BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Board games with campaigns/continuity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Finley

Massachusetts
msg tools
Greetings!

I'm having trouble finding things that have campaign-style continuity, but in board-game format.

Looking for something similar to an RPG (character building, stats, skills etc). Must be playable by as few as 2 people, and ideally, in 30-60 minute sessions.

The league format in Blood Bowl looks promising, but I'm really looking for something a little lighter-weight.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: The Road to Legend Something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations is very close to fitting the bill. You can play with as few as 2 players, and some of the missions (or you can create your own) will be as short as the 60 minute mark.

It's a better game with 4+ though, and games typically last more in the 2-4 hour range, but shorter, 2 player, sessions are possible.

Other than that though, all the RPG stuff you mention is there in spades - it is a beautiful hybrid between board games and RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The pnp World Gauntlet Federation is pretty light and has character development in between games. It also uses an interesting card system to pass the challenges the game throws at you and a nice push your luck element.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: The Fantasy Adventure Board Game, Warhammer Quest, HeroQuest all pretty much fit the bill, being RPG-derived dungeon crawls in which you can keep your character, game to game. The latter two are out of print, though, and can be difficult to get hold of, although copies do crop up on Ebay from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not quite what you're looking for, but Memoir '44 can be played in "grand campaigns" using the Memoir '44: Campaign Book Volume 1. If you win a scenario, it has a small ripple effect into the next scenario. You also make choices about when to bring in reserves. Each chunk of the campaign is scored separately, so you play 3-4 scenarios and then check for points before moving on.

Not really any stat-building or character growth, but still, the campaign continuity is there is you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Finley

Massachusetts
msg tools
Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

World Gauntlet Federation looks fun to try out, and it's cheap too.

HeroQuest is very close to what I'm looking for. I might try to track down a copy. However, I don't like that one person has to play as the dungeon master.

Anything else out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just occurred to me that maybe you'd enjoy a game like Universalis (Revised Edition). It's a storytelling game that has some RPG elements, but needs no GM. Players create settings, characters and other stuff and take control of them using coins. Other players may pay to interrupt and if a conflict is generated, it is solved with a dice mechanic that takes into account people, attributes and objects that may help each side of the conflict.

It's excellent for campaigns because you can keep characters and settings and continue the story with each session being like one chapter of a series.

Also, there's Mythic with its [thing=47402][/thing]. It's basically a RPG that can be played without GM and where you ask questions about your surroundings, actions of other NPCs, etc... and roll on a table to see the answer. It does work pretty well and can be used to play adventures with no prior preparation. Being an RPG it's perfectly suited for campaign play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
altwaev wrote:
Greetings!

I'm having trouble finding things that have campaign-style continuity, but in board-game format.

Looking for something similar to an RPG (character building, stats, skills etc). Must be playable by as few as 2 people, and ideally, in 30-60 minute sessions.

The league format in Blood Bowl looks promising, but I'm really looking for something a little lighter-weight.

Thanks for the help!

Not really RPG-ish, but Formula D is a racing game that has different characters with different skills, and it's easy to set up a league. I'm sure you could work something out where you can earn points and spend them upgrading your characters or what-not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and Heroes includes campaign rules for advancing your little skirmishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Hayes
United States
Knox
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To continue Jorge's thought... Dungeon Plungin' is another GM-less board RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are intersted in Blood Bowl, there are of course also the other Games Workshop games Mordheim: City of the Damned and Necromunda. Both of a similiar complexity to Blood Bowl though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.