Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Wright
United Kingdom
Falmouth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing am I supposed to mark my initial speed with the marker and then decrease by one each time a card is resolved? Or is the speed the same for every card drawn that turn.

I am specifically referring to cards that make me roll a die and compare it to the speed.

I hope this makes sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shiner22 wrote:
When playing am I supposed to mark my initial speed with the marker and then decrease by one each time a card is resolved? Or is the speed the same for every card drawn that turn.

I am specifically referring to cards that make me roll a die and compare it to the speed.

I hope this makes sense!

I do understand what you're saying. You want to know if speed decreases as a natural part of the turn's progress. For example: Pretend I started with a speed of five and I'm on my third card. It wants me to roll a die and compare it to my speed. Am I comparing my die roll to my initial speed of five, or (since I've resolved two cards) to three (five less two is three)?

Answer: I'm going to compare my die roll to five. Each card you resolve has no impact on your speed (unless the card specifically says it does). If you start with a speed of five, you end with a speed of five.

Thanks for asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wright
United Kingdom
Falmouth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the reply.

That is what I thought, but its nice to get some confirmation!

Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Liu
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a followup question, when it says "mark your speed with the speed marker," where exactly do you mark that?

Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put the speed marker on the track where the number that matches my speed is. If my speed is 5, I put my speed marker at "00:05".

Similarly, I put the card marker at the number that matches the number of the card I'm about to draw. It starts each turn at "00:00", and advances one step just before I draw a card. When it reaches the speed marker, I know I'm on my last card.

I know that remembering how many cards you've drawn may seem like an easy thing to keep track of, but sometimes you get so caught up in resolving the most recent card that you can lose track. The card marker can actuall be rather helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing it a few times, I wonder if it would be more interesting to "reduce" your speed as you go on to have the cards depending on speed have a more random effect. I don't know if it would have the desired effect, but there should be more of a "press your luck" aspect of going with a higher speed that I don't think is there right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
Playing it a few times, I wonder if it would be more interesting to "reduce" your speed as you go on to have the cards depending on speed have a more random effect. I don't know if it would have the desired effect, but there should be more of a "press your luck" aspect of going with a higher speed that I don't think is there right now.

Hi Jason,

Given that your BGG nickname incorporates "longshot," I'm not surprised that you're seeking a "press your luck" aspect to the game. I think your suggestion has some interesting disadvantages and advantages...

I agree that reducing your speed as the turn continued would eliminate the need to track cards with a marker and would make the effect of speed-based cards more random. I suspect that it'd make the game much less dangerous by significantly reducing the hazard presented by traps. This would then neuter the "press your luck" part of assessing the deck and picking your speed at the start of a turn. Additionally, it contradicts the metaphysical structure that the speed mechanic is meant to represent. Your speed is how fast you're running through the island lair. You don't go slower or faster during the course of your turn (unless a giant rolling boulder appears to urge you onward). If you were to decrease speed as the turn progresses, that would indicate that the team moves slower and slower as they explore more of the island, which is not really what I'd intended.

That said, it would make a very interesting variant. I think it'd be fun to select a speed of 8 and watch it drop as the turn progressed. It certainly makes the "slowpoke" traps a lot more frightening to encounter near the end of a turn. It could very well be the best (most elegant) rule suggestion I've seen for solo players, since one bad trap (Monofilament Wire Trap, anyone?) can completely take you out.

Side note: The ability to "permanently" adjust the team's actual speed after each card is resolved could be a nifty character card power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.