Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up on a whim today, since Friday is our game night and one of our players really likes Warhammer RPG, so I figured they'd like this game. But, I honestly have /no/ idea what this game is about or like. What am I getting myself into?

I will say just reading the intro has me very intrigued. It feels like an anti-coop game, one where you don't work together but the board can still beat you (i.e. if there is no winner after a certain time, everyone loses). I like the sound of that.

What else can I expect?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen
Belgium
Rotselaar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
have a look at this video-review :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/437246
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
you shouldn't look at this like an anti-coop game, the "old world victory" is almost non-existent.

I think that after playing the first few rounds of this game, you feel like nothing much is getting accomplished, but when the last 2 turns come in, you feel like all of sudden everybody is starting to be really close to the finish which makes the game very tense. It's not uncommon for all 4 players to satisfy the victory condition by the end of the game, and have a winner due to tiebreaker.

Therefore, I think it might only be possible for the OW victory to happen if people are playing too relaxed in the first few rounds and Franz Decree pops up (remove 1 turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To learn about the game, I suggest reading the rulebook with the game in front of you set up for 4 players. Solo a few rounds as you read the rulebook. Take your time reading the cards for each player and considering how they work. This should give you a good idea of how the gameplay flows. Then give the rules a second read and look for little details that you might have missed the first time through.

I don't recommend reading too much of the strategy articles. In my opinion much of the fun in boardgaming comes from figuring out these lessons on ones own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
It's not uncommon for all 4 players to satisfy the victory condition by the end of the game, and have a winner due to tiebreaker.

One of the really interesting things about Chaos is how differently it plays with various groups. I've yet to see all 4 players satisfy victory conditions.

Hatchling wrote:
I don't recommend reading too much of the strategy articles. In my opinion much of the fun in boardgaming comes from figuring out these lessons on ones own.

Neil is a man after my own heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Sharpe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can expect an extremely close and well-balanced game with four distinct play styles. That is, every side is unique, they counter the other powers and advance their own agenda in different ways. All of their components are also unique. Here, every Chaos power has their own deck and their own special mix of daemons and cultists to summon. There are several strategies for each power, but more important than that to me each power has its own special flavor that will influence its behavior no matter what strategy it is going for.

On top of each player having such a different experience, the game is also very well balanced. The fact that battle is resolved within each region each turn, instead of as a result of movement between regions like in many games, prevents a strong phasing player from wiping everyone else off the map in a turn. The nature of the costs and benefits of the different elements of the game make ganging up on one player hard, make it difficult for one player to fall disastrously behind through no fault of her own, and make recovery from a successful bludgeoning much easier. The seemingly short time limit, the board map, and the short paths to victory facilitate finding moves that both advance one power's agenda and hamper one or more others. This is different from less elegant games that force you to choose between helping yourself and hurting someone else.

For me, this game felt like a game of conquest that finally felt more like a game than an episode of bullying. It is also special for allowing you to pick your own style of player with your power choice. Many games have you evolve into having a distinct strategy, if you get the right rolls and locations to get all of a certain type of card or upgrade or something, but this game starts you out distinct from the others.

Also, this game has multiple victory conditions and I think the combination of them all is awesome. I like the term anti-coop and your definition of it. I haven't heard of that before. That would be a good way to describe this game. However, the Old World has a very small chance of winning so you won't have to worry too much about it.

Three pieces of advice for your game group if you don't know what to expect. First, make sure you read the FAQ and get all the win conditions straight. The game has very exact meanings for the words it chooses. Specifically, don't make the mistake I did on my first game and allow players to get one dial advancement for each marker they accumulate over one turn blush . I was silly and forgot about the relevant paragraph. We were wondering why the game only lasted three turns and ended with a decisive Khorne victory.

Second, and this might be unnecessary depending on your group, I would advise you not to fall too heavily into the mindset that this is a "take-that" beer-and-pretzels game full of "screw you!" cards. This game has a lot of countering, but as I said it is balanced and, more importantly, in character. I would not want a first game to fall into rhetoric accusing other players of having it in for them and for then getting "revenge" or something that might leave you with a sour taste. Instead, when Khorne spills into your warpstone infested area, just cackle maniacally but good-naturedly, tell him that this was all part of Tzeentch's plan, and teleport away.

Third, stay on your toes. As DowntimeTown's review said, "[As a god of Chaos] You have to have eyes on the back of your head!". It's hard to appreciate the significance of different events and to get a feel for what's possible in your first games. By being alert, you will have a backup plan for when Nurgle rots all of your units out of an area, and you will realize more rapidly the significance of things like a double-dial advancement for Slaanesh (Slaanesh only needs seven ticks to win, compared to Khorne's 9, so a double dial advancement will probably get him an upgrade and is a huge step towards victory).

I hope your first play with this awesome game is a success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fletchard wrote:
Also, this game has multiple victory conditions and I think the combination of them all is awesome. I like the term anti-coop and your definition of it. I haven't heard of that before. That would be a good way to describe this game. However, the Old World has a very small chance of winning so you won't have to worry too much about it.

Thanks. I just read that first page and thought, "What a cool idea. Still a competitive game, but if you don't stay focuses, no one can win!". Too bad that it doesn't come up more often. I wonder if maybe randomly discarding a few Old World cards could make it a bigger threat?

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I'm reading through the rules now and will most likely play it on Friday

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilian Wolf
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hatchling wrote:
Take your time reading the cards for each player and considering how they work.

Seconded. These "Chaos Cards" totally shape the way the different powers play. Also, it might be a good idea to familiarize yourself a little with the Ruination Cards. Once twelve corruption tokens have been placed into a region, these cards determine each contributor's victory points (two seperate scoring systems at work here!). We totally underestimated the impact of these scores, which led to a Nurgle victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would recommend reading through the rule book once or twice but then print out and use Universal Head's rules summary. That is all I referenced in the games I've played. But the awesome thing about this game is that it's really not all that complicated and now after only a couple of games I don't even need the rules.

Here are some things that confuse my players during their first games:

-Make sure they understand that the domination value printed for each reason represents TWO different stats, both the resistence and the value of that region. Also don't forget that Skaven and Noble tokens modify those stats independently.

-Related to that, make sure everyone understands that your domination = sum of the cards' costs + 1 for each figure. Each figure is only worth ONE.

-Someone mentioned it before but dial tokens != number of dial turns. One or more dial token = one turn, person with more than everyone else - two turns.

-Stress the importance of your players acting like their gods. Last night our Slaanesh player thought he was going to win through war and domination. Of course he finished last. Remind them how they advance their dial. The game is more about developing your VP/dial engine, not Risk-style war.

-Seems trivial but make sure players pay the power point cost for cards and figures. I watch everyone like a hawk and constantly had to remind everyone, even myself!

I could probably keep going but those are the major ones that stick out for me right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.