Popular Tags: [View All]
Juanlu Bermudez
Spain
Málaga
Málaga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Shogun, but I don't love it. This is partly because I feel you are alowed to do too many things.
Every turn you can perform almost every action, and pay for it (as long as you hold at least one or two good money provinces). In my group, we always reinforce whatever we like, or build whatever we like. The players do nothing but fill the board with cubes and building chits. The game lacks difficult decisions on how to spend the money.

This may be a nice setup variant:

3 players = 8 chests
4 players = 7 chests
5 players = 6 chests

Every player will have almost the right money to spend on just one turn! Then you always may choose between a powerfull reinforcement, a powerfull building, or an intermediate between the two. You will also feel every turn the pression to get more money for the next turn!

Because loosing a pronvice you are taxing can be so brutal with this variant, the player must give away the province card after the turn is over so he/she can still tax it -by the way we don't like at all when a player can't tax a province because of this, he/she can easily be out of the game.

I will try this variant the next time I play the game, and I'll post my impressions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe on the first turn or two you can get anything you want, but if you do that, I've always found money to be tense and tight later in the game. In my experience the starting money disappears quickly and tough decisions on how to spend the limited resources come very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.