Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm a little bit into our second Road to Legend game, and I have a couple of questions.

First, Power Potions, and the Overlord card that causes the OL to roll all five Power Dice. In RtL, how do those work?

Second, and more in-depth, Feats.
I'm picking up Tomb of Ice soon. I'd like to incorporate Feats into my RtL campaign, but I'm not quite sure what the impact will be. Obviously, they are a huge boon to the players, especially with the prominence of Dungeon Leaders and Lieutenants - the players will definitely want to save their feats for these big targets.

Is there anything for the Overlord in Tomb of Ice, to balance out the benefits of these feats?
How has the effect been of incorporating Feats into Road to Legend?

Third, Spiritwalker. This skill ruined a previous game for me, as it meant that the weakness of the warrior (no good ranged attacks) was negated, and the weakness of the wizard (can't handle standing in front) was negated, creating a practically invincible team. (I don't really want to get into an argument about whether that's good and intended or not.) Reducing it to 5 squares as per the FAQ is a start, but I'm not sure that's enough. I'm thinking of making it exhaust-to-use, so the wizard can do it once per turn, but he can't just stand back and battle, then run to the exit. What do you think? Is 5 squares, exhaust-to-use still a skill you'd want to take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Power Potions and DOOM Power Card add power dice or their equivalent in uprades. For example, drinking a power potion adds 5 upgrades to your roll. If your hero has 3 black dice, he can now have 3 silver dice and 2 black dice (that's 5 upgrades). Same for the OL when using his dice boosters.

2. A lot of players (though I cannot confirm) have said that playing Feats the way the FAQ says to play them (i.e. just like normal) balances out the removal of the Telekensis and Bear Tattoo skills (which the FAQ says to take them out of RtL games).

I still like the idea of treating Feats as Secret Trainer upgrades. All players start with 0 Feats in their Feat Hand, and at the Secret Trainer, you choose either +4 Health, +2 Fatigue or +2 Max Feat Hand. Once you have a positive Feat Hand, you can draw cards as per the normal rules (the one girl in ToI that has +2 to her Feat Hand starts out with a 2 Max Feat Hand).

Mind you, I've never actually tested this, so I'm not sure how well it plays. It just sounds logical

3. Spiritwalker is a good skill, but I haven't found it defeating. If it's that bad for you, then raize the city that offers it. Oh wait, I don't think you can. Looks like it's offered at Shika's Tree, which is a secret trainer, isn't it?

Anyways, if you find it /that/ tough, you and the heroes can agree to just get rid of it completely. Especially with the addition of Feats, I don't think they will be that adverse to it.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, that makes Power Potions really nice, doesn't it. I'll have to let the group know.

I'll see about trying Feats. I like your suggestion about using Training to gain Feats - or, in a more general sense, using campaign resources (i.e., time, money, or XP) to gain them.

The question, then, is: how valuable is the ability to use Feat Cards? Is it worth a black die? Three black dice? A skill card?

Obviously the first card is the greatest return; your returns diminish as you get more cards. (A hand size of 6 isn't much better than a hand size of 5).

Hmm, that gives me an idea. Tamalir upgrades might be a good basis for Feat Cards; spend X points to be allowed to use Feat Cards, then spend a few more for each additional hand size. Anyway, maybe I'll post a separate thread on that in the Tomb of Ice forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another BGG thread linked an FFG thread that's pretty comprehensive...even though it does end up in a few common arguments, just running each other around in circles.

I think I'm going to end up doing something like this:
Start: Draw Feat Cards + 1 extra, keep 1 (like Skills).

Glyph: Roll 4 power dice.
Bronze: Power Enhancement = Feat
Silver: Surge = Feat
Gold: Blank = Feat

The party may choose who will draw each of the Feats they deserve.
Worldwalker can always draw an extra Feat for herself.

Use a Feat in a Dungeon: OL draws a card.
Use a Feat in an encounter/against Lieutenant: OL may draw 1 additional card at the start of the next dungeon.

(I'm avoiding drawing cards immediately in encounters/lieutenants, because I don't like shuffling.)

One other rule: Feats must be kept private, and may not be shown to other heroes, or talked about.
The reason for this is that I'm hoping to reduce strategy discussions and analysis paralysis. A little bit of hidden information can go a long way there. When the other player can only say "Trust me," how can you argue?
I might even try something where "If the Overlord can name the Feat Card you're talking about, you lose it," but we'll see if that's necessary first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.