dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if Smeagol is guiding the FSP and there are fewer "regular" companions then the number tile drawn when Breaking of the FSP is played?

For example, FSP is composed of Smeagol and Boromir when tBotF is played and a "2" is drawn? Does Boromir and Smeagol "separate" (Smeagol being eliminated) so We Shall Get It enters play, or does Boromir separate, then Smeagol immediately changes to Gollum, so only 1 Companion separates and WSGI does not enter play?

tBotF states that the FP "must separate an equal number of companions" as a the numbered tile draw. WSGI only enters if Smeagol "is eliminated in any way" but "if at any time Smeagol is the only Companion in the FSP, replace Smeagol with Gollum. WSGI does not enter play." It seems to me that as soon as the regular companions leave the FSP, Smeagol becomes Gollum. Alternatively, maybe all the Companions must leave together so Smeagol would leave and WSGI would come into play.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, when Merry and Pippin are guiding the fellowship, and the fellowship takes a '2' to the head, both of them separate to the same place. This to me implies that - at least in that situation - all changes to the fellowship are batched together before other effects resolve.

Applying this logic to the Breaking of the Fellowship to a '2' - Electric Boogaloo - that first two chumpanions would separate, then We Shall Get It comes out because Smeagol was separated.

That's pretty tenuous thought, and I've given up trying to reason on WotR rules. I just wait for the rulings and blindly obey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave, yes that makes sense and if I was a betting man, that's probably the way I'd go. However, I just can't see Smeagol, as crazy and demented as he is, going off with any of the other Companions, except at sword-point; but I guess then he immediately appears back in the FSP as Gollum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
What? Think of the roleplaying potential there!:

Master, we promised on the precious to guide you to Mordor,
*gollum*
*gollum*
But the menses in Gondor, we needs to help them!
Many nasty orcses sneaking up on them.
But we go with the big hairy man; we helps him; we helps Gondors; we fight!
Tells the precious 'sorry' for us, master!
cheerio!
*gollum*
*gollum*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weasely's right. The separation of the Companions is a single action, so both Smeagol and Boromir would separate together, resulting in Smeagol's elimination and We Shall Get It coming into play. Gollum would then return to guide the Fellowship.

As to the "theminess" of this, I can perfectly well see Boromir deciding that Frodo and Sam should go it alone and forcibly bringing Smeagol with him rather than leaving him with the hobbits. The thoroughly cheesed-off Gollum would later escape and track them down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Archibald Zimonyi
Sweden
Gothenburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
As to the "theminess" of this, I can perfectly well see Boromir deciding that Frodo and Sam should go it alone and forcibly bringing Smeagol with him rather than leaving him with the hobbits. The thoroughly cheesed-off Gollum would later escape and track them down.

Well in the books Boromir died since he already had 12 corruption (although he probably healed one or two corruption at the end) so I think this whole scenario is out of the question.

Also, Frodo came up with the brilliant idea to go at it alone while the others were fighting uruks (I think there was some self-corrupting there) and still ended up with Sam, but since Sam and Frodo are on the same figure (you could probably carefully saw away Sam if you want) I guess my whole post is moot too.

Archie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
zimonyi wrote:
(you could probably carefully saw away Sam if you want)

HAHA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:

This I can very well see with my mind's eye, nice theme-ing Krieghund!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.