Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Historical Simulation is a good enough category for the IGA awards, might it also be a category for the BGG Awards?

I suppose the recent flap regarding Small World's nomination in the Wargame category is only a natural reaction given the populist framing of the question and a generalist interpretation of the meaning of the term "wargame". You've basically now got people fighting over the term "wargame". One side seems to be characterized by a more populist viewpoint that takes a generalist interpretation of the term "wargame" as basically a game where there is war. The other side seems to be characterized by your more old school grognard types who have commonly referred to their historical simulations simply as "wargames" for probably decades.

I'm going to doubt that bringing about a fight over the term "wargame" was in the intentions of those who have designed the voting system for the BGG Awards, but that seems to be one outcome so far. If they are satisfied with this outcome, then by all means keep the category as is. But if this outcome is being seen as counterproductive, unnecessarily divisive, and possibly creating alienation amongst grognards, then I would suggest for next year creating a new category of "historical simulation", or possibly even a specific "historical conflict simulation" category if its felt necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nick
Canada
TORONTO
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The terms "historical simulation", "conflict simulation", etc. leave a bad taste in my mouth. Back in university, we were forced by the powers of political correctness that ruled our student council to change our name from "Wargames Club" to "Historical Simulation Society", or some such nonsense, lest we be stripped of our funding.

Indeed, the only time I'll use those terms, or terms like them, is when I need to describe my hobby to some chick, or something ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April VanGelderen
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..... errr sorry to say this, but you got the wrong area. This one would be for (BGG Sugestions) area.goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
I drink and I know things
badge
Night gathers and now my watch begins
mbmbmbmbmb
aprilthev wrote:
..... errr sorry to say this, but you got the wrong area. This one would be for (BGG Sugestions) area.goo

...err sorry to say this but you spelled Suggestions wrong!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls