5 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: What am I missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ask Me
Sweden
flag msg tools
When it comes to scoring the "6-cost developments? powers" I’m not sure what to do?

My instinctive interpretation of the last page of the rules was, neat, just like matching high score hands in Mah Jong! That is, if, for example, I have at least one Novelty producing world AND at least one Novelty producing windfall world AND Consumer markets AND Expanding colony THEN I have created "Free Trade Association" and am allowed to score as instructed for "Free Trade Association" (That is 2 WP per NPW, 1 WP per NWW and 2 WP for CM and EC). I really liked the idea but the text makes me doubt if this indeed the way it is supposed to work...

Then again, if you don't have to build "sets" why bunch the scores together in these 12 groups and call them Merchant guild, New economy etc?

So, how does it work:-)

Have yet to play the game, but as my opponents are of the "not so used to games" category they tend to get agitated if I don't know the rules like a pro.

Cheers!

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just count up everything listed on the 6-development. The total you get is what the development is worth. Example: You have Free Trade Association, 3 novelty production worlds, 1 novelty windfall world, and consumer markets. FTA is worth 3*2+1+2=9pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ask Me
Sweden
flag msg tools
Arghhhh....

Now I see it! “Free trade association” IS the 6-cost development! That must be why the second sentence has been added to the text since the last rule revision! And still I did not see it by just reading the rules, three times. What put me off the track was the fact that in the text (underneath each 6-cost dev.) they use ALL CAPS for cards that are not 6-cost developments, such as Consumer markets and Expanding colony. It would of course have been clear after the first play when I had actually seen the -12-, doh, cards in play!

Well, well... Thanks for the reply Chris! Though I apparently failed to convey the true depth of my ignorance

Cheers!

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything in all caps refers to a specific card by that name. They even provide icons to the left of that to help you identify what types of cards they are. For examples for Free Trade Association (FTA)...

Consumer Markets is a development card, so it indicates that in all caps to show it's by name with the diamond to the left of it

Expanding Colony is a gray world with the similar convention

I've made an image with all the cards referenced in the rulebook. May be off given your mention of it being updated.

The one thing to look out for is each card can only score once per 6-cost dev.

For example, if you had one production yellow world and Alien Tech Institute (pictured below)...

Alien Tech Institute alone is worth 2pts since it has "Alien" in the title.

A yellow production world also has the word "Alien" in it, but you would only score for one of them. Namely, 3pts for each yellow production world. You would NOT score anthother 2pts for having "ALIEN" in the title for this card.

Mattis wrote:
Arghhhh....

Now I see it! “Free trade association” IS the 6-cost development! That must be why the second sentence has been added to the text since the last rule revision! And still I did not see it by just reading the rules, three times. What put me off the track was the fact that in the text (underneath each 6-cost dev.) they use ALL CAPS for cards that are not 6-cost developments, such as Consumer markets and Expanding colony. It would of course have been clear after the first play when I had actually seen the -12-, doh, cards in play!

Well, well... Thanks for the reply Chris! Though I apparently failed to convey the true depth of my ignorance

Cheers!

M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ask Me
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thank you for taking the time to expand on the issue ackmondual! It now begins to dawn on me how deep this game is beneath the stylish and deceptively, ehm, clinical surface.

Cheers!

M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.