Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi--I do most of my current gaming by myself, as I am currently recovering from a severe illness. I'm looking for a Civilization type game that works well solo, a good Euro-style resources game (Agricola is what I'm considering here), and a 'cannonball' era naval battle game to replace Wooden Ships and Iron Men, as my old copy is not accessible, and if I remember, the rules design was not doable for single player battles. I'd prefer small scale naval battles--2-6 ships, but games that work at several scales are also good...

Thanks for any help!

Randy13

edited to correct wording

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Pocket Civ is the best Civ game, period. It's free to print and play, and will drive you crazy with its relentless abuse of you, the gamer.

Hope you feel better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a solitaire variant for WS&IM in The General Vol.27,No.6, which basically used the movement table from Tokyo Express with modifications. Don't know of any others in that period.

Thinking a bit more, Flying Colors is playable solo, as it doesn't need written moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of either of those two games, so that's a good start! Looking at the Flying Colors entry--where do people get the little warship minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow--so Troll & Toad wants 110 bucks for Flying Colors. Is there no naval wargame that is currently in print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Colors is going to be reprinted if I remember correctly and another game in that series was just released as well. I'm not sure if you need Flying Colors or not though.

Ok, I just checked and you DON'T need Flying Colors to play the second game in the series. And Flying Colors is going to be reprinted when 500 orders are placed, it is at 176 right now.

Here is the page for Serpents of the Seas, the second game in the Flying Colors line which is playable solitaire.

http://gmtgames.com/p-232-serpents-of-the-seas.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a lot of fun with Race for the Galaxy - it's a combination civilization and card management game. You need the Gathering Storm expansion with it to play the solo game, but the price of both combined is still cheaper than many other single games.

RFTG is also a very challenging solo game - I think I may have only won about 3 games out of 10, and that's at the easy level. There is also a medium and hard level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
I think Pocket Civ is the best Civ game, period. It's free to print and play, and will drive you crazy with its relentless abuse of you, the gamer.

Hope you feel better!

I completely agree with both of these sentiments. EXCELLENT game and I hope your recovery goes well also.

And I would completely agree with your choice of Agricola for solo play. Terrific stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelif wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

Hope you feel better!

I completely agree with both of these sentiments. EXCELLENT game and I hope your recovery goes well also.

And I would completely agree with your choice of Agricola for solo play. Terrific stuff.

Thanks, guys, for the well wishes and suggestions!

Ran

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidewynnder wrote:
Flying Colors is going to be reprinted if I remember correctly and another game in that series was just released as well. I'm not sure if you need Flying Colors or not though.

Ok, I just checked and you DON'T need Flying Colors to play the second game in the series. And Flying Colors is going to be reprinted when 500 orders are placed, it is at 176 right now.

Here is the page for Serpents of the Seas, the second game in the Flying Colors line which is playable solitaire.

http://gmtgames.com/p-232-serpents-of-the-seas.aspx

Thanks! This one looks even better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.