2 Posts

Knock! Knock!» Forums » General

Subject: Cockroach Poker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this compared to Cockroach Poker? In Knock! Knock! you can say no to cards offered to you, but in Cockroach Poker you have to answer what type of animal you are offered correctly, to avoid them. Does that make the game better or worse?

Xay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tierney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is funny that both games have such a similar mechanic, but feel so different when played.

I have found that people who aren't used to bluffing games take to "Toc Toc Toc"/"Knock Knock" more quickly. This is because they just have to say "Knock Knock" instead of naming a type of bug. A lot of times new players (kids especially) will pick a card to play and then struggle with the naming of the bug, which usually gives away that they are bluffing. This issue tends to go away with repeated plays.

I think the bigger difference between the games is that in "Cockroach Poker", you never want to take a card. In "Toc Toc Toc", there are many times when you want the person to reject your card so that you can have it. This changes the mindset from "What is that player attacking me with" to "Is he attacking me or trying to sneak a good card by me". There is also no option to pass the offered card in "Toc Toc Toc" like in "Cockroach Poker".

Both games reward counting cards. You have more knowledge of what is in a player's hand in "Toc Toc Toc" if you can remember what they draw. Counting is easier in "Cockroach Poker" since you don't have to remember anything -- just count how many of that bug type have already been played and add it to how many are still in your hand.

"Toc Toc Toc" also has a single winner, while "Cockroach Poker" has a single loser. Normally I don't like games with the single loser rules because it encourages "going after" the player who is losing. It is not so bad in "Cockroach Poker" though, because it usually turns out that multiple players get one card away from elimination so no single player ever feels picked on for too long.

My family enjoys both games, although if you asked me to pick one I would choose "Toc Toc Toc" because of the scoring. Trying to make my cards worth the most points is more enjoyable than trying to just not get eliminated first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.