Subject: Zombie Game Night! - Suggestions please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Tyler
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
I have a 4-player group of gamers that meet weekly, and I was thinking of having a :z ombie:Zombie Game Night :z before Halloween. All of us are fans of a few games that we all know we like. I'm looking to get some Zombie-themed games along the lines of our typicals, or even something that is very different but could be a great game! I'm really interested in a co-op style game, or an GM-ish style with one vs the others. Any suggestions from the BGG sages out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Tyler
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
Well, I forgot to mention what we play!

Dominion & expansion, Risk, Munchkin, Munchkin Cthulhu, Munchkin Bites
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game would probably fit the bill. It's semi-cooperative (with a group of four, two of you would play the zombies and two would play the heroes.) You battle with dice like in Risk.

It even comes with a soundtrack of Zombie-ish music, which would be fun for Halloween.

A really fun game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Gameis what you are looking for. It is a team game. With one team being Zombies and the other heroes.

Since you like other games people get down on because of their time commitment and luck factor (Risk and Munchkin) your gaming group might also be a candidate for enjoying Zombies!!!. Their are GM and co-op variants out there, but the base game is a "take that" game with a high amount of luck.

Zombies is cheaper, so if you are looking for a one night deal then Zombies is less investment, but Last Night on Earth is the better game (at least in my opinion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Haggard
United States
New Whiteland
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since LNOE was already suggested, I will throw in some suggestions for music.

Zombies + Halloween = MISFITS. It would be a one HELL of a time. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Tyler
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
Amy, Sean-

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! That's exactly what I was looking towards. I was also looking at Zombie Fluxx for something different. I am for sure getting Zombies!!! and maybe an expansion if we like the game. I'll have to wait for the local game store to get more Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game in stock.

Anyone else have any more ideas for even Halloween-themed games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
For eats I gotta go with the Brains! Jello mold.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/zombies/aa74

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly - It just won't die.
Candy Land - No brain required.

zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Johnson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kowgawd wrote:
I have a 4-player group of gamers that meet weekly, and I was thinking of having a :z ombie:Zombie Game Night :z before Halloween. All of us are fans of a few games that we all know we like. I'm looking to get some Zombie-themed games along the lines of our typicals, or even something that is very different but could be a great game! I'm really interested in a co-op style game, or an GM-ish style with one vs the others. Any suggestions from the BGG sages out there?

For a comical experience, and a very light game, you may want to give Zombie Fluxx a try...

(Edited a bunch of times because I didn't realize there was a "Game" button to quickly include the link, that's awesome!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you want to tray something different: Mall of Horror .

its like Lifeboats . with zombies! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror

Zombies!!!

Zombie Plague

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody had the idea of replacing the cubes in Pandemic with little plastic zombies--it's really fun!

Also, Last Night on Earth is my fave.

R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Johnson
United States
Harrogate
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it doesn't exactly fit the Zombie theme, A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game fits the overall horror theme quite nicely and can be played fully co-op, competitive, or team. It's the second game released by Flying Frog, with their first already suggested multiple times (Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game). Last Night on Earth gets a huge thumbsup from me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be Mall of Horror, easy to pick up, streamlined play, lots of backstabbing! Great fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombietown is also a fun zombie themed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humans!!! Humans will pit the Zombies against the humans trying to turn each non-zombie into one of there own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatul√Ľk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since most of the relevant games have already been posted here, I would throw in Martians!!! as well, since Aliens + Halloween = fits quite well!zombiegoo

And you could mix it with Zombies!!! as well...

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love October because I get to unleash all of my horror themed games with little to no resistance! Zombie games are the most popular and here are my thoughts on the one's I own.

Zombies!!! - This is a terrific beer n pretzels game. If you like the backstabby nature of Munchkin then this will go over very well. You might want to look up the "faster play" rules in the files section on The Geek. I HIGHLY recommend getting Zombies!!! 3.5: Not Dead Yet and never play the base game without it. It makes it much easier to obtain weapons and screw over your neighbor.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - This game mimics a small town invasion of zombies. It lacks the sheer numbers of Zombies!!! but it has deeper mechanics and you get to play against an actual zombie player. Also the variety of scenarios keeps the dead smelling fresh after multiple plays.

Give Me the Brain! - This fun little filler is about working in a restaurant that is run by brainless zombies. It's chaotic as all hell and genuinely funny. It has plenty of "screw you" moments and it doesn't last too long.

Lord of the Fries - This game goes hand in hand with Give Me the Brain! Instead of performing tasks you are actually using ingredients in your hand to fufill orders. My friends and I really enjoy this one although I recommend only playing 1 or 2 shifts (game rounds) to determine a winner.

Humans!!! - The brother to Zombies!!! is Humans!!! This is a well designed game that pits opposing zombie forces against one another. The zombie sculpts are amazing and the rules for capturing/infecting humans are fun and unique. Plus the look on your opponents face when they are about to win and you arm their human with a shotgun is priceless. Good stuff.

Mall of Horror - The main mechanic with this zombie game is negotiating. It's very brutal and you better be playing with gamers who aren't thin-skinned and take things too personally.

Zombie Fluxx - For a cheap card game with a pasted on zombie theme this isn't so bad. There is practically zero strategy involved as you are completely at the mercy of the cards you draw. Still the zombie theme makes this better than regular ol' fluxx and it makes for a brainless filler.

Non Zombie horror recommendations

Fury of Dracula (second edition) - A deadly game of cat n' mouse! This one takes a while so make sure everyone is prepared to hunker down for a 2-4 hours. The game is very simple to play and I find playing as Dracula is more fun, but once you get a hint of his trail the fun begins. It's amazing how well the theme is implemented in the mechanics of this one.

Arkham Horror - Another beast of a game that takes an evening to play, but it's well worth it. Someone needs to be VERY familiar with the rules to keep things running smoothly. This co-op is hard to win and don't be surprised by an overwhelming sense of dread and failure...but I still love it.

Fearsome Floors - Don't look now but a giant monster is about devour you whole! This silly race game is a hoot. It's light and quick, plus it features amazing artwork and quality components. This is a big hit for my group.

Ghost Stories - This is another horror co-op game...except this one is easy to learn, yet REALLY difficult to win. You play as Taoist Monks trying to kick ass in small village. You are trying to stop an evil demon named Wu Feng and he is one hard mo-fo to bring down. Cheers have erupted when finally winning. Good times.

It's Alive! - You play as wannabe Doctor Frankensteins who are each trying to build your own monster. This macabre, yet humorous, bidding game is really fun. Plus it's just great to yell, "It's Alive" and more designers should find a way to weaver that into their games.

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game - This is a Gothic Adventure game that plays like a mixture of Talisman and Arkham Horror. The competitive game is more fufilling that the co-op version, but I have fun regardless. Advancing your hero to take down the sinister villain is great fun.

Good luck!

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aah! Mr. D! he is great! wonderfuller even if you do Ze Aczent as ze Count!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Non Zombie horror recommendations

Betrayal at House on the Hill- this game is horror in nature and a few of the scenarios have a zombie theme to them like the Zombie Master one or Zombie Family. It is very co-op until the traitor is revealed then you kill people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.