Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm thinking pretty far ahead here, but I was thinking of getting my nephews (8 & 10) the base set of Famous Aces and one miniature each.

What would be two planes that would offer a good balance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy.

Well,the Fokker Triplane and Sopwith Camel are a good choice.

1. Balanced.

2. Famous

3. Actually have an interesting battle 1 on 1.

Going with something like "Spad vs Albatros DV" will give you a situation where a great deal of the fighting-- for 1 on 1-- is circling around and doing head-on shots at each other.

With the Fokker Tripe vs Sop Camel, you can get into real maneuver fighting and tail chasing.

You could also consider Sop Snipe vs Fokker D7 as a pretty interesting match, but the planes are not so similar in speed and abilities.
Nor are they as "famous."

Whether you want to give miniatures of planes that are IN Famous Aces or want to avoid that I can't answer-- You can still use the Snipe and D7 "cards" to play against the card-planes in Fam. Aces.

But how nice to have such interesting choices. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any plane from series 1 would do...
I would take a Camel probably for the allies ...
And for the German a Fokker DR. I just because it has 3 wings and it will catch the kid's curiosity hehe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also opt for the Fokker Dr I and the Camel or similar. It is easier to estimate their turning circle and keep them on the table. It would be very frustrating to keep losing with a SPAD repeatedly flying off the playing field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses! Thumbs for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.