Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Many games include playing pieces which represent jet airplanes, Sherman tanks, ships, or automobiles. Other designs feature playing pieces which represent cows, Care Bears, pretty ponies, or dinosaurs. Some titles contain playing pieces which represent witches, farmers, explorers, or knights in shining armor. Humanopoly is the only game I’ve seen (and I have owned hundreds of board games) that has playing pieces which represent human sperm.

Humanopoly is an educational tool designed to teach players ages five and older about sexual reproduction. It is a serious game on a serious subject and deserves a serious review. This ain’t it.

Humanopoly offers players a chance to learn about the facts of life while recreating the delicate pursuit of the female egg by the male sperm. Sperm. Even typing that word makes me feel a little dirty... but why?

The activity of human sperm is not a subject often portrayed in popular culture. Woody Allen filmed a classic comedy sketch about a reluctant sperm. Back in the 1990s we heard a few jokes about sperm and a blue dress. I can’t really think of anything beyond those examples, so this game is probably unique.

The artist who created the sperm playing pieces used in Humanopoly attempted to give each sperm a little personality. They look creepy. Sperm should be anonymous but efficient... like the garbage men who come by every Monday and Thursday. Please just perform that messy but necessary job and move along!

In spite of the "opoly" in the name Humanopoly bears no resemblance to any monopoly title. The first half of the game is a question and answer session while the second half is a chase through a tunnel on the board which represents the fallopian tube. Think Mr. Jack meets Ms. Ovary.

The game board also includes anatomically correct illustrations of the male and female reproductive systems. These drawings are quite explicit. They didn’t seem particularly offensive although a vagina and a penis are depicted. These illustrations are not intended to be "sexy" and based on the diminutive proportions of the gentleman in the drawing it is obvious that he is not of Italian ancestry.

One player represents the egg. The other players represent the sperm. In our sample game my sweetheart maintained her nurturing female role and played the egg while I -- as a healthy heterosexual male -- played with the sperm. Oooops! Now I feel dirty again.

Players roll the dice and can land on spaces requiring them to draw cards. They can earn cardboard score chips for responding correctly.

Fact Cards offer the player a scientific tidbit about human reproduction with an accompanying cartoon illustration. Fact Card #6 shows a frisky human penis at the moment of... oh, crap. Never mind.

Each of the twelve Fact Cards leads the player to a Question Card. These Question Cards require the player to provide a correct answer based on information provided in a previously drawn Fact Card. Here is an example:

If an egg is fertilized by a sperm the woman becomes ___________________.

(The answers on the cards are not multiple choice but perhaps I can offer some assistance.)

A) A high school dropout.
B) Eager to get to a pharmacy within 72 hours of the sexual act.
C) Pregnant.
D) A multimillionaire cocktail waitress if the father is a professional athlete.

Correct Answer: C

The eight Love Cards offer a glimpse into the psychological elements of human reproductive behavior. Love Card #8 informs the players that "Adults enjoy love making because it can be a special and wonderful feeling." It could be that, or maybe BGG was down for maintenance that evening.

There is no tension in the game system and almost no interaction between the players. Aside from collecting a few score chips a round of Humanopoly feels more like a classroom exercise than a board game. However, the game is informative and meets its primary goal as an educational tool.

Once all of the cards have been drawn the game becomes a chase between the egg and the sperm. There is no game here... just random dice rolling until the egg and a sperm bump into each other along the fallopian tube. No saxophone music and no post-coital cigarette. More like a quickie at the old drive-in movie.

I paid fifty cents for this weird game at a thrift store. I would be hesitant to trade this oddity for a shrinkwrapped copy of Space Hulk. A Geek won’t find a board game with sperm playing pieces every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Game Description wrote:
The game provides a unique, creative alternative to traditional methods of teaching children the facts of life.

"Here kid, play this game while your mom and I run to the store."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Think Mr. Jack meets Ms. Ovary.

I don't know if this sentence is hilarious or horrible, considering that Mr. Jack actually did meet Ms. Ovary, and Ms. Liver, and Ms. Green Wobbly Thing That Smells Odd, and introduced them to his friend Mr. Knife. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Pete for another funny review of some forgotten game!

Thanks for the laugh!

pete belli wrote:
It is a serious game on a serious subject and deserves a serious review. This ain’t it.

You were right, there!

pete belli wrote:

The activity of human sperm is not a subject often portrayed in popular culture. Woody Allen filmed a classic comedy sketch about a reluctant sperm. Back in the 1990s we heard a few jokes about sperm and a blue dress. I can’t really think of anything beyond those examples, so this game is probably unique.

Oh, and don't forget the "Every Sperm is Sacred!" Monty Python song. (Oh no, now I typed it to, it makes you feel dirty indeed... )

pete belli wrote:

There is no tension in the game system and almost no interaction between the players.

... and that for a game of human reproduction... shake
How can humans reproduce without interaction???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
don't forget the "Every Sperm is Sacred!" Monty Python song.

Right! I forgot that reference to sperm in popular culture.

Excellent. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your review, I believe I have chosen wisely in naming this game the Thrift Store WTF Find of the Week.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/47092/item/1066921#ite...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:

There is no tension in the game system and almost no interaction between the players. Aside from collecting a few score chips a round of Humanopoly feels more like a classroom exercise than a board game. However, the game is informative and meets its primary goal as an educational tool.

This paragraph reminded me of the scene in Monty Python's the Meaning of Life, where a group of bored British schoolboys are required to watch their professor make love to his wife in the most uninteresting, mechanical way possible. The professor manages to make the whole thing completely unappealing, which sounds like what this game does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
This game will make the perfect Secret Santa gift!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.