41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion: Seaside» Forums » News

Subject: Seaside expansion to be released week of October 19 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Gold
msg tools
Just heard from Rio Grande Games that the Seaside expansion will be released during the week of October 19. This release is "everywhere".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's to be released BEFORE Essen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Ölmestig
Sweden
Halmstad
Halland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mhgolob wrote:
Just heard from Rio Grande Games that the Seaside expansion will be released during the week of October 19. This release is "everywhere".

My emphasis. It's the same week as Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who might not want to take your word for it, Jay Tummelson of Rio Grande Games posted the same thing here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was blinded by the 19th. I hadn't checked/though about the day it might fall on hard enough in relation to Essen.

Indeed we'll probably see it in stores Friday DURING the fair.

That makes perfect sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that include the US as well? Or has it not yet shipped overseas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Faranim wrote:
Does that include the US as well? Or has it not yet shipped overseas?

That includes the USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
Wow, I'm surprised this will be released so soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sheets
United States
Pinson
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Indeed we'll probably see it in stores Friday DURING the fair.

This isn't someone like Apple we are talking about here, there is no way they can control the network of distributors and resellers well enough to have it happen on a specific day. Hence why he said the 'week of'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
TheEbonyTurtle wrote:
Wow, I'm surprised this will be released so soon.

Indeed. 2 weeks before the release and no information has been revealed in any form, beyond a teaser about a new mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not trying to be mean but this isn't a big mystery. Jay wants to protect the release for the people at Essen. I believe that Con has been very good to Rio Grande. So he's not spoiling most things about the set. But he also cares a lot about the U.S. gamers and that's why he's making it available here the same week that it is at Essen.

The way I look at it, most everyone falls in one of three camps. There are people who really love the game and can't wait for Seaside and plan to buy it no matter how much or little they know about it beforehand. I'm in that group. There are the people who don't like the game and couldn't care less about what is or isn't in Seaside. Then there's the people who like Dominion but want to wait to see what is in Seaside to determine f they'll buy. I think people in that group can probably wait until the game is available to find out what's in it. So it appears there's very little wrong with not getting information early and it should have marginal effect, if any, on the success of Seaside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
rickert wrote:
The way I look at it, most everyone falls in one of three camps. There are people who really love the game and can't wait for Seaside and plan to buy it no matter how much or little they know about it beforehand. I'm in that group. There are the people who don't like the game and couldn't care less about what is or isn't in Seaside. Then there's the people who like Dominion but want to wait to see what is in Seaside to determine f they'll buy. I think people in that group can probably wait until the game is available to find out what's in it. So it appears there's very little wrong with not getting information early and it should have marginal effect, if any, on the success of Seaside.

People complained before that there was too much hype, now they're complaining that there isn't enough information. Make up your minds, people! We only want to make you happy.

I don't know if having no previews is the best strategy, but yeah, it's hard to see it making much of a difference either way. We aren't counting on pre-orders or something. Anyone who wants to wait to see the cards before buying Seaside will probably be able to see them before the game is in stores anyway. I guess the lack of previews favors brick & mortar stores a little, because if you wait to see the cards and then order it online, you have to wait longer? And it means you can't play the zombie version yet either.

Anyway it's all up to Jay; he decided against previews, for whatever reason, so there are no previews. I have to write a preview for BGN still, but it won't go up until Essen starts. And I have a secret history written, but that won't go up until after Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald, I would love to have a copy in my hands by the time you post your preview, but I promise I'll still read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
rickert wrote:
Donald, I would love to have a copy in my hands by the time you post your preview, but I promise I'll still read it.

By "still" I didn't mean "despite the preview not actually appearing prior to the game's release," which I don't mind. I meant, "and I still haven't gotten that task done."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cheng Meister
Australia
Maylands
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
The way I look at it, most everyone falls in one of three camps. There are people who really love the game and can't wait for Seaside and plan to buy it no matter how much or little they know about it beforehand.

I agree, I also am in that group.
I don't care how much information is released, I just want Seaside!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's going to matter to fans if they see the cards or not, before buying it, but personally, being secretive about the cards is not the way to go. I guess the only reason it's being done this way is to bring it more hype during Essen.

I guess it doesn't matter, we'll be finding out soon enough. Just strange for a game to be so guarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gold
msg tools
One of the best features of Dominion is its re-playability. I assume that most fans of the game will purchase the Seaside expansion because it will increase the re-playability even further. Although it would be nice to review the Seaside deck in advance, I trust that the designers will release cards which will work synergetically with earlier decks so it increases the value of the franchise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
Just strange for a game to be so guarded.

Yes it is, yes it is.

Then again very few games get previews at all.

Make that true previews with pictures and mechanics, unless they release the rules online, which is most often VERY close to a game's release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't all the Intrigue cards get leaked when they shouldn't have last? A few were officially previewed, but then someone with a copy posted them all before the official release. Maybe that plays a part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Didn't all the Intrigue cards get leaked when they shouldn't have last? A few were officially previewed, but then someone with a copy posted them all before the official release. Maybe that plays a part?

I think that's more to the point, but again, did that stop anyone from buying it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

People complained before that there was too much hype, now they're complaining that there isn't enough information. Make up your minds, people! We only want to make you happy.

Dominion: Meeple Invasion, Dominion: Workers, Dominion: Dice Fortress, and Dominion: Jingles the BGG Pony should about cover it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care about when I see the cards as long as I get to read the rulebook before I play so I know the certain nuances about specific card combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Progmode wrote:

I think that's more to the point, but again, did that stop anyone from buying it?

But will not knowing ahead of the release keep anyone from buying it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting release strategy. I'm sure that there will be less sales with it, but at the same time, there's no fuel to feed the Dominion haters.

I hope that Filosofia will get the french version in Québec in a shorter delay than for Invasion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
Progmode wrote:

But will not knowing ahead of the release keep anyone from buying it?

I love circular arguments/conversations, don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.