Popular Tags: [View All]
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had my parents over for lunch and I showed them the new shipment of Shenanigans cards. Even though it is the 2-player deck, we decided to play with 4 players. My parents had played before, but it was a while ago so I went over the rules and the different cards powers with them again. We had four kids running around the house, competing for our attention, but we managed to get started.

My mom started the game and the first few rounds were pretty normal (using mostly Lucky Buckets and Well cards). She ended up scoring the first Shenanigans and I scored after that. My dad and Lisa (my wife) ended up scoring eventually. Lisa was feeling ornery and kept attacking me with Canes and Shoe Swaps. She played it pretty well because she used her Spectacles cards to make sure I didn’t have a Hat card to defend myself. There were a few other attacks throughout the game, but most were blocked with hats.

After my second score, I drew my three cards to replenish my hand and the only good card was Pass Hand. I made the bold move of passing to my right because I wanted to have my mom’s hand and she was just to the left of me (she was really close to scoring). To my dismay, each player was able to use a Hat on me so I pretty much wasted my turn.

shake

The game lasted about 30 minutes because there were 4 of us and because my parents are still learning the game. We needed to re-shuffle the play deck and the scored cards three times throughout the game because we kept depleting the draw deck.

It was cool to see that the 2-player deck still works with more players, but that you just have to accept the re-shuffling and there are no Horseshoe cards (reverse direction of play). My mom ended up winning, but the rest of us each had two points at the end so it was a very close game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fortune
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Stare into my eyes and feel the irresistible urge to check out my profile overpowering you...
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you like the game overall? Is it too much luck-driven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Titan Dice in Kickstarter - September 19th!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortune wrote:
How did you like the game overall? Is it too much luck-driven?

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a little biased because I designed the game. However, I've really enjoyed play-testing Shenanigans and haven't grown tired of it yet. It is not the type of game I typically play, but some ideas just came to me and I couldn't help but put the game together. It's simple enough that children can play (about the same level as games like Uno), yet there can be deep strategy and cut-throat plays.

There is a fair amount of luck in the game because cards are randomly drawn from a shuffled deck. However, there can be much strategy involved in which cards are played. Each card has a specific power and using that power at the right time is key. You also need to pay close attention to what cards the other player (or players - when using the extension set) is playing and how many cards they hold.

Most of the decisions involve balancing these goals:

growing your hand (raw quantity)
acquiring specific colors
preventing other players from scoring (using the Spectacles card to keep an eye on what the other players have and then playing the appropriate attack cards)

Bluffing can also be helpful when used appropriately.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Frazier
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped by the booth and played a 3p game. I feel it has about as much luck as any regular card game (spades, rummy, phase 10, etc). There is some additional skill with this game in that each card has a special "ability", in that you need to think about which cards to play (or keep) to grant you the highest chance of calling shenanigans.

Even though red is supposed to be the most common I found that I kept needing ONLY red to call. Luckily I used "taters" to pick up a red from the discards.

ANYWAY, I enjoyed it enough and felt my wife would enjoy it enough that I bought it I'll write a review once I play it with my wife (for a non-bias view)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.