Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bad_deals [+] [View All]
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish that subject line were a joke, but it's not.

Finally got moved into my new house yesterday, and among many other items that didn't show up (like the Wii and all its accessories), and my HeroScape miniatures were missing. So, I now have two boxes of terrain and all the dragons--they were too big to fit in my storage boxes--and that's it.

*sigh*

To be clear, I'm not asking any of the super-nice patrons of Geekdo (formerly known as BGG) to offer to send me miniatures or help me rebuild my collection in any way. I'll replace them all, eventually.

I'm just upset and want to vent: [color=red]The @#$(*@#$ movers stole my miniatures!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Pips
United States
Lititz
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact the company ... unless, of course, it is family and friends ... in that case, maybe they are borrowing your games and are on the road to entertainment enlightenment and conversion.

"Wii wish to be geeks. Show us the way."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reputable company will reimburse you or get to the bottom of that issue. I speak from experience with Navy-hired movers - occasionally you get the bad egg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see the look of disbelief when you tell them the value of the contents:

"I had these semi-collectible plastic miniatures, including limited print runs that went missing after my move."

"Okay, so a bunch of toys, how much are we looking at here, 20, 30 bucks?"

"No, actually these include several unique, dis-continued models that go for several hundred dollars apiece on eBay"

"Oh....." surprise surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
No, actually these include several unique, dis-continued models that go for several hundred dollars apiece on eBay

Alas... if only that were true, my stuff would be on eBay right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear of your moving woes. DEFINITELY contact the moving company immediately and let them know that your stuff is missing and then do a comprehensive list of what's missing. Worry about the actual dollar value later, just make sure you list out the missing items. The company should be insured if they can't locate the missing items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liz,

Really sorry to hear about the theft - really sucks!

Having moved a few more times than the average bear, I consider myself lucky that we've never had anything significant lost, broken or stolen.

Assuming you did a proper inventory during packing/pickup and delivery/unpacking with the company, you should have up to 90 days (give or take - depending on the company I guess) to file a claim. Especially for stuff like high-dollar electronics, they should have done a special inventory on those items.

Hope you can get your stuff back ok! (or at least get failry compensated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

We're preparing to file a claim listing all the items that are 'lost,' which also includes my Star Wars CCG collection (which will be time-consuming to value and replace--my large-scale board game items sure took a hit!), my Rock Band Ion Drum Rocker, all Wii-related stuff, and a bunch of other stuff.

Rrgh.

I'm concerned that this might not be a reputable moving company, but hey, I guess I'll find out in a few days. Maybe our items will all turn up somewhere, since there were so many, or else they'll actually fair compensate us for losing all them. On the plus side, we didn't lose any irreplaceable items (photos, scrapbooks, etc.).

I guess I'll try to look on the bright-side: I can get to work crafting some kick-ass HS boards while I rebuild the miniatures collection. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
I'd love to see the look of disbelief when you tell them the value of the contents:

"I had these semi-collectible plastic miniatures, including limited print runs that went missing after my move."

"No, actually these include several unique, dis-continued models that go for several hundred dollars apiece on eBay"

Also, I'm sure this is exactly what's going to happen. I'm partially mentioning this loss on Geekdo because all my friends who haven't played HS would say, "You spent how much exactly on all these miniatures?" in utter disbelief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have my sympathy!

What a rotten thing to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
Kestril wrote:

"Oh....." :surprise: :surprise:

Also, I'm sure this is exactly what's going to happen. I'm partially mentioning this loss on Geekdo because all my friends who haven't played HS would say, "You spent how much exactly on all these miniatures?" in utter disbelief.

I would make an itemized list of all the figures you had for Heroscape and list the MSRP to replace. Be sure to do the MSRP, not the Walmart price. In cases where the items will legitimately not be available in the near future (eg. Flagbearers and Volcarren Wasteland) I would list the prices of recently closed ebay auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Minivann wrote:
manutd03 wrote:
Kestril wrote:

I would make an itemized list of all the figures you had for Heroscape and list the MSRP to replace. Be sure to do the MSRP, not the Walmart price. In cases where the items will legitimately not be available in the near future (eg. Flagbearers and Volcarren Wasteland) I would list the prices of recently closed ebay auctions.

Let me mention that I did EXACTLY that (so, good call) a few days ago and the grand total is...$2,452. surprise

Yikes. Of course, I didn't buy any packs when they cost $40-50 each, but that's why it took something like 18 months to build the entire collection. Here we go again.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch!!! Have you contacted the movers yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
Ouch!!! Have you contacted the movers yet?

Yes. Nothing was found. We're filing claims with them (could take awhile) and our insurance company (which will pay us once we settle with the movers).

Just a lot of hassle, when all I want to do is play with miniatures.... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about your troubles Liz. Half the trouble with this kind of thing is all the red tape and delays and calls and hassle. Perhaps also give the name of the company so that others in your area reading this will know to avoid them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mendenhall
United States
Unspecified
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That just sucks. I hope you get them back or compensated Liz. And definitely post up a warning about using that company in the future for other people.

Hmm. As a precaution in the future if I have to move again (shudder) I'm packing the games in the car with me. The heck with clothes and family heirlooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PurpleBeard wrote:
That just sucks. I hope you get them back or compensated Liz. And definitely post up a warning about using that company in the future for other people.

Hmm. As a precaution in the future if I have to move again (shudder) I'm packing the games in the car with me. The heck with clothes and family heirlooms.

I hope to be buying a place and moving somewhere local in the next few months, and there are a LOT of things I'm going to move myself, just so this kind of thing doesn't happen. Thanks for the cautionary tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a final update, for anyone who's subscribed to this thread, my husband and I sued the movers in federal court (we're both attorneys and figured it'd be good practice) for $10,000, which is how much of our stuff they jacked. They eventually settled for $7,500, since there's no way they were going to win this one. Our insurance company made up the difference, so we came out okay.

And we got to cost that moving company a lot of money (they hired an attorney to defend the case), so we were also fairly pleased about that. I guess it's a happy ending for us, but it took a lot of time and effort to get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
As a final update, for anyone who's subscribed to this thread, my husband and I sued the movers in federal court (we're both attorneys and figured it'd be good practice) for $10,000, which is how much of our stuff they jacked. They eventually settled for $7,500, since there's no way they were going to win this one. Our insurance company made up the difference, so we came out okay.

And we got to cost that moving company a lot of money (they hired an attorney to defend the case), so we were also fairly pleased about that. I guess it's a happy ending for us, but it took a lot of time and effort to get there.

Hah! Well done. Most moving companies know that the cost of litigation is a major barrier to people asking for damages, and thus, I think, are a little cavalier about making sure possessions don't go missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for providing the update. Wow I can't believe how long it took for all that! Good luck reconstructing all your lost collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zordren wrote:
Thanks for providing the update. Wow I can't believe how long it took for all that! Good luck reconstructing all your lost collections.

At this point, I've re-bought almost everything except some Wave 4 commons and a few other miscellaneous figures. But I'll get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
Zordren wrote:

At this point, I've re-bought almost everything except some Wave 4 commons and a few other miscellaneous figures. But I'll get there.

That's awesome - glad to hear it. How'd you make out with the Star Wars CCG stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the wonderful thing about having a spouse who is an attorney, lowers the cost of litigation quite a bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottB wrote:
manutd03 wrote:
Zordren wrote:

That's awesome - glad to hear it. How'd you make out with the Star Wars CCG stuff?

I did not re-purchase any of my lost SWCCG cards. My husband had a good-sized collection, though, which I've now built into 18 decks,* so life is good.

*Since we don't plan on playing in any tournaments, we've been pretty liberal about printing color copies of the cards off the internet when we need them for a deck, or copying them if we just need more copies (I then use a glue stick to stick them to some crappy common I don't need, so all the cards have the right backs and the right feel to them. Overall, I'm just happy to have decks we can grab and play whenever we feel like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.