Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Tanner
United Kingdom
Witney
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is my first ever game of Axis & Allies, my first opinion was that there wasnt enough room on the game board for all those large pieces, especially in Japan, Great Britain and Germany spaces where is looked like a heap of plastic models. Also, some sea spaces werent as big as the ships supposed to be placed there. (talking of ships, how do you guys figure out what is a Cruiser, a transport, a destroyer, etc, they all look similar to me)

I did have fun playing the game, but it was painfully obvious we were all beginners as it took about half an hour to read the rules and then SIX hours to play the game itself, (i lost as the allies ).

One thing i was thinking about, although it would be a shame, is there tokens to use instead of the plastic pieces for the different unit types, that way it might be wasier to see what units are in what province.

A bit of a garbled first ever post, but hi BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cape
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree. I just bought this game a few weeks ago and it took me almost 2 hours to get it set up and I spent half that time trying to determine which pieces were which. Then when you have a battle you have to go back to the book to see which piece you are using to attack with. Seems like a cool game just way over crowded. However I'm a beginner at wargame board games, maybe this is normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Tanner
United Kingdom
Witney
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
As this is another imagining of the original, i think i read that this version of the board is a little smaller.

When the units got moved about a bit and died it wasnt as crowded, while not ideal it helped. Also, having black borders for the Germans made it hard to pick out what province a piece was sitting on at times.

...Also, is it universal rules that you get a smack round the head if you roll the dice onto the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Axis and Allies games tend to have bits of the board that get a bit over crowded. I suppose that's the price you pay when you have fancy plastic pieces rather than counters (although personally I'll take the plastic pieces over counters any day! )

The game takes a long time even once you've you get the hang of it. It's definitely one of those games where you set aside a whole evening to play it. When I play this with my mates we tend not to play to the bitter end, as that can become very long and drawn out. We normally just play until it becomes blindingly obvious which side has won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skippermonkey wrote:
talking of ships, how do you guys figure out what is a Cruiser, a transport, a destroyer, etc, they all look similar to me

This image should help you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interestingly enough the very first version DID have tokens/counters/chits instead of plastic pieces which you could stack to your hearts joy.

When MB got it, they put in the plastic (which I must say I like actually) and changed the face of A&A games and A&A type games forever after.

I think they have copies of the chits someplace on BGG (sorry don't feel like looking for them right now), though the numbers on the are all wrong now since the game has changed somewhat since the original...but if you don't mind making your own tokens I suppose you could copy those pictures and cut them out as representative tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was thinking the same thing myself today. I set-up the game for the first time and found that even using the plastic chips to represent multiple units, it's damned crowded.

This pic I took says it all:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Wang
United States
Temple City
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
A quick way to remember is that destroyers have one flat side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cobalt60 wrote:
Was thinking the same thing myself today. I set-up the game for the first time and found that even using the plastic chips to represent multiple units, it's damned crowded.

This pic I took says it all:

OK, I see it: Since the board is roughly the same size as previous A&A games (Gamemaster or Revised), and they use the bottom portion of the board for record keeping (in the old versions separate charts were provided), there is less overall space than in previous versions. They compressed all the territories to fit into the smaller world map area, and kept the minis the same size as prior versions.

No wonder the board is crowded!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete saras
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
It's down right annoying that they have sooo much space not utlilized in Africa and the South Pacific and they made Europe so small. Everyone I play with cannot understand how the A&A testers did not point that out. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hayes
Canada
Niagara Falls
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a, some what, expensive solution to the overcrowding problem. I took my board to a printer and had them blow it up 50% larger. It cost $60 at Staples but it was worth every penny. There is still a bit of a traffic jam in the water zone adjacent to Western Europe but overall it's much more manageable. I have pics on my camera and will post them as soon as I find my USB cable for the damn thing. This solution might be a bit overboard for some people but I freakin' love this game.

I also made some boxes for the pieces out of dollar store nails containers and rolling boxes with flags for each side I designed using existing flags and super imposing a swastika on the Japanese flag and a hammer and sickle on the East India Trading Company Flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibor Fulop
msg tools
This edition makes me disapointed. The board is simple too small to play. It makes me crazy whenever I try to move any battle group to a hostile area during the combat move phase. In Europe it's a MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. It's totaly kill the game and this not the quality I expected from Wizards
I wish I could send it back to Wizards.angry
I'm sure that noone tested this game properly before it was issued. Wizards just killed a legendary WWII boardgame with this poor quality edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hayes
Canada
Niagara Falls
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the board is way too small and that my solution is not for everyone however the addition of the battle strip is useful for large battles. this does not, however solve the problem if there is more than one large battle going on at once. I fear that the low price, intended for first time buyers will be counterproductive to getting new gamers as it is so cramped that noobs will hate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they still provide the numbered chits and cards to be used as 'staging ares' to keep some pieces off the board? They came in my revised edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
π´†´® ¨®∫å˜
msg tools
You can use Index Cards to make your own blow-up spaces on the side of the map. Also, I've been using task force markers from my Pacific game. I don't really have a problem with not having money, but some people use Monopoly cash or poker chips or money from older versions. I was surprised to see the cruiser, it looks a lot like the destroyer and it seems like they could have been more creative with a new unit. Mobilized infantry would have been nice: like an overland transport to move infantry farther. That would be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.