Subject: Looking for a Halloween Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan O'Brien
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a short list that I am choosing from but if there are others I should be considering let me know. My only stipulation is that it be in print. I'm not interested in searching e-bay...

My current choices are:

A Touch of Evil
Fury of Dracula
Last Night on Earth
It's Alive
Chaos in the Old World (not sure if this qualifies but it seems creepy)
Mall of Horror

I own Arkham Horror but I need something a bit shorter and easier.

TIA

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
The above three are really good, haven't played the others on the list. A Touch of Evil will have the creepiest feel to it, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Zombies!!!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your last statement about Arkham Horror you should certainly go with A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game. It's been described as Arkham Horror lite and that's not too far off.

I would only suggest Mall of Horror if you have 4-5 players. Also this is not currently in print and won't be available until 2010. So unless your FLGS has a copy it might be hard to track down.

Fury of Dracula (second edition) is a fine game, just know that it will take anywhere from 2-5 hours depending on how fast your group plays. Still if you love the source material this game is an absolute treat.

It's Alive! is a perfect game for Halloween. It's nice and short plus the theme is just creepy enough that it's not polarizing. I love the artwork and more than a few females were grossed out by the nasty looking cartoon foot lol. If you enjoy bidding games you can't really go wrong with this one.

Humans!!! is another perfect game for Halloween. You play as the zombies and each person controls their own unique faction of the undead. Trying to contaminate and maim as much of the human population is a riot. I recommend going to see Zombieland and then busting out this game.

Fearsome Floors - This is an easy game to get into. Trying to escape from a human devouring monster is silly fun. The artwork is splendid and the game is short and entertaining.

Witch's Brew - If you enjoy role selection you need to get your hands on this one. The game reminds me of Citadels, but with it's own unique twist. You need 4-5 for it to really shine, but this game has been known to entice tons of laughter at our table. Plus there aren't many good games featuring Witches...if you don't like this one you might want to try the memory testing, Wicked Witches Way.

Good luck!

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan O'Brien
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What about Zombies!!!?

I should have mentioned that I actually have Zombies!!! and play it with the kids all the time. It's probably one of the reasons I would lean toward A Touch of Evil over Last Night on Earth. But thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan O'Brien
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Given your last statement about Arkham Horror you should certainly go with A Touch of Evil Supernatural Game. It's been described as Arkham Horror lite and that's not too far off.

This is actually the way I'm leaning. That board just screams Halloween! I was having a hard time deciding if it could be taught easily to a 10 year old.

Mall of Horror and Fury of Dracula are both on my wish list but I was concerned about my ability to teach both to my kids. Fury of Dracula looks fantastic but probably for a different group.

If It's Alive were cheaper I would just toss it on any order. It looks like I'm paying $25 for a card game. Of course I bought Dominion so...

I assume Humans plays just like Zombies with the roles reversed?

I had forgotten about Fearsome Floors. This game may be perfect because it seems like light weight fun. Good for the kids.

Witch's Brew looks cool as well. Maybe next Halloween.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Mayhem is fun, light and thematic.

The miniatures are very well done and the variable roles are fun... the werewolf is looking for bones, the vampire for blood, zombie for brains, et. al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cailinsdad wrote:
Quote:
Given your last statement about Arkham Horror you should certainly go with A Touch of Evil Supernatural Game. It's been described as Arkham Horror lite and that's not too far off.

This is actually the way I'm leaning. That board just screams Halloween! I was having a hard time deciding if it could be taught easily to a 10 year old.

Mall of Horror and Fury of Dracula are both on my wish list but I was concerned about my ability to teach both to my kids. Fury of Dracula looks fantastic but probably for a different group.

If It's Alive were cheaper I would just toss it on any order. It looks like I'm paying $25 for a card game. Of course I bought Dominion so...

I assume Humans plays just like Zombies with the roles reversed?

I had forgotten about Fearsome Floors. This game may be perfect because it seems like light weight fun. Good for the kids.

Witch's Brew looks cool as well. Maybe next Halloween.

I think it is possible to teach A Touch of Evil to a 10 year old. If you play with the basic rule-set instead of the Advanced one you really shouldn't have too much of a problem. The game is actually not all that different than Talisman in that you roll, move and encounter the space you are on. After everyone moves there is a "Mystery Phase" which is very similar to Arkham's "Mythos Phase". Basically it's when the bad stuff happens. It's deeper than Talisman, but if your child can grasp that one they should be able to understand AToE.

I don't find that Humans!!! plays at all like Zombies!!! There is no race to the helicopter, you don't roll to move and combat is much different. Another big aspect is that the humans cannot normally attack the zombies unless another player uses an event card to put a weapon in their hand. Plus the way your zombie takes damage and how you resolve attacking humans keeps things interesting (unless you corner humans they can usually escape). I think that Twilight Creations did a swell job with this game and I'm looking forward to seeing them expand upon it. Plus as an added bonus you can combine Humans!!! and Zombies!!! for one giant game. I haven't tried that yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ebay restriction screws up what would have been my recommendation: Chill: Black Morn Manor.

How about Witch of Salem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Bremen
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wicked Witches Way is a wonderful game for kids, since they tend to shine against adults memorywise. Dawn Under is similar in that.

i do not know if it is halloweeny enough: Pyramid of Pengqueen is also a good childrenadultmix game.

i have all three, and with our kids (two 7, one 10) these three, last one the most, are winners all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Wicked Witches Way (which is great for kids) and It's Alive (which is like a liter version of Modern Art). Also, if you can find it... Betrayal at House on the Hill is classic for Halloween fun (I know it's OOP, but because it was an Avalon Hill game, you can sometimes still find it in toy stores)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mall of Horror's a really fun game if you have at least four people playing it.

I would recommend Gloom if you're group is creative and outgoing.

I would stay away from Zombies!!! and any of its sequels. They tend to bog down and get boring rather quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan O'Brien
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with It's Alive and A Touch of Evil. Going to try and get both played this weekend so I can teach them on Halloween fast.

I also added a couple of your suggestions to my wishlist. We like horror themed games year round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:
The ebay restriction screws up what would have been my recommendation: Chill: Black Morn Manor.

How about Witch of Salem?

Witch of Salem is Arkham Horror lite. It is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Rael
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We see our role as essentially defensive in nature.
mbmbmbmbmb
PnP:
Crypt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cailinsdad wrote:
I should have mentioned that I actually have Zombies!!!
Then you're part way to having Zombie Plague.

You'd need to make your own board, cards, search tiles, and barricades, but it's really not that hard to do. Check out the game's image gallery for ideas on how to do it or check out my build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cailinsdad wrote:
Quote:
What about Zombies!!!?

I should have mentioned that I actually have Zombies!!! and play it with the kids all the time. It's probably one of the reasons I would lean toward A Touch of Evil over Last Night on Earth. But thank you.

You ought to give Last Night on Earth a serious thought. Check this thread for comparions of LNOE and ATOE and Zombies!!!:

http://www.geekdo.com/article/2832653

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Bremen
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just thought of Guillotine . it is fairly creepy, i guess, with all the severed heads... goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cried nervously while being taught the rules to Die Macher, but I don't think that's the sort of horror you're aiming for.

Seconding (or thirding, fourthing, whatever) Last Night on Earth. It's as good as everybody says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also be interested in these comparisons: Fortress AT's Trashdome results are LNOE 23, ATOE 1, but FOD 27, LNOE 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.