Popular Tags: [View All]
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://gamessurplus.com/site/product.cfm?id=18BFA527-B3A0-A2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: In stock at Games Surplus
Wow. I am surprised. I thought this was WAY out of print. And the Herpa cars are very collectible. I wonder if they will still have those cars, or if it is a new printing. Pricey, but a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Wow. I am surprised. I thought this was WAY out of print. And the Herpa cars are very collectible. I wonder if they will still have those cars, or if it is a new printing. Pricey, but a good game.

I've heard rumors that there are plenty of copies available in existence, but they aren't being distributed. I can't substantiate those claims though.

I know Magnus Spiel has had it available for some time too.

EDIT: Poor choice of word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
And the Herpa cars are very collectible.

Unfortunately the Herpa cars can't the the handling that you will use in the game. Put the Herpa cars on the shelf, and buy yourself some MicroMachine cars instead. They fit better on the tracks, and can take any kind of wear and tear. In addition you can usually get MicroMachine cars cheap at car-boot sales, or the local yard-sale.

Lars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Looks like only 1 copy left as of this post.

Sold Out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Wow. I am surprised. I thought this was WAY out of print.

It *is* way out of print. It has never been reprinted, but the original printruns of the maps were 5000 per map. And when I last talked with the designers in 2005 (last time they were in Essen), they still had thousands of maps left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Great Dane wrote:
Solamar wrote:
Wow. I am surprised. I thought this was WAY out of print.

It *is* way out of print. It has never been reprinted, but the original printruns of the maps were 5000 per map. And when I last talked with the designers in 2005 (last time they were in Essen), they still had thousands of maps left.

If that is the case, why is it so hard to find a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:

Because the two designers/publishers are hard to find!

When I last saw them in 2005, they had been away from the fair in several years, and they only returned because they had invented a new game Taxi and the city, based upon the move-mechanism in DMSS. They hoped to sell this game with customized maps with various larger cities as sponsors, but the game flopped - not surprisingly as moving cars based upon a simple die roll without any time limit is very b-o-r-i-n-g-! snore

I have met them several times since 1997, and bought at least 20 maps from them - and cut at least half of them into pieces, to combine into new tracks (!) - and every time have I tried to explain to them how people around the world are eager to hold of the game, but either they don't get it, or they simply don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
kneumann wrote:

Because the two designers/publishers are hard to find!

When I last saw them in 2005, they had been away from the fair in several years, and they only returned because they had invented a new game Taxi and the city, based upon the move-mechanism in DMSS. They hoped to sell this game with customized maps with various larger cities as sponsors, but the game flopped - not surprisingly as moving cars based upon a simple die roll without any time limit is very b-o-r-i-n-g-! snore

I have met them several times since 1997, and bought at least 20 maps from them - and cut at least half of them into pieces, to combine into new tracks (!) - and every time have I tried to explain to them how people around the world are eager to hold of the game, but either they don't get it, or they simply don't care.
Wow. That is good to know. So how many maps were made? I think I have 2 maps. It sounds like buying more maps to cut and paste must have been really expensive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
So how many maps were made? I think I have 2 maps.

There are 3 official maps:
the original Hockenheim
Nürnbergring

and Oschersleben.

The first two are both great, while the last isn't particular interesting - which is fortunate as that may be the most difficult to get hold on, even though it has the same print run.

This is because it is partrly to blame for the problems of the small publisher. They made a verbal agreement with Volkswagen of a sponsorship for the map, as the designers had done with other manufacturers for the first two maps: their VW logo would be used on billboard signs etc. along the track while they paid part of printing cost, which is pretty substantial for maps of this size and quality.

Unfortunately, when the maps had been printed, it turned out that VW had no intention of paying anything - in fact they wanted to be paid for use of their logo!

I never heard the final outcome of the incident, so it could very well be that the Oschersleben track have been withdrawn from the official market.

Solamar wrote:
It sounds like buying more maps to cut and paste must have been really expensive!

Not really. I always bought directly from their stand in Essen, where you could buy everything separately - so I simply bought additional dice and maps whenever I felt the need. I believe they sold them for 10 Deutschmarks, so that would be 5 Euro/7 dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Not really. I always bought directly from their stand in Essen, where you could buy everything separately - so I simply bought additional dice and maps whenever I felt the need. I believe they sold them for 10 Deutschmarks, so that would be 5 Euro/7 dollars.
Sweet. Thank you for all the great information!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's gone now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are online, and everyone seems to be substituting micro machines in place of the fragile Herpa cars. How hard would it be to print out your own map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Not hard at all, take a look at the files Eddy Bee posted over in the Speed Circuit section here at BGG. I downloaded those, did a little modification and resized them a bit, printed them out and glued them to "pvc tub liner", sold in the plumbing section at Lowe's. Work just fine, and the way I did them they do decent enough double duty for Speed Circuit as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.