18 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Are there anymore Co-op games out there with a smart mechanism? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
I played Arkham horror, and I felt it was just a bunch of event cards that randomly threw more and more things at you, and you are at its mercy. I played galactica, and I felt the same way. But not Pandemic--the infection/epidemic made sense as you can plan ahead.

Any other co-op games which regulates itself as well as Pandemic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert might fit the bill. There's no way to know which threats will come up, but once they do, you have time to plan your response as they move closer to the ship each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Porter
United States
Winder
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories has a brutal mechanic that keeps the game working against the players. Not only does this take working together...sometimes it takes a little sacrifice in order to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you want to go really "old school" with your co-op games, you can try Sauerbaum and Piraten-Abenteuer, both of which use dice but allow the players to try & create the best situation possible out of the rolls. This is not simply "make MY best move" but also "make the best move for myself AND for the rest of the team."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/466

Inkognito - works only with four. A nice game! Recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red November

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanished Planet would be good. No random badness cards and lots of tension. The downside is the bad organisation of the buying and the number of cards you accumulate at the end of the game.

I"ve played quite a few cooperative games with our children and most are of the random cards throwing bad stuff your way.

- Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tops
Netherlands
Best
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moorwild wrote:

I second Red November...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Ghost Stories is a great game.

There is always Castle Panic which is a co-op game and real fun to play.

Space Alert is a quick thinking co-op and requires co-op play to really appreciate the game. Be aware that it does require your fellow players to co-operate without arguments !

Personally, I love the depth of Ghost Stories; Castle Panic is really easy to learn and set up is quick, too. Space Alert has a CD that gives out info that you then have to make quick decisions between your friends in order to avoid damage etc (this can cause discension if there is a bossy boots that thinks he has all the answers !).

Good Luck with your choice and have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Red November is good. If you like planning ahead you may also like Lord of the Rings. You can not plan for how fast the events are going to hit you, but you certainly know what order they are going to arrive in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Pandemic, you're at the mercy of the blue cards as well as the infector phase cubes that constantly come your way. I don't see how that's different than in BSG where you're at the mercy of crisis cards, etc. BSG does have 2 teams working against each other, but if you were to play the variant without a traitor, wouldn't that be the same thing? You and your teammates plan out and manage the risks of what's to come ahead.

Red Novemember could sound like right up your alley, but agian, note sure of the subtle differences between the games you mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Li
msg tools
mbmb
ackmondual wrote:
In Pandemic, you're at the mercy of the blue cards as well as the infector phase cubes that constantly come your way. I don't see how that's different than in BSG where you're at the mercy of crisis cards, etc. BSG does have 2 teams working against each other, but if you were to play the variant without a traitor, wouldn't that be the same thing? You and your teammates plan out and manage the risks of what's to come ahead.

Red Novemember could sound like right up your alley, but agian, note sure of the subtle differences between the games you mentioned.

In Pandemic, the blue cards are shuffled in such a way that you can have a chance at guessing when the next epidemic is due to arrive. If you are sharp you can have a fair estimate of the probability of the next Epidemic arrival.

The infector phase cubes reset in tune with the epidemics. That means that with the open information, you know what dangers are on board in relation to the cards you are about to reshuffle. You can have a better chance to prevent a reshuffle screw over with some logical statistic thinking.

In BSG, the mechanics does not work itself over in order to ensure that it is attacking you in a systematic manner, regardless of how the event deck was shuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
The same questions that Nat raises for BSG would apply to Red November as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Barcelo
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on the same search as the OP.

I have Red November, and while I still think it's fun, it seems to me more like move and roll game, without too much extra thought needed, since it usually seems most clear what is going to sink the ship first. The great thing about Pandemic is that it's never clear what your biggest problem is going to be, so you have to figure out how to address them all.

I also have Lord of the Rings, which is the closest to Pandemic for me in terms of the need to plan ahead, although again I think the event draws are probably more important than the planning.

Pandemic is the only cooperative game I've played where it looks like all is lost, but after studying the board for 5 minutes and talking things over for another 5, we can come up with a solution that wins the game for us on the last move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
One thing that I failed to point out to Pandemic gamers looking for another co-op is that if they choose Ghost Stories ,the rules can be quite heavy going. So, make sure that at least one of you knows them well enough to explain them to the rest: a long task ahead, but worth while if you have time and patience. It might mean that one whole night gaming is not going to be jolly good fun ! AP does rear it's ugly head.

Whereas with Castle Panic, the rules are very simple and set up quick. The group gets straight into the game and no wasting time. A night that can be full of fun and lots of game play.

Space Alert, read the rules first...explain them to the group and play the CD. Reminder: if you have a member with a Napoleonic complex, the game will be messed up.

For you sake, try Castle Panic first

Enjoy and Kind regards.

Edit;typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alafter wrote:
I played Arkham horror, and I felt it was just a bunch of event cards that randomly threw more and more things at you, and you are at its mercy. I played galactica, and I felt the same way. But not Pandemic--the infection/epidemic made sense as you can plan ahead.

Any other co-op games which regulates itself as well as Pandemic?

Are you interested in a traitor mechanic? Because when you add the expansion to Pandemic, you can play with a bio terrorist.

Similarly in Battlestar Galactica, there are cylons that can even things out. In the expansion, you can play with Cylon Leaders who are cylons from the start and can help ensure you don't have periods where nothing is happening Also, because of the jump track, you can do some planning ahead, and if you use launch scout cards you can check destination or crisis cards ahead of time.

In other words, the traitors add in some smartness and regulation, because they are human

I do enjoy pandemic, and the fact that you can customize the difficulty however you like is quite nice.

Oh also, someone mentioned Ghost Stories. When you play that, you put the boss bad guy 10 cards above the bottom of the deck, so you know you have to work through the rest of the deck to get to him.

I'm not sure if thats the kinda stuff you are looking for, I guess I'm not terribly clear on what you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Carnagey
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sbarcelo wrote:

I also have Lord of the Rings, which is the closest to Pandemic for me in terms of the need to plan ahead, although again I think the event draws are probably more important than the planning.

Shadows over Camelot is alot like Lord of the Rings. If you like Lord of the Rings you'd probably like Shadows over Camelot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.