Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in September, my house was hit by lightning (we believe). The tally of damages included:

(1) 13" TV ($15 to replace)
(2) Alarm system ($300)
(3) Motherboard on computer ($60 & dinner to friend)
(4) Computer router ($50)
(5) HP laser printer (~$300)
(6) Cable/Phone service disrupted (higher blood pressure from dealing with companies)
(7) Pool filter plug & extension cord disintegrated (neighbor replaced plugs)
(8) Network card (hopefully (?)) ...(Re-installed windows and still not fixed)

Jokingly, I posted to Facebook, last night, "Wonder what October can bring."

Today, I found out: Unemployment.

So....anyone in the market for an award-winning corporate communicator with a focus on internal communications and employee engagement?

Chris

P.S. - Seriously, geekmail me if you are. Really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch....sorry to hear about your string of of bad luck. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be worse, I guess - imagine if I thought this was GOOD luck for me. How bad would my life have to be then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict November will bring good times with friends and family at Thanksgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry to hear that, Chris. That sucks a lot. I hope you find something else very soon. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh that's tough. Best of luck finding a new job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...I'm sure sorry to hear of all your troubles...believe me, been there, done that.

We'll be saying a prayer for you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like lightning alright. My in-laws lived in Florida for a number of years and they got hit with lightning one day. It blew out the TV, dvd player, the in house vacuum cleaner system and their microwave.

I myself live in Kansas City where thunderstorms can be rather intense. As such I have always unplugged our computers in thunderstorms and made sure things like the TV are on major surge protectors. Last year lightning hit a pole not far from our house. It fried the transformer (it actually set the pole on fire) and about 100 yards of power lines. A number of our neighbors lost things like their TVs and computers. We didn't have a single casualty in our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a pool, gee sucks to be you eh?

Only joking, thats tough, but ultimately the broken stuff is just that, its stuff, it costs money but its replaceable.

The job too, you will get another, maybe a better one

Nobody died
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chris.

Sorry about all that. I had lightning hit my house about 10 years ago. Wiped out my entertainment system completely. The insurance ended up upgrading most of it as it was outdated, which was kind of cool.

I'll put some queries to the job world and see what I can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Sounds like lightning alright. My in-laws lived in Florida for a number of years and they got hit with lightning one day. It blew out the TV, dvd player, the in house vacuum cleaner system and their microwave.

I myself live in Kansas City where thunderstorms can be rather intense. As such I have always unplugged our computers in thunderstorms and made sure things like the TV are on major surge protectors. Last year lightning hit a pole not far from our house. It fried the transformer (it actually set the pole on fire) and about 100 yards of power lines. A number of our neighbors lost things like their TVs and computers. We didn't have a single casualty in our house.

The telling sign is the alarm system. The basement has plywood attached to the masonry wall - and, the alarm was added after the electric box, so there's an additional 2x4 attached to the wall to support the alarm panel. When we went downstairs, whatever hit the wires, etc. hit them with enough force to pull the 2x4 off the wall - right over the nailheads. Rather impressive force, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:
You have a pool, gee sucks to be you eh?

Only joking, thats tough, but ultimately the broken stuff is just that, its stuff, it costs money but its replaceable.

The job too, you will get another, maybe a better one

Nobody died

Wow - you're not a grief counselor, are you?

I admitted as much above - this could be worse. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

As far as the pool - I hate it. It's the very bane of my existence. I didn't want it when we bought the house, and I still don't want it. In five summers, I've been in it once, up to my ankles.

Two of the summers were ruined when my wife had serious medical issues that nearly resulted in her death. Last summer, my father-in-law died and we were away for 2+ weeks. This summer just sucked weather-wise.

And, a pool is a lot of work, so - when you don't pay attention to it for a few weeks, it gets unhealthy to swim in (which has been the case).

I've entertained thoughts of tearing it down (it's above-ground); but it's surrounded by a decent-sized deck, in the middle of the yard, so it's easier to keep it (plus, cheaper, since I'd need dirt and sod to replace where it stands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Hey Chris.

Sorry about all that. I had lightning hit my house about 10 years ago. Wiped out my entertainment system completely. The insurance ended up upgrading most of it as it was outdated, which was kind of cool.

I'll put some queries to the job world and see what I can find.

Heh - that was the considerate thing about this strike. It's JUST low enough to not even reach my deductible for homeowners insurance

Thanks for the job help offer. I'll probably forward you a resume, so you have a better idea of what I'm able to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear about your troubles Chris. I'll be praying for you and your family. Good luck on the job search.

kiss
MMB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn Lemur, sorry to hear about the bad times. Lighting can be a bitch, luckly here, if something fries inside your house due to lighting the electricity company has to pay for the fix. So when my HD, power supply and scanner went poop I got new one.

And don't forget the evil face when looking for new jobs:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope things turn better for you! Good luck in finding a new job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commiserations, and I hope your luck turns round soon.

Tangent: I always feel weird thumbing these kinds of posts. "Something awful happened", "Here, have a thumb". I guess because thumbs are usually used for congratulations or appreciation rather than commiserations / sympathy.

Anyway, here, have a thumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Tangent: I always feel weird thumbing these kinds of posts. "Something awful happened", "Here, have a thumb". I guess because thumbs are usually used for congratulations or appreciation rather than commiserations / sympathy.

Anyway, here, have a thumb.
Just remember, a thumb means "I approve of this." So by thumbing this thread, you approve of the bad things that happened to Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bass
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:

As far as the pool - I hate it. It's the very bane of my existence. I didn't want it when we bought the house, and I still don't want it.

Can't agree with you more. I worked in the above ground pool industry for numerous years. They are a major pain in the ass and a money pit.

Anyhow, hopefully things get better for you soon. You are definitely due some good karma after all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.