Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
On those rare occassions when you have the choice to deploy either Doomed World or Colony Ship, look for advice in what goals are in play. If its "Largest Industry" or "Production Leader", use Colony Ship. If its "Most Developments", look to Doomed World. The reasoning is simple: progress towards these goals only happens when you give extra build actions of that type, and you yourself don't use them. Using these one-shots basically means you won't use those builds. So deny the privilege of getting ahead in the "loaded" build by calling the opposite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise, if you feel you won't ever use those "discard to use" abilities, just keep it in line.

Moreso for CS. DW's -1pt is often more harmful than good, even if it helps with with certain goals that I find it's not as good to build even for what it's worth on its own merits, without using its discard power of course. Otherwise, you could build it just to get the Innovation Leader (all powers) 1st goal, or just for the +1 look for a while long enough to make use of it.

If you don't plan on using Colony Ship (e.g. you've been keeping track that all the 5-cost worlds and perhaps some of the 4-cost worlds are already out or through the deck, the game is ending too soon), it may be worth it to keep this in your tableau give you an edge on Greatest Infrastructure. Worth one pt. 2pts if you happen to have Galactic Federation

Ditto with New Military Tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Meyer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards excel in the early game when cards are at a premium.

Later tableau tempo becomes more important.

Recently I started as Separatist Colony with a classic development rush (Public works Interstellar Bank).
I picked up the Colony Ship and Galactic Studios and worked them into the mix turn 2
I drew another colony ship and LSAW after from the IB and PW for turn 3!
Obviously the Colony ship synergizes well with a dev rush

the doomed world works with the settle enablers
Improved Logistics, Terraforming Guild, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yeah, they're not bad if you know that your opponent won't be able to draft your action. But if they might, or if the goals are out ... 4get that and do something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.