M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the description, which matches the publisher's pre-order page, but I still have no clue what the game is about. Considering the game box image in combination with its title, I gather it's about ww2, the US actions in Italy. But is it only Sicily? Or Italy? One operation? Abstacted that it doesn't depict a certain action, but more the fighting in general (like [A]SL)? What are we doing in this game??
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
I've read the description, which matches the publisher's pre-order page, but I still have no clue what the game is about. Considering the game box image in combination with its title, I gather it's about ww2, the US actions in Italy. But is it only Sicily? Or Italy? One operation? Abstacted that it doesn't depict a certain action, but more the fighting in general (like [A]SL)? What are we doing in this game??
ninja

Good questions. You're correct that I haven't provided much information beyond the description on what players are actually doing in this game. So I'll give you an overview of what the game is about and describe the structure of each turn- a lot of this is straight out of the rules.

It's all about combat- no particular action- but as you put it, 'fighting in general'- using historically accurate units (1943- or earlier). The Units, their actual weapons, ranges, what they can target, etc. are what yield the 'plausible results' of combat. All of this information is handled on Squad-Level Unit Cards that also track damage during the game.

The Orders of Battle are each player's decks, assembled before the game from available units included with the game (or with expansions). Decks have a point cost maximum of 100 points and each unit has a point value listed on its card. This deck construction element means a LOT of replayability and options right up front.

One turn consists of each player simultaneously participating in three phases: Commitment, Combat, and Draw. Turns continue until one player achieves a win condition.

All units in each player’s "hand" are ready for battle but uncommitted. Units in a player’s hand may be committed onto the game table (the Battle Area) in the Commitment Phase to one of two lines (front or rear) depending on Unit type. Combat occurs among opposing committed units that have legal targets in the Combat Phase. Players draw new Units and/or Command Cards in the Draw Phase.

Players may play Command Cards in the appropriate phase as listed on each Card. Simply reveal and read the Command Card aloud, follow any instructions, and place the spent card face up in a discard pile next to the Command Card deck (which is a common deck among players) or place it as appropriate under committed Unit Cards.

Commitment is simultaneous. Each player places the Unit(s) they wish to commit in the Battle area from their hand on the appropriate front or rear line.

Frontline units are generally tanks, anti-tank guns, infantry, and vehicles. Rear line units generally consist of long range artillery. Aircraft are also part of the game but are not committed to a particular line. The line a unit is committed to is listed on each Unit Card. In the Battle area, the rear line consists of units in a line placed closest to the controlling player. The frontline consists of units in a line placed closest to the opposing player.

For each committed Unit, players may declare to attack a single legal target and choose the weapons used against that legal target to fire once. After all declared attacks are resolved, proceed with the Draw Phase.

Without getting into too much detail on how combat is resolved, I'll just say that it's very quick and easy to resolve one round of attacks.

In the Draw Phase, players have a variety of options to replenish their Units from their Reserves Deck as well as obtain new Command Cards.

To score points, destroyed Units are worth their cost in Victory Points for the destroyer. Captured Units are worth double their cost in Victory Points for the captor.

End Game

The first player to reach 51 Victory Points wins,

Or,

If one player maintains at least one unopposed committed land Unit for three consecutive Combat Phases, the unopposed Units overrun the opponent. The player controlling the unopposed Units wins.

So what are players doing?... creating decks, committing units, declaring and resolving their units' attacks, replenishing units from their Reserves Deck, and using Command Cards to enhance their units and perform other functions that can affect their opponent's ability to do all of the above. The result is a quick game that provides constant tension between each player, is easy to learn, and is fun to play.

To provide theme and setting, we will encourage players to step up to our larger games, like Frontline General: San Pietro Infine, which cover specific actions in specific areas, building on the same basic combat system used in this game.

I hope this answers your question, and if you have any additional questions about the game, please ask away.

Edit: Scenarios are also part of this game. Standard games are described above, but scenarios really enhance the game by adding situations that challenge each side. Each is a hypothetical look at a tactical problem that must be solved- for example, assaulting an 8.8cm gun battery with ground forces, recovering an immobilized tank and its crew (and fending off the other side in the process), or taking a village. 8 total scenarios are included that are freely downloadable upon release of the game from our website. More will be added through newsletters and by publishing selected user-contributed scenarios as they are made. The game does not depend on scenarios, but they are a great way to switch up standard games. With each, I can modify the objectives and game rules to suit the situation. 4 of 8 are completely written and tested as of this edit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about posting the rules for the game, btw?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
How about posting the rules for the game, btw?

The current draft version (not fancy or graphically pretty) will be posted by Feb 1st both on BGG and on frontlinegeneral.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.