JC C.
United States
Seattle
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the situation:

Player II has declared war against player I. The war has not yet been resolved. Player III's turn is in the interim,and Player III proposes a pact with Player I, Loss of Sovereignty, in which Player I would be the side losing 2 culture. Loss of Sovereignty says that no other players can declare war on the player who has lost sovereignty. I'm assuming that does not affect the war already in progress, since it was already declared. Do y'all agree?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Me Too!

You're already in a war, just that the outcome hasn't been decided yet.

Loss of Sovreignty just makes any future declarations impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher Doerr
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In "real life" the war would be cancelled, wouldn't it? Big civilization would say to Aggressor civilization, "You attack Little civilization and you're messing with us, so back off!"

As far as the game, this would also fit under the "disadvantages of being the one who declared the war."

Counterargument: it doesn't actually say on the card that it cancels existing wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tophergopher wrote:
In "real life" the war would be cancelled, wouldn't it? Big civilization would say to Aggressor civilization, "You attack Little civilization and you're messing with us, so back off!"

Not really. In "real life" this pact would never happen. Nations form alliances while they're at peace, but if Nation B is already at war with Nation A, Nation C doesn't sign a treaty with B. If they really want to help B, they would simply declare war on A.

But it doesn't matter what would happen in "real life". In "real life", an army of swordsmen and knights can't fight off an army of tanks. In this game, they can. What's important are the rules of the game, and the rules don't say cancel existing wars so that pretty much settles it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
BagelManB wrote:

Not really. In "real life" this pact would never happen.

Historically it has, a lotdevil
Think of it this way.
For it to "never happen in real life" would require perfect competance by the governments of all the countries involved.
And the one thing you can safely bet on with a government is that it's not "perfectly competent".soblue

However the end results are a bit divided:

e.g. 1939.
Germany declares war on Poland.
UK+France tries to stop war with an ultimatum declaring they have an alliance with Poland.
Didn't save Poland.

1940: Japanese invasion of China
Initial result, was USA supported units like the "flying tigers" which had no significant effect. Eventual result was an oil embargo that resulted in the Pacific half of WW-II.

1969: Arab/Israelie war.
USA supplies Isreal with weapons & logistics support.
That worked just fine for Isreal.

1990: First gulf war.
No formal alliance between Kuwait & USA
So Iraq conquers Kuwait.
Result, not good for Iraq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.