Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Berends
Australia
Waurn Ponds (Geelong)
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just wondering if this plays alright with more then 2 players?

Or if its even possible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about splitting each zone into two areas for units (right and left) and that's the zone they have contested with their opponent to their right or left, respectively (i.e. a unit in your left battlefield can only attack each opponent's left kingdom/quest/battlefield; likewise their defenders can only come from those "sides").

You're effectively each fighting a two-fronted war.

At the beginning of the battlefield phase, one unit can move between the two halves within a zone, but can't cross zones unless normally allowed to do so (Empire). If at any point you only have 1 opponent, your sides immediately merge.

What this does is cut down a bit on the "gang up" factor of a three player game, but at the expense of being more complicated as far as table real estate goes.

I feel like this is a good kernel of an idea, but there's more that needs to be done with it to make it work well and keep the game moving along, such as perhaps raising the starting resources (to base of 4) or even card draws (to base of 2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tricky thing is the 3-player game. Can't help you there.

To play with 4 out of the box, form two teams: Destruction(Orcs, Chaos) and Order(Empire, Dwarfs).
Teammates sit across each other.
The first and the second player receive the First Player Penalty.
The third player's actions or attacks can't target the fourth player.
Once the fourth player's round starts the game proceeds normally.

Two choices to decide the winners:

1. The game ends when one player is eliminated. The other team wins.
2. The game ends when one team is eliminated. The other team wins.

If you like you can mix teams, e.g. Orcs and Empire.

*This, of course, is in no way official, just a home-made variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To Yiorgos - So once your team kills one of your 2 opponents, you're able to gang up on the last opponent? Seems a bit unbalanced to me - am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Greenvoss
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I have played a number of games three player. We just play every person out for themselves. Works well - never had had any problems.

I think the game works great as a multi-player game with no changes to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My house multiplayer rules
Boofus wrote:
The tricky thing is the 3-player game. Can't help you there.

To play with 4 out of the box, form two teams: Destruction(Orcs, Chaos) and Order(Empire, Dwarfs).
Teammates sit across each other.
The first and the second player receive the First Player Penalty.
The third player's actions or attacks can't target the fourth player.
Once the fourth player's round starts the game proceeds normally.

Two choices to decide the winners:

1. The game ends when one player is eliminated. The other team wins.
2. The game ends when one team is eliminated. The other team wins.

If you like you can mix teams, e.g. Orcs and Empire.

*This, of course, is in no way official, just a home-made variant.

I have cooked up a similar multiplayer rule while waiting for my copies of the Core set to arrive.

1st and 2nd player are imposed the First Player Penalty (teammates sit across from each other, of course). Third player must skip his/her first Battlefield phase. Fourth player acts normally.

Game ends when there are collectively 3 burning zones for one team. This team loses the game.

A team member with 2 burning zones is not eliminated from game. Because there is no elimination at 2 burning zones and game only ends when 3 zones are burning collectively, a player can have up to 3 burning zones in his/her capital (thus allowing the opposing team to win). Being "decked out" causes elimination. Each burning zone in a player's capital causes him/her to lose 1 power in that zone (including a power icon from a unit of choice in his/her Battlefield).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
To Yiorgos - So once your team kills one of your 2 opponents, you're able to gang up on the last opponent? Seems a bit unbalanced to me - am I missing something here?

By that time you or your teammate should be also be near elimination if the other side played as a team. So your last opponent still gets a chance to kill somebody and turn it into one on one. Odds are against him though, but that's the penalty for having his teammate killed.

If you think that's unbalanced and only delays the inevitable, go with option 1: One kill, the other side wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ruvion wrote:

Game ends when there are collectively 3 burning zones for one team. This team loses the game.

Nice idea. Seems to be more strategic than my variant, which is more cutthroat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.