Franklin Turner
United States
Fultondale
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good review.

My game group played with Pegasus for the first time tonight. This was my second game of BSG. It was a six player game with a cylon leader. One player was Admiral Caine and the airlock was used once (Tom was president and a sleeper cylon - she sent Starbuck to the brig in the middle of a massive cylon attack backed by Scar which instantly turned a good to great game for the humans into a disaster with four civilian ships and three vipers lost.) I was playing Starbuck and with two Running interference, three evasive manuevers and a massive firepower in hand could certainly have dealt with the attack.

The previous game had President Roslynn and the quorum cards were used extensively. There is a heavy contingent of Ameritrashers and wargammers in my group so that probably explains the very different play style. Feeling be damned, we want to win - no matter which side we are on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denee Tyler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You and your gamer friends are nicer than my family - we regularly execute people when playing this game.arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have used Pegasus quite a bit especially when the pilots are Cylons. Remember that the negative only matters if there are those ships in the sector you are firing at. So if you get the raiders early or simply Strategic Plan your attempts you rarely see the negative have any effect.

Of course if you are using the Pegasus CIC and all of the crew is on Pegasus then that is a dangerous game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dirga
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Heh, that's actually quite amusing - in my group, I don't remember weapon controls being used since Pegasus came out, pilots only work as meatshield, because all shooting is done from main batteries, if president isn't using quorum cards, you can be sure he's a cylon and we hardly use reckless checks, because usually nobody wants to risk a treachery card from a destiny deck :>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that you think the Pegasus board is too high-risk to use, since it seems like other people have been saying that they think Pegasus makes it too easy for the humans.

If you are constantly being swarmed by Cylons, I could see why the President wouldn't be using Quorum cards, but otherwise the Quorum cards can be pretty spiffy. =)

If you are getting decimated to the point where you're unwilling to risk population to use the Pegasus weapons, you probably need to start using the weapons BEFORE it gets to that point. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, in our experience Quorum cards are the gamebreakers and unless their is something else in dire need of doing it's what the President does to the exclusion of all else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Basar Cenik
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scheermes wrote:

-Pegasus is hardly used in my group. What I like to call 'Colonial One syndrome' is also apparent in the expansion. No one dares to risk civilians in order to destroy cylons. The airlock, an addition I really looked forward to sits there, unused thusfar. People seem to think it's too mean to execute anyone, even if the penalty is no more then a slap on the wrist, in my opinion.

It is an illusion that using main batteries is risky. If there is no civilian ship in the area, there is no risk; if someone has a strategic planning card, there is no risk; if someone has a calculations card, there is no risk; if Cat or Helo are activating the location, there is no risk....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
solanacea wrote:
It is an illusion that using main batteries is risky. If there is no civilian ship in the area, there is no risk; if someone has a strategic planning card, there is no risk; if someone has a calculations card, there is no risk; if Cat or Helo are activating the location, there is no risk....

Are you sure about the civilian ship thing? I thought it was just "pick one up from the pile and destroy it", not "destroy one in the area"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's definitely a ship in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Yeah, it's definitely a ship in that area.

I'm at home now so I checked the Pegasus game board and the rule booklet and I don't think this is the case. The rules for Galactica damaging Basestars say the raiders damaged should be in the same area on the space, but the space on Pegasus does not say "in the same area", nor is there any reference I can see in the Pegasus booklet about it, so unless there's a reference or FAQ limiting the "destroy" result, I would say you DO destroy one even if there are none in that area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Er, it says "choose a space area to affect". Where do you think it destroys the raiders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I can see what you're saying. I guess we need a ruling on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
I can see what you're saying. I guess we need a ruling on it.

The wording on the space is pretty clear. It says "choose a space area to affect and roll a die (etc)". If there's no civilian ship or viper in that area, then there can be no downside.

I agree though that it would be better if it *were* as you state it should be - as-is, Main Batteries is pretty much a very powerful, completely risk-free location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.