether it's in the discards or still in the draw pile.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heup
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
You take the card you want from whichever deck it's in. This is the inclusive "or".


OK. Thanks.

DaviddesJ wrote:
I think the Sauron player sees all of the cards that go into the discard pile, so you should know, anyway, whether it's in the discards or still in the draw pile.


Should is the key word here. It would add a bit of extra "thrill" if the Sauron player had to decide and possibly chooses the wrong pile. Nevertheless, I agree with you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cheup wrote:
Should is the key word here. It would add a bit of extra "thrill" if the Sauron player had to decide and possibly chooses the wrong pile. Nevertheless, I agree with you.


Well, the discard pile is face-up and common knowledge, so I suppose a nitwit Sauron player could choose the wrong card+pile combo . Really, if you don't know what Plots you've used and what are left shake ...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Well, the discard pile is face-up and common knowledge


The discard pile is face up, but I don't think it's open for inspection.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
Well, the discard pile is face-up and common knowledge


The discard pile is face up, but I don't think it's open for inspection.


Could be. Not that I've so far (30 games) seen more than 5 Plots in the discard pile I think (I do put the Starting Plot back into the box when it's discarded though). If you can't recall which 5 Plots (or 4, since the top card you can see) are there, you got other issues .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heup
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
Not that I've so far (30 games) seen more than 5 Plots in the discard pile I think (I do put the Starting Plot back into the box when it's discarded though). If you can't recall which 5 Plots (or 4, since the top card you can see) are there, you got other issues .


I just understand that we did a little mistake until now while dealing with plot cards. Namely, Sauron put the plot card which he chose to put back in his "Draw Shadow and Plot Cards" step face-up in the discard pile instead of putting it face-down under the plot deck. This is why our discard pile of plot cards was, of course, bigger than only five cards or so.

But, good that I asked this question, so that I can correct this mistake now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Could be. Not that I've so far (30 games) seen more than 5 Plots in the discard pile I think (I do put the Starting Plot back into the box when it's discarded though). If you can't recall which 5 Plots (or 4, since the top card you can see) are there, you got other issues .


For what it's worth, I don't think most inexperienced players pay a great deal of attention to the exact details of plots that don't fit their current situation before discarding them, much less memorizing the titles so that they know exactly what a card is going to do from its title.

I would just let people look at the two cards, wherever they are, to see which one they want. It's not supposed to be a reward for having memorized all of the cards and their titles, imho.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott deVries
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quick question about this card:

It says you may draw this card from the plot deck or discard pile and then play if able.

Does that mean you can draw and play the card? Or play the plot only if it was in your hand before playing the Ithil-Stone card?

If the former, it seems like an extremely powerful card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bender_mania wrote:
Another quick question about this card:

It says you may draw this card from the plot deck or discard pile and then play if able.

Does that mean you can draw and play the card? Or play the plot only if it was in your hand before playing the Ithil-Stone card?

If the former, it seems like an extremely powerful card.


I believe you can draw it from either deck and then play it. To me the "if able" refers to the fact that if you already have 3 Plots in play, then you can't play the Plot you got with IS now. Of course, the smart Sauron player uses the preceding Plot Step on that turn to discard one of his Plots (if you already have IS in hand; if you take the Draw Cards Action, might have to wait a turn to play it).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.