Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fields Of Fire has a lot of rules, no doubt about it. The level of detail is one of the great things about this game.
Despite the level of rules detail, as in real life, not every situation can be anticipated. And so, when I don't know what to do in a particular situation, I just do what seems correct from what I have already learned and play through. Kind of like real life. "winging it" does not hinder the excitement, but rather adds to it. "Winging it" actually seems in keeping with the spirit of the game as the troops on the ground out of touch with command are left to their own devices.
What I am trying to say is that whether intentional or not, for me, the vagaries of the rules adds to the simulation rather than detracts from it. In this game, the rules try to present a philosophy for gameplay rather than try to address every possible event with a rigid unyielding structure. Once you understand the underlying philosophy of the game, gameplay flows naturally. I think Fields of Fire is the most unique, interesting and fun game/simulation I have played in my brief, 2 year span of wargaming. I have only played mission I about ten times and each attempt has been tense, exciting and different.

So please, don't get hung up by all of these rules questions. They are part of the challenge and camaraderie with our fellow soldiers. Jump in and play the game. Soon the rules will melt into the background. You can debrief with the BN HQ (BGG) after the mission. Some things you will have done right and some wrong. Keep trying. That's where the fun is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Don't let searching for rules hinder the fun of your initial play thoughs (too much searching anyway - you'll have to do some just to understand the play flow). Almost every rule makes common sense after you think it through. So your hunch about the right way to play a certain situation is probably going to be right.

After playing a while a quick reread of all the rules help the rules to make much more sense. You'll also discover a thing or two you have been playing the wrong way and can fix it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree to an extent. I just think nobody wants to do something and find out later it was wrong and would have changed the game dramatically.

I remember when I got an enemy package that had a minefield on one of my first row set up cards that had a whole platoon, and a unit had move in that card. The entire platoon could have been wiped out on turn one ruining any chance of me winning that mission.

I find out later, that I could have ignored the placement or played through without setting off the mines.

Don't get me wrong....this is the best game I've played in decades, but IMO, one needs to research the rules proper before "winging it." Can make a big difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DocD wrote:

I find out later, that I could have ignored the placement or played through without setting off the mines.

Wait, what? You can ignore the mines in the 1st row??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Summers
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree you need to be able to wing it at times to enjoy the game, but I think you're giving the designer/rules writer too much credit to even hint it's intentional.

Bottom line is I expect game to come with a clear rulebook. If I choose to play w/ some house rules or imagination then great, but I shouldn't have to guess at the designer's intentions. Most of the time I would just refuse to buy a game w/ a weak rulebook, but the gameplay here was too good to pass up.

I'm still hoping (although my hopes are starting to fade) that they release a rewritten rules book, that will entice more folks who chose not to buy this game. A better rulebook would likely result in more sales, and more expansions for us all to enjoy. Until then, I'll continue to play and enjoy the game and chuckle to myself at the brave folks who try to give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm.. not that I know of - unless we are misunderstanding what was written below and there is more to it then stated. Curious.

moriarty88 wrote:
DocD wrote:

Wait, what? You can ignore the mines in the 1st row??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
Fields Of Fire has a lot of rules, no doubt about it. The level of detail is one of the great things about this game.
Despite the level of rules detail, as in real life, not every situation can be anticipated. And so, when I don't know what to do in a particular situation, I just do what seems correct from what I have already learned and play through. Kind of like real life. "winging it" does not hinder the excitement, but rather adds to it. "Winging it" actually seems in keeping with the spirit of the game as the troops on the ground out of touch with command are left to their own devices.
What I am trying to say is that whether intentional or not, for me, the vagaries of the rules adds to the simulation rather than detracts from it. In this game, the rules try to present a philosophy for gameplay rather than try to address every possible event with a rigid unyielding structure. Once you understand the underlying philosophy of the game, gameplay flows naturally. I think Fields of Fire is the most unique, interesting and fun game/simulation I have played in my brief, 2 year span of wargaming. I have only played mission I about ten times and each attempt has been tense, exciting and different.

So please, don't get hung up by all of these rules questions. They are part of the challenge and camaraderie with our fellow soldiers. Jump in and play the game. Soon the rules will melt into the background. You can debrief with the BN HQ (BGG) after the mission. Some things you will have done right and some wrong. Keep trying. That's where the fun is.

Wow, the clouds opened up and there was Fields of Fire floating down into my hands, and... Oh... Sorry... Your post just made me feel so Zen cool

Sorry I was just kidding, I think there is a lot of truth to what you say. It is sometimes unfortunate that war gamers are generally very literal and cannot function well under ambiguity, or is that just me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is mission 4 in which you set up with PC counters on the first row. Well, one of the counters turned out to be a Minefield, and I had an entire platoon on the card.....and the PLT HQ had just moved to another cover....which brings up another question....do mines go off if you move "in the card"?

Anyway, I read somewhere on the comsimworld site, tha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocD wrote:
I think it is mission 4 in which you set up with PC counters on the first row. Well, one of the counters turned out to be a Minefield, and I had an entire platoon on the card.....and the PLT HQ had just moved to another cover....which brings up another question....do mines go off if you move "in the card"?

Anyway, I read somewhere on the comsimworld site, tha

The mines go off affecting everyone on the card when the PC is resolved whether they move 'in the card' or not. After that the only movement you can do without drawing for mines is to sit still or move off the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
moriarty88 wrote:
I'm still hoping (although my hopes are starting to fade) that they release a rewritten rules book, that will entice more folks who chose not to buy this game. A better rulebook would likely result in more sales, and more expansions for us all to enjoy. Until then, I'll continue to play and enjoy the game and chuckle to myself at the brave folks who try to give it a go.

As far as I know Ben Hull still is in Iraq, delaying a rewritten rulebook...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.