United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply stated, before New Caprica:

Any ship that is destroyed showing just 1 pop loss is returned to the supply. All other ships are removed from the game as usual.

This means that approximately half of all ships destroyed pre-NC will make a return once the NC phase comes around. It also avoids anti-thematic factors such as Cloud 9 being destroyed and then popping back at the end of the game (only the "generic" ships remain).

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the destination (Kobol or New Caprica) was hidden until the sleeper phase, at that point one of the cards was picked at random.

Meant killing population is rather risky if Kobol is the destination ... seemed to work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
This idea sounds very simple to apply (and you know how I like simple variants ) and if it means that human players won't sacrifice their ships at the end anymore so that NC is easier, I'll be sure to use it in our playgroup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea to choose between Kobol and NC at random in the sleeper phase looks very attractive to me, while i think the suggestion to return all pop 1 civilians to supply may be a working game mechanism but is difficult to explain thematically. Imho there should be a reward for those who bring more civilians to NC to make it look more attractive to save as much civilians as possible on the way there.

What do you think of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Played another variant, this time when we'd got to the sleeper phase (after loyalty cards were dealt out) the president chose which destination ... made for lots of accusations as we'd been hit quite hard on population.

Not sure it's better than the random pick - but if your group is heavily into the metagame it adds another factor

We had some discussion afterwards, some felt it was a bit of a lottery and there was a suggestion the president chooses after the next jump following the sleeper phase (so you have some chance to test the loyalty of the president and then airlock the frakker before they can doom you), might try that next time ... [jump after the sleeper phase I mean, airlocking is another matter]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea Nigel!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.