RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lion: Forward airfield question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to use advanced rule 19.1, on forward airfields, but I'm not sure I understand the rationale for the rule -- or maybe I misunderstand the rule itself. In particular, the second of the three "bullet points" confuses me: I treat an "H" result against the primary target as only a "2" instead. Shouldn't it be the other way around? That is, the rationale is that some airfields were "more vulnerable" to attack than those further inland; why then do they take less damage? (I do see that these raids are harder to detect, thanks to the first "bullet point" in the rule.)

In particular, I'm defending against a raid on the airfield at Hornchurch, card 18; the card is marked with the diamond symbol and word "forward." I've drawn the Target Event "Secondary target" (card 102), which means some of the bomber Gruppen will bomb the airfield (the primary target), and some the industry at Canterbury. So I should downgrade damage to the airfield from H to 2? That seems backwards to me. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think its because they were smaller airfields
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I suppose I could see that. With a smaller airfield, there's less to damage?

Also: do I "downgrade" the airfield damage from H to 2 even if I don't draw a secondary target event card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
why then do they take less damage?

When the planes are dispersed in more than one place it's harder for the enemy to destroy them on the ground (or the installations, the fuel tanks, the personnel etc).

Grotius wrote:
So I should downgrade damage to the airfield from H to 2? That seems backwards to me.

Yes, it's still a forward (dispersed) target even if you should bomb it with fewer planes .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hugo -- Attacking a forward airfield is a trade-off for the Germans. It is easier to reach and hit (thus the detection modifier), but only one squadron, rarely two, out of all a sector's squadrons are based there and the sector control room is not there, so there is not very much to damage. Even if the Germans absolutely crater the airfield, its just a field of grass, easily filled in by ground crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanations. It makes sense to me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.