Popular Tags: [View All]
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay to be honest I havent given this much thought yet but my creative juices are flowing so I wanted to post this and get some peoples thoughts.

I am basically thinking of a reverse "Pizzaman" variant here since I'm thinking eventually the game might need more difficulty added. (See variant section for that variant if your curious)

Lets hope an expansion is coming too or I'll have to come up with my own!

So what I am thinking for the Supply ship is:

Anytime communications go down, a small supply ship is randomly placed on a trajectile track immediately. Roll a D3 to see which track. Roll the D3 again to see how many hit points the ship can take in damage and put the dice near the ship. The ship will have a speed of 3 (or roll if your really ambitious....devil )

If you foolishly shoot down the ship before it gets to dock on the mother, take two damage on the corresponding part of the ship the track was attached too since you just shot down your food! LOL

This general idea can be modified in several ways including the "trigger", hit points, speed, damage to ship, etc to make it harder or easier but I tell you what, you better becareful when you start firing missles! Oh yeah, no more "we'll I'll just fire off a missle and it'll hit whatever is closest". hehe

The only part I am having trouble with is the "trigger". If you are on a difficult mission the Communications might go down 3 times (?), that will be a lot of supply ships.

I mean it would be nice to start by adding in one supply ship and then work up to 2 or 3.

So throw me your ideas on this or any other offshoots you come up with

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its an interesting idea, but I see two problems.

First, and more problematic, what number do you put the supply ship on? Since communication failures don't come with timestamps, there's no good reference for when to place it. Perhaps +1T after the last threat, or at T1 if there haven't been any threats yet?

Second, if the supply ship comes in preceding (or on top of) a threat, you'll wind up having to shoot the supply ship down in order to target the threat. Which isn't necessarily a problem if you're just looking to kick up the difficulty, but keep it in mind. That could be really brutal!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian thanks for your comments.

Good points! I did mention this was an "off the cuff" idea

I was thinking that the ship comes into play immediately but that doesn't really work since you don't know when that really is! LOL

I think your idea of +1T or +2T after the latest threat, that might work. It would also help to avoid the other issue you mentioned which would be particularily nasty as you stated. So if the last threat was zone Blue T+4, a supply ship would enter T+5 or T+6 in zone blue.

I just went through a random mission and communications did go down like 3 or 4 times. That would be a hell a hard! What you could do instead is have only two supply ships, one comes in as soon as phase 1 ends, the other after phase 2 ends. You wont know where it is going to be until close to the end of the phase so you can plan for it but not overly so.

I'm going to have to toy with this some more and I'll keep it in mind when we play this weekend but gladly I wont really need to make the game more difficult for quite awhile either. I just liked the idea of adding in a random element like this once you got better at the game to keep the challenge up for a good team. I also kind of like that it is a bit of an unknown factor although having it at round end you are expecting it, you just dont know where exactly. It also adds in a new element of having to "not" shoot something.

If anyone tries this please post results or any other ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.