Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why don't the geeks usually like memory games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea why? I have seen some of my favorite games, like Dracula, recieve bad ratings because they make use of the memory mechanic. Why is that considered a bad game mechanic?

Xay.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because some of us have a bad... bad... hmmm... bad something.
37 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no strategy and choice.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because, without even trying, some people's memories are much, much better than others'. I imagine that playing Mamma Mia! against somebody with a photographic memory would be an exercise in humiliation and tedium.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yes as have been said verry many geeks thinks wining is the most important part of a game, and therefor whine a lot about games that don't allow them todo this. (The discusion about if the money in powergrid should be known or not I heared borders on horrible)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no strategy in the memory mechanic.

Most geeks like to explore the game system and experiment with creative new ways to focus their strategy and tactics. The memory mechanic doesn't allow this. You either remember the piece of data in question, or you don't and you have to guess. Boring!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But in games like Dracula there is strategy, but since memory is one of the mechanics in the game many of the geeks don't seem to like it. And with other mechanics too you need skills to be good. Like with Go, some players are better than others, because they have better skills, but that is much more 'accepted'.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
There's no strategy in the memory mechanic.

Most geeks like to explore the game system and experiment with creative new ways to focus their strategy and tactics. The memory mechanic doesn't allow this. You either remember the piece of data in question, or you don't and you have to guess. Boring!

Of course you can be creative and experimental if the memory mechanic is used in a clever way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaykev wrote:
But in games like Dracula there is strategy, but since memory is one of the mechanics in the game many of the geeks don't seem to like it. And with other mechanics too you need skills to be good. Like with Go, some players are better than others, because they have better skills, but that is much more 'accepted'.


Yes they think that because there is memory they lose. That is how I feel that kind of complaint.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For me personally, its partly because a memory mechanic requires me to really concentrate on keeping mental counts or whatever in my head, interfering with the conversation and chatter that's so much of the fun of playing games.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Every try a wargame rulebook?

That is all the 'memory' game I need.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my god! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU GUYS?!

Memory games?!

No one mentioned it yet? *sigh*

Here it comes!

Busen Memo (no time to insert the picture but you get my meaning)



Ahhh... The world is again alright... close one guys.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
didn't we just use to say 6749
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
For me personally, its partly because a memory mechanic requires me to really concentrate on keeping mental counts or whatever in my head, interfering with the conversation and chatter that's so much of the fun of playing games.

Yes, I agree with that. That's a good point. But there is also possible to play memory games without being completely psyco about it. You can still have fun and remember stuff.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to memorize system calls, protocol details and structural data if I want to get through university and it's by far the least enjoyable part of my 'job', why would I want to do it in my spare time when there are a thousand games I could play that use actual problem solving skills (Something much more enjoyable for me) and thought instead of something as boring as retention of utterly insignificant information.

(Not that my memory is generally bad, luckily I'm actually able to memorize things fairly quickly if I have to, I just don't like doing it)
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And quiz games are basically memorygames, right? But on a different level. If you learnt that Oslo is the capitol of Norway 3 years ago, and that's one question in a quiz game today, that's basically a memory game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a cognitive ability, memory has less prestige than reasoning and problem solving. It can also be tedious.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
Harlekin wrote:
Oh my god! WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU GUYS?!

Memory games?!

No one mentioned it yet? *sigh*

Here it comes!

Busen Memo (no time to insert the picture but you get my meaning)



Ahhh... The world is again alright... close one guys.


That is a Mammary Game! You are phonetically confused!
19 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Boulo
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't remember ...

Nick 'The Prophet'
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like games where you only have a real chance if you remember every detail. That doesn't have to be a pure memory game. One of those games where I always lose is Wizard (the card game) because I never can remember which cards have been played. A friend of mine remembers such stuff and is somehow pissed because he thinks I am not trying hard enough. *sigh*
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaykev wrote:
And quiz games are basically memorygames, right? But on a different level. If you learnt that Oslo is the capitol of Norway 3 years ago, and that's one question in a quiz game today, that's basically a memory game.


Right, that's why I loath quiz 'games', where's the GAME?

Oh right, if I don't know the correct answer I can try and guess the it by process of elimination, awesome, we all know what rare a skill that is.

That is no battle of wits, wills or wisdom, it's an indicator of who crammed more redundant information (redundant at least in the age of public libraries and google) regarding the subject at hand into his brain. Wow, I can whip your ass in natural science questions and ancient mediterranian cultures, whoa, you can totally kill me with your knowledge of World War 2 generals and Star Trek trivia. If we find ourselves in a postapocalyptic scenario we could start writing down our vast treasure of knowledge to preserve it for future generations, but until the bombs start falling there's really no point in sitting around a table for two hours, showing that yes, indeed, we're still number one in our chosen fields of interest while doing something that's just no fun.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
And quiz games are basically memorygames, right? But on a different level. If you learnt that Oslo is the capitol of Norway 3 years ago, and that's one question in a quiz game today, that's basically a memory game.


Right, that's why I loath quiz 'games', where's the GAME?

Oh right, if I don't know the correct answer I can try and guess the it by process of elimination, awesome, we all know what rare a skill that is.

That is no battle of wits, wills or wisdom, it's an indicator of who crammed more redundant information (redundant at least in the age of public libraries and google) regarding the subject at hand into his brain. Wow, I can whip your ass in natural science questions and ancient mediterranian cultures, whoa, you can totally kill me with your knowledge of World War 2 generals and Star Trek trivia. If we find ourselves in a postapocalyptic scenario we could start writing down our vast treasure of knowledge to preserve it for future generations, but until the bombs start falling there's really no point in sitting around a table for two hours, showing that yes, indeed, we're still number one in our chosen fields of interest while doing something that's just no fun.

But you can't compare Wits & Wagers with Trivial Pursuit, can you? They are both quizgames, but Wits & Wagers is a lot of fun to play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Too much like school!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ethier
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
There's no strategy and choice.


I disagree. This is not always true and cannot be generalized. In some games, the memory aspect is only one more variable to factor in before you make your decision.

A good example is Mamma Mia! I just love this game and I feel that disregarding this game right off the bat because there is a memory aspect is totally unjust. Yes if you have a perfect memory it helps but is no way a key to success. In Mamma Mia! a player can play a pizza even if the ingredients are not all present in the pile hoping to get the ingredients in his hand before the end of the round. Another player seeing this, has the choice to call the bluff or not and capitalize on it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
Because, without even trying, some people's memories are much, much better than others'. I imagine that playing Mamma Mia! against somebody with a photographic memory would be an exercise in humiliation and tedium.


Yes, like any trick-taking game, card-counters have a very real advantage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.