M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargamer, I like the massiveness of ww2 Eastern Front battles. I've very interested in games like Turning the Tables, Ring of Fire: The Fourth Battle for Kharkov, August 1943, A Victory Lost. But I'm somewhat dazzled by the place & time. How does it fit in the bigger context? Third Battle of Karkov? What were the other two? Gorky Station? Is that a place? How does the map of AVL compare to Ring of Fire?

So I'm thinking about a way to make the subject of the game more transparant. I'm thinking of a map (world map, European map) where a rectangle shows the game board. (Something like the TV news, were you know at a glace about what part of the world they're talking about) In the map, a date or time frame. If this could be saved as an image, it would be (IMO) a great addition to the pics galery, so you know where & when this game takes place.

I could dabble around using Paint Shop Pro, Google Maps, Visio & the like. But that would all be very rudimentary. So my questions:

1)- would such maps interest you?
2)- does anyone have a good idea to create this in way that can be used for multiple wargames?

This might also be used for other games, think 1830: Railways & Robber Barons or Formula Dé or any other game of which the gameboard(s) depict some real world part.

(Originally posted in the wargaming forum, http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4020242#4020242 )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Doublepost this message, also 'stolen' from above mentioned thread:

As an example, I made one for A Victory Lost using, as said, Google Maps, Visio and Paint Shop Pro.

However, I'm more thinking along the lines of a widget, or something in Java, that could make this, in stead of this labor intensive way. And although I'm an Office savy and can do things with Excel that dazzle most people, I have absolutely no knowledge of web widgets, Java &the like. Pics like this are (relatively) easy for me to make, but making a tool with which to make pics like this?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.